Conference opponents 2024

GMG_Dallas

image.png.e9d79e24e521d8a658213f5b8af48620.png

We go from vs. SMU, Rice, South Florida, and Charlotte and @ UTSA, UAB, FAU, and ECU to:

vs. Army, ECU, Tulane, and Tulsa and @ FAU, Memphis, Temple, and UTSA.

Exchanging Rice, Charlotte, and UAB for Tulane, Memphis, and Tulsa gives us another tougher schedule. I was really looking forward to playing the "cupcakier" teams to give us an easier route to six wins.

Glad we keep the UTSA road trip. Memphis is on the table now, too.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

image.png.e9d79e24e521d8a658213f5b8af48620.png

We go from vs. SMU, Rice, South Florida, and Charlotte and @ UTSA, UAB, FAU, and ECU to:

vs. Army, ECU, Tulane, and Tulsa and @ FAU, Memphis, Temple, and UTSA.

Exchanging Rice, Charlotte, and UAB for Tulane, Memphis, and Tulsa gives us another tougher schedule. I was really looking forward to playing the "cupcakier" teams to give us an easier route to six wins.

Glad we keep the UTSA road trip. Memphis is on the table now, too.

Yeah that was my first thought too - we get hosed again with the tougher schedule.  That said, I am excited for Memphis because our options for good road trip games were limited and I've always wanted to go to the Liberty Bowl.  Plus Memphis (though rough) is a cool city to visit.

16 minutes ago, tmjerm said:

Yeah that was my first thought too - we get hosed again with the tougher schedule.  That said, I am excited for Memphis because our options for good road trip games were limited and I've always wanted to go to the Liberty Bowl.  Plus Memphis (though rough) is a cool city to visit.

Pro tip:  Area around the Liberty Bowl is about as close to a demilitarized zone as there is in the United States.  Do not go anywhere alone.  Highly recommend going with a group and taking LYFT/Uber.  

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, tmjerm said:

I was already planning for trips to Mobile and Lubbock, but yeah outside of UTSA I was thinking driving to Birmingham might be in the bag?

Of course it will come down to the actual dates which I believe we won't know until February but I would love to make those 4.

If Temple falls around my wedding anniversary (Oct. 28th) we might could incorporate that into our anniversary trip if we were to go to Philly/DC.

1 minute ago, NT80 said:

The season was a blur.

Maybe that's a good thing. 😂

I will actually commend the AAC for how they have incorporated past schedules. Like in 2022 we played AT Memphis in nonconference and got them at home in 2023. We hosted SMU in 2022 and got them on the road in 2023. We played in San Antonio in 2022 and got UTSA at home in 2023. This was all before we were in the AAC and they had no obligation to make sure none of our opponents got two straight home games in a series.

And SMU leaving could have thrown a wrench in things, but despite our tougher revised schedule, we still got Tulane at home and Memphis/UTSA on the road in 2024 to maintain the rotation.

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

How did we get "hosed again"?

Just saying that we had one of the tougher schedules in the league last year and didnt play as many of the weaker teams.  This year we play Tulane, UTSA, and Memphis again.  Those three finished 2, 3, and 4 in the conference last year only behind the now departed.

4 minutes ago, tmjerm said:

Just saying that we had one of the tougher schedules in the league last year and didnt play as many of the weaker teams.  This year we play Tulane, UTSA, and Memphis again.  Those three finished 2, 3, and 4 in the conference last year only behind the now departed.

yeah, i think UTSA and Tulane are going to take an expected step back this year, Memphis will probably be about the same... as far as the rest of the schedule...

Army - beatable

ECU - beatable

Tulsa - beatable

FAU - beatable

Temple - beatable

we got rid of SMU, which in my opinion is head and shoulders above everyone else on our schedule next year (including non-conf TTU) Rice is probably somewhere where we are in terms of program status, and everyone is saying Charlotte is doing crazy things in the portal. so i don't think the schedule change is a negative at all

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

yeah, i think UTSA and Tulane are going to take an expected step back this year, Memphis will probably be about the same... as far as the rest of the schedule...

Army - beatable

ECU - beatable

Tulsa - beatable

FAU - beatable

Temple - beatable

we got rid of SMU, which in my opinion is head and shoulders above everyone else on our schedule next year (including non-conf TTU) Rice is probably somewhere where we are in terms of program status, and everyone is saying Charlotte is doing crazy things in the portal. so i don't think the schedule change is a negative at all

Knowing what we knew before the end of the season, sure.  But we have no idea who we (or are opponents) are really going to be either so I guess we'll have a better feel when the dust settles on rosters.

15 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

Army - beatable

ECU - beatable

Tulsa - beatable

FAU - beatable

Temple - beatable

Why do we not get to play Rice at least every other year? They have been in the same conference with us and are in the same state but we play Tulane in back to back years. Doesn't make sense. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Texas Stranger said:

Hopefully @UTSA is scheduled for Thanksgiving Saturday.  It's past time for us to not have that home date and going down there on the long weekend has been well-attended by our fans.

I agree, but does it bother anyone else that our fans will travel down there on Thanksgiving weekend but won’t come to a home game?

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Udomann said:

Does any of this matter? Aside from coaches, every team will be 75% portal kids. Who knows wth kind of team anyone will be the next year regardless of record.

This is really the sad state of college football now.  Fans are hesitant to embrace players, thinking they will transfer before a Bowl game or could be playing for an opponent the next season.  I hate the constant change.  No building up a team to a senior level, it's just rebuild "every" year! 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MeanGreenGlory said:

Wasn't a tougher schedule a natural part of moving to a better conference?

I'd much rather have a tougher schedule with these teams than still being in CUSA or the Sun Belt...

We should focus on elevating our program rather than wishing for an easier schedule.

While I mostly agree with you, that doesn’t mean I want to have the most difficult schedule in the conference since the scheduling is unbalanced.

• Upvote 2