UTA (12/23/2023)

Big Z

7 hours ago, MrAlien said:

It was a win against a team they were supposed to beat.  That said, the team was way to dependent on shooting the 3, they ran the exact same play every time, and even when UTA would pressure the perimeter UNT struggled to find ways inside.  They did get away with some sloppy play, particularly while in bounding the ball and under the basket, AAC teams will punish sloppy play.  One trend I am liking is the rebounding on both sides of the floor and the way the guards are playing on defense. 

Yes, I am with you. I enjoyed this win. Looking at the glass half empty side, we did rely on 3 pt shooting at a crazy pace to do it. Kinda like the way the Mavs (Dallas that is) play. Live or die by it. 

If this does unlock some shooting for us, it is at a perfect time. I guess it will be interesting to watch!

• Upvote 1

I’m still trying to figure out what my expectation is for us this conference season. The way we absolutely beat down UTA and Towson but have lost those extremely winnable games like against St. John’s, LSU, Fordham, etc. has me still confused. Definitely saw what I was hoping to out of Walker, and Noland and Buggs had solid games after scuffling a good bit so far this season.

Also, this one boosted us up 30 spots in the NET from 126 to 96.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, BigWillie said:

Yes, I am with you. I enjoyed this win. Looking at the glass half empty side, we did rely on 3 pt shooting at a crazy pace to do it. Kinda like the way the Mavs (Dallas that is) play. Live or die by it. 

If this does unlock some shooting for us, it is at a perfect time. I guess it will be interesting to watch!

But the 3 point shooting has been negligible for most of this season and definitely the losses.

6 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

I’m still trying to figure out what my expectation is for us this conference season. The way we absolutely beat down UTA and Towson but have lost those extremely winnable games like against St. John’s, LSU, Fordham, etc. has me still confused. Definitely saw what I was hoping to out of Walker, and Noland and Buggs had solid games after scuffling a good bit so far this season.

Memphis and FAU are clearly in a tier of their own, but we should be in that next tier. 

• Upvote 6

44 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Memphis and FAU are clearly in a tier of their own, but we should be in that next tier. 

Yeah we are definitely going to be a 2 bid conference minimum… just not sure we are getting one of those bids. Memphis and FAU look like bonafide top 25 teams if not top 10. It’ll be fun to see how we stack up against elite teams, hope we can click more by then

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Remember how long it took Kai to really start contributing last year? I am hoping this is a turning point game for us. But....I did say that after Towson too. 🫤

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, BigWillie said:

Remember how long it took Kai to really start contributing last year? I am hoping this is a turning point game for us. But....I did say that after Towson too. 🫤

For sure. Definitely have that outlook with Noland and Buggs. If those two can improve their play similarly to how Kai did last year then we’ll be really dangerous.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

For sure. Definitely have that outlook with Noland and Buggs. If those two can improve their play similarly to how Kai did last year then we’ll be really dangerous.

I can help both of them... drive the dang ball to the hoop see it go in a few times, buggs take the wide open 3's you get off dribble penetration from a team mate and lets do the dang thing!  I was pleased with Jones, and Walker with how aggressive they were to the basket yesterday.  Every guard should be following suit.  I also enjoyed Aaron Scott finally getting back to being aggressive and looking to get his shot off the bounce.  

This team should push every team we play in conference IMO.  The determining factors in how long we can stay in the competition will depend on 1. Rueben and the bigs staying out of foul trouble 2. How well we share the basketball offensively.  

I think when those things happen we are a tough out, because lets face it the defense hasn't even taken a step sideways I think they've progressed we are longer and more athletic.   I would really like to see Moore used instead of Noland bringing the ball up the court when Jones comes out.  Noland will struggle in conference play when Jones has to get a break.  Moore must be behind defensively that is the only thing I can think of that is keeping him off the court.  I would assume if you are Hodge you have to know Jones is gone after this year so get the young guy some minutes in non conference and see if he can earn more or if he isn't ready you know by conference play.  That is my last head scratcher for this ball club.  He really is the next PG but doesn't play much.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

56 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

I can help both of them... drive the dang ball to the hoop see it go in a few times, buggs take the wide open 3's you get off dribble penetration from a team mate and lets do the dang thing!  I was pleased with Jones, and Walker with how aggressive they were to the basket yesterday.  Every guard should be following suit.  I also enjoyed Aaron Scott finally getting back to being aggressive and looking to get his shot off the bounce.  

This team should push every team we play in conference IMO.  The determining factors in how long we can stay in the competition will depend on 1. Rueben and the bigs staying out of foul trouble 2. How well we share the basketball offensively.  

I think when those things happen we are a tough out, because lets face it the defense hasn't even taken a step sideways I think they've progressed we are longer and more athletic.   I would really like to see Moore used instead of Noland bringing the ball up the court when Jones comes out.  Noland will struggle in conference play when Jones has to get a break.  Moore must be behind defensively that is the only thing I can think of that is keeping him off the court.  I would assume if you are Hodge you have to know Jones is gone after this year so get the young guy some minutes in non conference and see if he can earn more or if he isn't ready you know by conference play.  That is my last head scratcher for this ball club.  He really is the next PG but doesn't play much.

Why wouldn’t Edwards be the next point guard? Who says Ruben leaves? He and Scott can come back for one more run next season. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Andrew said:

Why wouldn’t Edwards be the next point guard? Who says Ruben leaves? He and Scott can come back for one more run next season. 

Edwards would be the next point guard (even if he really is a shooting guard). CRH has already put that on film over the past few games. But C. Moore fan club members will have their Xmas wishes granted (in a few months) when Edwards is in the portal. Moore will have the entire offseason and non-conference schedule to either be the backup to Jones if Jones returns or the starter if Jones leaves. 

C. Moore - a walking triple double that CRH and staff are hiding from the NCAA. 

Hoos next? Let’s make the case for A. Cotton getting A. Scott’s minutes to see what he can do if A. Scott decides to leave. Robert Allen won’t be back because he is out of eligibility. We need to get (insert name) some minutes so we can see what next year will look like. Meanwhile the team is currently 6-5. 

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, HoosMeanGreen said:

Edwards would be the next point guard (even if he really is a shooting guard). CRH has already put that on film over the past few games. But C. Moore fan club members will have their Xmas wishes granted (in a few months) when Edwards is in the portal. Moore will have the entire offseason and non-conference schedule to either be the backup to Jones if Jones returns or the starter if Jones leaves. 

C. Moore - a walking triple double that CRH and staff are hiding from the NCAA. 

Hoos next? Let’s make the case for A. Cotton getting A. Scott’s minutes to see what he can do if A. Scott decides to leave. Robert Allen won’t be back because he is out of eligibility. We need to get (insert name) some minutes so we can see what next year will look like. Meanwhile the team is currently 6-5. 

Why would Edward enter the portal….

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, HoosMeanGreen said:

But no other true PG would. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Hahaha, good one. What do you define as a "true PG"?

If it's assists, which is the key stat you can measure for a facilitating player, you might want to check stats before you make assine statements.

Edited by BigWillie
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, BigWillie said:

Hahaha, good one. What do you define as a "true PG"?

If it's assists, which is the key stat you can measure for a facilitating player, you might want to check stats before you make assine statements.

Assists? 🤣🤣🤣 “Assine statements” 🤣🤣🤣 Currently #283 in Assists/Turnover ratio. Elite by YMCA standards. You literally just proved that 1. You have NEVER played the game and 2. You have no idea the responsibilities of a PG. If you did, then you would say nothing in your show of support for the PG.

Who on this team has the PG made better? Who is he “finding” for easy buckets? How has his leadership on the floor translated to team success? I could go on, but I won’t. The PG has a solid grade of F thus far and if he doesn’t show dramatic improvement at his position, then prepare for a long short season. He is as much a PG as Sissoko is a Center. May as well consider me a bowler since I own a bowling ball. 🎳 #GutterballKing

IMG_2018.png

Edited by HoosMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, HoosMeanGreen said:

Assists? 🤣🤣🤣 “Assine statements” 🤣🤣🤣 Currently #283 in Assists/Turnover ratio. Elite by YMCA standards. You literally just proved that 1. You have NEVER played the game and 2. You have no idea the responsibilities of a PG. If you did, then you would say nothing in your show of support for the PG.

Who on this team has the PG made better? Who is he “finding” for easy buckets? How has his leadership on the floor translated to team success? I could go on, but I won’t. The PG has a solid grade of F thus far and if he doesn’t show dramatic improvement at his position, then prepare for a long short season. He is as much a PG as Sissoko is a Center. May as well consider me a bowler since I own a bowling ball. 🎳 #GutterballKing

IMG_2018.png

You are comparing him to the entire country. He isn't Luka. I am not saying he is the best PG in the country, I am saying he is the one facilitating the offense. Also, assists mean jack if the player you pass to doesnt make their shot, which I have seen waaay more than not on this team. There are also things he does that don't show up on the stat sheet. Since you played the game, you should know that of all people. 

He has to be a little bit between a shooting PG and a "true PG" since we don't really have anyone else that can do that.

Edited by BigWillie
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1