What should our priority be: QB or Defense?

NT80

43 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

You think utsa can afford a higher price tag?  

I don’t think this has anything to do with price. Sorry, but Seals stats aren’t overwhelming and people are t jumping through hoops to sign him. It would be nice to have a local kid, but let’s see how this plays out. 

Rogers' ULM stats weren't overwhelming either. Seals' completion percentage has gone down since his first season but during that 2020 season, he completed 64.8% of his 287 pass attempts, all of which was against SEC opponents. There's a lot of positive to work with if our coaches would go get him.

Screenshot_20231210_131306_Chrome.jpg

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Cash is still verballed to us, right?  IIRC he gets to Denton this coming semester.

True, but expecting a true freshman to come right in and start at QB is a big ask.  We need a solid transfer with the ability to start right away, and if Cash can somehow compete and take that spot, more power to him (and us).

• Upvote 1

On 12/9/2023 at 12:09 PM, emmitt01 said:

As fans, our focus should be buying tickets, attending games, giving and setting our program up to compete.   

Or our focus can be the same as every year…watching our team lose and wondering why someone else isn’t doing something about it

I don’t think that applies over 95% of the people who care enough to be on gomeangreen.com in the first place.  This program has had more than enough support to be far better that it has been most of the past 15 years.  Ironically list of people on this board like to crap on everything Dickey achieved we he was the head coach who never got the benefit of competitive financial investments being made into the program.  We have seen so many other G5 programs do far more with comparable resources or less since the last season at Fouts. Field.  I could list all of them but we only have to look in own conference to see the most frustrating example of a program embarrassing us with its competence; UTSA.  So beating drum for more money is tried.  A lot of fans can’t even afford the tickets they want so it’s a hard sell to tell them to throw that extra cash that would get them a better seat down what appears to be a black hole (Caponi’s contract being the latest event horizon).   My closet is full of more North Texas gear than unaffiliated gear or gear representing ANYTHING else.  I donate more and go to more games than anyone I know that doesn’t visit this board regularly.  

Think about how you are a prospective transfer or incoming freshman recruit.  You have 4 offers all at the G5 level to play defense.  All other factors being relatively equal how much more NIL money would it take for you to take a risk on the  statistically, worst defensive coordinator in college football? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DentonLurker said:

I don’t have any doubt that this staff knows what they need and want at QB. If UTSA and UNT are not making him their top priority, both staffs obviously feel there are better options out there.

Totally agree.  Sight unseen, I trust we’ll be fine at QB and look forward to seeing who suits up.  

3 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

True, but expecting a true freshman to come right in and start at QB is a big ask.  We need a solid transfer with the ability to start right away, and if Cash can somehow compete and take that spot, more power to him (and us).

Yep.  And expect redshirting to be avoided, as we want the most out of the HS kids before they move on.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Meangreen Fight said:

We have seen so many other G5 programs do far more with comparable resources or less since the last season at Fouts. Field.  I could list all of them but we only have to look in own conference to see the most frustrating example of a program embarrassing us with its competence; UTSA.  So beating drum for more money is tried.

This is such a strange argument. Somehow because other programs have done more with less, this program should just stop asking fans to step up?

I’m glad you’re not in charge.

• Lovely Take 1

27 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

This is such a strange argument. Somehow because other programs have done more with less, this program should just stop asking fans to step up?

I’m glad you’re not in charge.

Like I said the fans on this board by and large have been stepping up. 🙄.  They’ve been inept with the resources they have received when it comes to results on the field.  So among fans who already been stepping up this shouldn’t be a point mentioned over and over again.   And when they hold on staff clearly over their head and except us to step up is stupid AF.   Well over the majority of donating fans here strangely 🙄want the architect of the worse defense in FBS gone.  Yet we lobbying each other to give more🙄 or worse yet criticizing for not giving more?  I never suggested the on UNT payroll leadership “give up/half heartedly try” but if they want to make it look like they to any casual observer who isn’t already contributing the max their budget allows, retaining Caponi is a good start.  🤷🏽‍♂️

• Eye Roll 1

On 12/10/2023 at 9:56 AM, C Rod said:

So strange. Never got past a text message. Radio silence since and no phone call leads me to believe UNT isn’t interested. 😕

But guess who is… UTSA. 🤢I heard from Ken’s father this morning that UTSA coach called yesterday and is very interested. UTSA currently has an offer out to a different portal QB and if he doesn’t take the offer, they want Ken.

Here we are, 4 days later...   Any update @C Rod?

Hoping Coach O didn't drop this receipt, and that he, along with multiple other coaches, including Morris, reached out?

If no, and we don't have another big-time, day-1-starter QB signed on ESD (December 20th), I'll be very disappointed in Morris' QB evaluations... something I never thought I'd say.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

We had a "serviceable" QB in Aune last year.  Ranked #28 in Team Offense.  Ranked #110 in Team Defense.  Finished 7-5 and played for a conference championship and played in a bowl game.

We had a near record-setting QB in Rogers this year. Ranked #22 in Team Offense.  Ranked #131 in Team Defense.  Finished 5-7 and the season was over in November.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Hoping Coach O didn't drop this receipt, and that he, along with multiple other coaches, including Morris, reached out?

If no, and we don't have another big-time, day-1-starter QB signed on ESD (December 20th), I'll be very disappointed in Morris' QB evaluations... something I never thought I'd say.

It seems some are putting a bit too much trust in the QB evaluation considering Earle was the day 1 starter over Rogers. Nothing against Earle but his performance was not of the same level as Rogers'. All that to say, there's nothing wrong with saying you're currently disappointed with Morris' QB evaluation.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, keith said:

We had a "serviceable" QB in Aune last year.  Ranked #28 in Team Offense.  Ranked #110 in Team Defense.  Finished 7-5 and played for a conference championship in the weakest G5 and played in a bowl game.

We had a near record-setting QB in Rogers this year. Ranked #22 in Team Offense.  Ranked #131 in Team Defense.  Finished 5-7 playing the most difficult conference schedule in the best G5 conference and the season was over in November.

Just for added context.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

It seems some are putting a bit too much trust in the QB evaluation considering Earle was the day 1 starter over Rogers. 

Plot twist: Earle actually did outplay Rogers in the Spring, and got easily rattled when it came to game time.

Is there some reason that isn't possible?

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Crickets…

Washington State flew out and met with Ken at his home. Ken’s going to take a visit in the coming days. 

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

What a story coach Morris has to tell QB recruits. He took a kid with no offers out of HS and 4 years later he will make $1m plus in the portal and be a first round draft pick. He took a kid out of ULM and after one season he was rated top 8 in QB transfers. It is the coaching, but it is also the system. Come to UNT and get noticed! GMG

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, greenminer said:

Plot twist: Earle actually did outplay Rogers in the Spring, and got easily rattled when it came to game time.

Is there some reason that isn't possible?

Still don’t know if we have enough sample size to know on Earle.  Morris definitely wanted Rogers so Earle had to clearly outplay him in camp to win the job.  He looked better against Cal and was playing with several backups due to all of the suspensions in his 1st half against FIU.  

2 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

What a story coach Morris has to tell QB recruits. He took a kid with no offers out of HS and 4 years later he will make $1m plus in the portal and be a first round draft pick. He took a kid out of ULM and after one season he was rated top 8 in QB transfers. It is the coaching, but it is also the system. Come to UNT and get noticed! GMG

I want us to be more than a "truck stop" for players on the way to somewhere else.  We should want to be a destination!

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1