North Texas Portal Entry Thread

TheReal_jayD

On 12/18/2023 at 2:43 PM, MeanGreen22 said:

He is. As well as a ton of talented QBs. And we’ll probably see more after bowl season. Not worried in the slightest about the QB position as of now. 

I think that is whistling by the graveyard.  Not because we won't end up with a talented starting QB, we will.  The problem is we need an elite QB to put points on the board to offset an AVERAGE defense that would be a massive improvement on the worst FBS defense in 2023.   A good QB has the offense averaging +28 points a game.  If a 2024 Caponi defense averages giving up less than 30 to FBS competition I would somewhat pleased and shocked.  Now if you aren't worried about QB because you believe it doesn't matter unless we have decent defense I am right there with you.  

Edited by Meangreen Fight
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, Arkstfan said:

When a school is spending maybe 5% of its revenue on scholarships, one might wonder why donations to the richest athletic programs are tax deductible or why the government should provide financial aid to students when a program spends more than $100 million or $150 million on athletics.

Saving this.  Good angle.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Arkstfan said:

So we now have Florida State trying to break out of ACC, they've apparently been talking to a private equity firm to finance the hundreds of millions they will probably owe, they will give up a percentage of income for who knows how many years as part of the deal.

Honestly at this point, it seems inevitable the Big Ten, SEC, maybe the Big XII are going to head to a straight up pay to play system.

If I'm the NFL, I ask my 32 billionaire owners to call up the various senators and representatives they own uh sorry, donate to, in order knee cap professional college football. 

When a school is spending maybe 5% of its revenue on scholarships, one might wonder why donations to the richest athletic programs are tax deductible or why the government should provide financial aid to students when a program spends more than $100 million or $150 million on athletics.

You bring up a good point about tax deductible donations. What happens when the government decides the NIL collective donations are not tax deductible because of how the funds are being used? Donations to schools for long-term infrastructure makes sense but donating to a collective to pay a salary is a different story. Are these mega donors still going to cut million dollar checks to NIL collectives if they can't write it off on their taxes?

• Upvote 4

Why would an NIL donation be tax deductible.  It is payment for use of an individual’s name, image or likeness.  It is not a donation to an educational institution.  It might be deductible as a business expense.  I think in that case, the IRS is going to require documentation.  It should also be taxable income for the athletes.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Graddean said:

Why would an NIL donation be tax deductible.  It is payment for use of an individual’s name, image or likeness.  It is not a donation to an educational institution.  It might be deductible as a business expense.  I think in that case, the IRS is going to require documentation.  It should also be taxable income for the athletes.

Nil is not tax deductible,  a donation to the athletic dept is.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, 97and03 said:

15 hours ago, 3_n_out said:

Happy for him. But, the question is: will he play?

13 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Wow. Hope he finds what he is looking for there. 

I’m sure he will be fine. Littrell absolutely loved that kid so I am sure he will be taken care of in Norman.

32 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I’m sure he will be fine. Littrell absolutely loved that kid so I am sure he will be taken care of in Norman.

Not questioning if he will be taken care of.  If that is what he’s looking for then he will be fine. If he is looking for playing time against higher level competition then he found it but not sure how much he sees the field. 

• Skeptical Eagle 1

1 hour ago, Graddean said:

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

Nil is not tax deductible,  a donation to the athletic dept is.

It's already been ruled NIL donations wouldn't be tax deductible unless the NIL is an approved 501c3 organization but like anything, there's a work-around.

"The Penn State collective, which is not a tax-exempt charity, tells donors their gift can still be tax-deductible if they route their money through an affiliated charity called the BPS Foundation. It is one of more than 60 collectives that offer donors tax deductions — either because the collective itself has been approved for charitable status by the I.R.S., or because the collective partners with an outside charity.

“If it’s not a 501(c)(3), I’m not going to give money to it,” said Dick Stewart, who attended the Happy Valley United fund-raiser, referring to the I.R.S. designation for charities. Stewart, an estate planning lawyer, donated $10,000 to Happy Valley United in June from a foundation he runs that was created by a deceased client who was a Penn State graduate."

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/21/us/college-athletes-donor-collectives.html

Recent article from late October.

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Not questioning if he will be taken care of.  If that is what he’s looking for then he will be fine. If he is looking for playing time against higher level competition then he found it but not sure how much he sees the field. 

I seem to recall that one pre-season preview described him as NFL quality. I’ll see if I can find that. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

You bring up a good point about tax deductible donations. What happens when the government decides the NIL collective donations are not tax deductible because of how the funds are being used? Donations to schools for long-term infrastructure makes sense but donating to a collective to pay a salary is a different story. Are these mega donors still going to cut million dollar checks to NIL collectives if they can't write it off on their taxes?

NIL collective contributions aren't deductible. IRS already cut that off.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

The guys who make the rules, or own the guys that make the rules, are they same guys that make the large donations and have rigged the system/tax laws in their favor.  These rules won't change.  Follow the gold.

You start tromping around and screwing with the NFL, you can have a problem. That's 32 billionaires and they swing a bigger stick than the Power 2.

You are absolutely going to see guys opt to play college because they will be able to make more than NFL will pay. By the time you get a bit past middle of the second round, you are talking salaries that Texas, Michigan, Alabama, Ohio State can afford to pay.

Colleges aren't going to be able to match a $200 million NFL payroll but a late third rounder like Demarion Oveshown is probably worth more to Texas than he is to the Cowboys and Texas can afford to guarantee more than $1.3 million over four years. 

No reason the Power 2 can't choose to keep guys around more than the old five to play four. Northern Illinois QB today was in his seventh season according to the announcers.

I can see a professional Power 2 or Power 3 or Power 4 hollowing out the NFL talent after the first 50 picks or so.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Arkstfan said:

NIL collective contributions aren't deductible. IRS already cut that off.

See the article I posted. There's work-arounds that collectives at some 60 schools are using. They have the boosters donate to separate but affiliated charities who then donate the money to the NIL collective.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

See the article I posted. There's work-arounds that collectives at some 60 schools are using. They have the boosters donate to separate but affiliated charities who then donate the money to the NIL collective.

I'd not take the risk but then like most Americans I don't have enough itemized deductions to worry about it.

• Haha 2