Now that we have a QB1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Yes.  Multiple.  The first one that pops into my head, due to their similar injury histories:

Nick Harvey.

I realize I wasn't specifically clear about the P5 transfer being a QB position. Being the QB1 for 10 games and getting PT as one of the 8 corners in a rotation are two completely different things. Morris has Rogers' experience but at the P5 level.

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I realize I wasn't specifically clear about the P5 transfer being a QB position. Being the QB1 for 10 games and getting PT as one of the 8 corners in a rotation are two completely different things. Morris has Rogers' experience but at the P5 level.

I really do think CMorris can put up big #s in EMorris’ offense.   We’ll see if he can stay healthy.  But if we need him to scramble & play hero-ball, I don’t know if his knees will allow it.  

He’s missing Spring ball.

He’s missing Maclin.

He’s likely going to be playing from behind a lot due to the defense.

I’m just not expecting CMorris to be much better (if at all) than Rogers, and we were not bowl eligible.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

29 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I really do think CMorris can put up big #s in EMorris’ offense.   We’ll see if he can stay healthy.  But if we need him to scramble & play hero-ball, I don’t know if his knees will allow it.  

He’s missing Maclin.

I’m just not expecting CMorris to be much better (if at all) than Rogers, and we were not bowl eligible.

I don’t think he’s going to need to play hero ball.  The o line beefed up, we potentially bettered our RB room, and we brought in some talented receivers  

This offense may not have a 1K receiver, but I don’t think it needs just one person to be the guy. 

Rogers/Maclin attributed their early success to Summer workouts. CM will be here for those. 

I have a bit more hope for the defense than the majority of our fellow GMG members.  I don’t think we’re going to pitch shut outs, but I believe we’ll be improved. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

He’s missing Maclin.

I expect him to be about the same.  Maybe a bit better in the passing game, whilst sacrificing some running threat.

That's all we need, though.  Keep the offense where it was at while we figure out the disaster that was the other side of the ball.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I expect him to be about the same.  Maybe a bit better in the passing game, whilst sacrificing some running threat.

That's all we need, though.  Keep the offense where it was at while we figure out the disaster that was the other side of the ball.

And the offensive line will be a big drop off losing their best player in Febeche.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

7 minutes ago, greenminer said:

That was an issue last season. Even when our defense was struggling Moriss was still running plays as fast as possible.  I understand that is what we would like to do but as a head coach he needs to realize when his defensive struggling that slowing down the ball on the offense can help support them.

• Upvote 1

He’s missing Maclin.

I'm also worried about his health. My hope is with the beefed up offensive line and added bulkier running backs that he'll be kept upright more. The offensive line performance regressed last year. It's a miracle Rogers didn't get hurt.

No Maclin for sure but he gets a sophomore Sides to work with. He also played with Blair Conwright at TCU. With the transfer outs, I'd imagine Conwright was going to have a bigger role next year than he did this past season and there should be some familiarity there. Plus, Morris is already going to be close with going to TCU and he's  a local kid so he should be able to get unofficial reps with receivers during the spring and/or summer if that's allowed. Just running routes with a few friends.

About playing from behind, isn't that where Rogers biggest moments came? The second halves against Tulane and Memphis? It would be disingenuous to say he efficiently moved the ball against good opponents until those games were out of reach. He made them close and even took the lead against Memphis but man was there some ugly football in competitive games. 

• Upvote 3

56 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Maclin was a 400 yard receiver before Eric Morris arrived. I don’t think it’s crazy talk to think someone else will come up to fill that void. 

You Crazy Lost Your Mind GIF by VCG Construction

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

1 hour ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Maclin was a 400 yard receiver before Eric Morris arrived. I don’t think it’s crazy talk to think someone else will come up to fill that void. 

It feels like we’ve added 20 receivers from recruits/transfers. Let’s Money Ball this and re-create him in the aggregate 

On 1/14/2024 at 11:29 AM, MeanGreenTexan said:

“Big Name”?

Sheesh.

Can Morris come in and execute the offense against AAC opponents?   Sure!  I believe!

Is he going to have a better season than Rogers (especially including rushing stats)?  Doubtful.   He’s not the guy that’s going to lure a bunch of big time players here.

By UNT standards, I would consider getting a hometown, P5 starting QB with good production in Chandler Morris a big name. No, we won’t attract the Caleb Williams type QB, but I’m sure if you ask any football fans of the AAC, they would know or have heard of Chandler Morris. 

• Upvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

9 hours ago, 3_n_out said:

By UNT standards, I would consider getting a hometown, P5 starting QB with good production in Chandler Morris a big name. No, we won’t attract the Caleb Williams type QB, but I’m sure if you ask any football fans of the AAC, they would know or have heard of Chandler Morris. 

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b9522ya06v5tvigbjdnmx4

Again, another newer (at least, your handle is) poster throwing this fun little qualifier around.

It does not appear my dear Alma Mater will ever escape this thought from it's own fans.   When do we get to expect more?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

50 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b9522ya06v5tvigbjdnmx4

Again, another newer (at least, your handle is) poster throwing this fun little qualifier around.

It does not appear my dear Alma Mater will ever escape this thought from it's own fans.   When do we get to expect more?

A little over 10 years ago, I showed up for freshman orientation with absolutely zero knowledge of college athletics. I was always a sports fan but nobody in my family had gone to college so I didn't really know much about it. My orientation leader told our group of wide-eyed incoming freshmen that UNT football was garbage and the only exciting thing about basketball was the incoming one-and-done prospect who I'd later find out was Tony Mitchell. If it's still like that, minus the one-and-done prospect to sell, that will explain why we always get the "by UNT standards" and dead student attendance. How are our orientation leaders selling the athletic programs?

I've caught a few A10 and Missouri Valley basketball games and attendance always looks good, even in some of the bigger basketball arenas. Why is their attendance good but the AAC, CUSA, and Sun Belt basketball programs can't figure it out?

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Thanks 1