Temple (1/13/24)

CMJ

1 minute ago, Matt from A700 said:

It is sad but I mostly agree about the NIT, but I also think since Covid, student engagement at non-major schools has taken another noticeable dip.

Sidebar on the Covid thing: I’ll forever be salty that our NCAA tourney win happened in the Covid year and I feel we didn’t get to properly “experience” it the way we should have. 

• Upvote 4
  • Oh Boy! 1

1 minute ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Sidebar on the Covid thing: I’ll forever be salty that our NCAA tourney win happened in the Covid year and I feel we didn’t get to properly “experience” it the way we should have. 

Just imagine if we had finished off the 19-20 season with a conference tournament win and got to go two years in a row. Hopefully we can get back soon.

21 minutes ago, CMJ said:

It's usually tough once league play starts.  Look at all the upsets throughout the country this past week.

Yes, Houston, Purdue, and Kansas all lost conference games on the road...

to Iowa State, Nebraska, and UCF, lol.    You just never know on any given night.

10 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

We won the Conference the Covid year and the conference tournament got cancelled.

North Texas Mean Green 2019-20 Regular Season NCAAM Schedule - ESPN

9 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

The real story was UTSA’s inability to play smart ball and close this game out.  They are who they are for a reason.  

Too many 3s down the stretch. Reminds me of... our program up in Denton at times. Still, the foul differential was 29-18 in favor of Memphis which translated to 43 free throw attempts for Memphis and 21 for UTSA. Hard to win when the other team gets that many free throw attempts and the difference is that lopsided.

6 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Yes, Houston, Purdue, and Kansas all lost conference games on the road...

to Iowa State, Nebraska, and UCF, lol.    You just never know on any given night.

The Mississippi team that beat us soundly also beat #5 Tennessee tonight.  Top ten OU in trouble right now.  This stuff happens!

7 minutes ago, MCMLXXX said:

We won the Conference the Covid year and the conference tournament got cancelled.

North Texas Mean Green 2019-20 Regular Season NCAAM Schedule - ESPN

I think he was refererring to the fact that 20-21 we still had to deal with limited capacity games (including the conference tourney) and the NCAA Tournament being completely held in Indianapolis, essentially eliminating most people from attending the Purdue/Villanova games.

• Ray 1

13 hours ago, NT80 said:

Temple fan starts thread on Temple fan forum about the upcoming NT game, knowing nothing about us.  Quickly changes his prediction upon doing research.  I feel this is how most non-UNT fans still view us.

https://247sports.com/college/temple/board/104514/Contents/temple-at-north-texas-game-thread-and-predictions-225199302/?page=1

Reading the first few sentences of his opening comment was hard. Do they not teach punctuation at Temple? Those run on sentences had me reading over and over again to figure out what he was saying.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, NT80 said:

Temple fan starts thread on Temple fan forum about the upcoming NT game, knowing nothing about us.  Quickly changes his prediction upon doing research.  I feel this is how most non-UNT fans still view us.

https://247sports.com/college/temple/board/104514/Contents/temple-at-north-texas-game-thread-and-predictions-225199302/?page=1

"Did well in the NIT"

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, golfingomez said:

"Did well in the NIT"

For fun, other interpretations of our successes:

"Looks like the postseason has been kind to them."
"Ayeeee, they've won a few games the last few years."
"Took out some team called Purdue in the NCAA years ago.  Had to look them up."

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

You would think the fanbase of such a storied program would be more educated about the college basketball landscape. Maybe they stopped caring when John Chaney retired.

Yes, I think their glory days are behind them.  Their posts on their last game loss to ECU indicated they are struggling to get fans to come to games.  Most are less than 2000.  Some fans mentioned the campus or surrounding area is dangerous at night causing people not to attend.

7 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

The fact many think they'll score in the mid to high 60s is interesting.

They live and die by the 3-pt shot.  Several of their fans don't think they have the shooters to play that style.  If we defense their outside shooters well it should be an easy day.

1 hour ago, GoMeanGreen1999 said:

Anyone have an update on Jones or Buggs?

Neither are suited up. Scott had me worried at first we he was in a tank top and different warm ups than others. Also just standing around for the longest, but he did come out in shorts and shoot for a bit finally. 

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1