North Texas Portal Entry Thread

TheReal_jayD

I wish there was some sort of statement from Morris on this.. I feel like we are in the dark. If it’s part of his plan then tell us. This is making me crazy seeing all of these portal entries. It looks bad but maybe they are being somewhat nudged out the door? It’s doesn’t look that way that’s for sure.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

4 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

GMG.com:  We should blow up this roster like Colorado/Texas State. The portal is king!

UNT Football:  Blows up roster

Also GMG.com:  Why are we losing everyone? Something's wrong with this program. The portal is the death of college football!

I am all for continuity. I didn’t want to lose any of the offensive players, especially Chandler. You don’t come across good quarterbacks easily. I was expecting to add some defensive players but this mass exodus on offense is horrible

• Upvote 5

12 minutes ago, Arkstfan said:

Sliding down a rabbit hole here, but this crap would be easier to swallow if this unregulated mess were more like soccer. 

Imagine every high school player in football and basketball signed a four year contract. Say $30,000 a year. 

Freshman year kid is AAC or Sun Belt player of the year. Texas Tech, OkSt, UCF want the kid. He wants to leave. UCF is offering $100,000 a year for the remaining three years.  Has to pay 10% of the deal to buy his release. $30,000. 

Only played a year but buyout means played at no cost. 

Or maybe stud player from Plano gets $250,000 a year from Texas. He’s good not that good. Texas is stuck with him and he’s stuck on the bench but he likes coaches at UNT. Green say we will pay $75,000 a year. Texas is on the hook for $175,000 but Texas has leverage too. They tell him agree to cut salary to $100,000 and we will make up difference. Kid says nah make it $150,000 and we have a deal so kid is playing at UNT for $150,000 school only pays half. 

Meanwhile Arkansas offers a kid $50,000 because he’s a project. AState offers him that as well because he’s quality depth if nothing else. Hogs like what they see when he’s on campus but he’s a couple years from SEC ready. Hogs tell him we want you to get experience in games. Shop him around and agree to loan him to AState for a year at $15,000 Hogs pay the rest. 

Being able to profit from identifying talent and developing that talent changes the Charlie Brown I got a rock in my Halloween sack nature of how it works now. 

This is what I would like to see too. Some teams also include a sell-on clause where they get a percentage of any future transfer fees because they were the ones that found and developed the talent initially. Don't know if this specifically would work in football, but I would definitely like some kind of system where the original school gets some percentage having developed the kid in the first place. This system is the only thing keeping a lot of lower league teams from continually losing good talent for nothing to big spending clubs like Man City, causing them to go bankrupt and ceasing to be a club.   

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1

27 minutes ago, Arkstfan said:

Sliding down a rabbit hole here, but this crap would be easier to swallow if this unregulated mess were more like soccer. 

Imagine every high school player in football and basketball signed a four year contract. Say $30,000 a year. 

Freshman year kid is AAC or Sun Belt player of the year. Texas Tech, OkSt, UCF want the kid. He wants to leave. UCF is offering $100,000 a year for the remaining three years.  Has to pay 10% of the deal to buy his release. $30,000. 

Or maybe stud player from Plano gets $250,000 a year from Texas. He’s good not that good. Texas is stuck with him and he’s stuck on the bench but he likes coaches at UNT. Green say we will pay $75,000 a year. Texas is on the hook for $175,000 but Texas has leverage too. They tell him agree to cut salary to $100,000 and we will make up difference. Kid says nah make it $150,000 and we have a deal so kid is playing at UNT for $150,000 school only pays half. 

Meanwhile Arkansas offers a kid $50,000 because he’s a project. AState offers him that as well because he’s quality depth if nothing else. Hogs like what they see when he’s on campus but he’s a couple years from SEC ready. Hogs tell him we want you to get experience in games. Shop him around and agree to loan him to AState for a year at $15,000 Hogs pay the rest. 

Being able to profit from identifying talent and developing that talent changes the Charlie Brown I got a rock in my Halloween sack nature of how it works now. 

This is a genius idea!

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

GMG.com:  We should blow up this roster like Colorado/Texas State. The portal is king!

Also GMG.com:  Why are we losing everyone? Something's wrong with this program. The portal is the death of college football!

We'll never be able to compete with a program like Colorado with the portal, but you do have to get concerned if we can't compete with Texas State. We have to wait and see, but if we fail in the portal, it's time for some alarms. 

• Downvote 1

Now, could it be possible these kids are simply testing the market to find their value since they can’t hire agents? I know it’s highly unlikely, but in this day and age of NIL, there could be an agreement between the coaches/university and player. If the $$$ isn’t what they think, they can return. I see this as a way to entice younger, hopefully talented players, to still commit here, showcase themselves by playing a lot in a good, competitive G5 conference. We may not be able to keep everyone, but at least we may still have that window of opportunity before another group leaves. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Arkstfan said:

It's a great idea. Soccer is one of the most popular and profitable sports in Europe and there's a reason why. They've spent decades working through the system you outlined and it gives everybody a way to succeed while specifically rewarding the teams who properly identify young talent. We've gone from a system where the players have no power to one where they have all the power. When the dust settles, I think all of this will have taken a completely different form. The reality is, if players want to be treated as professionals while in college, they're going to have to take the bad that comes with it. Sooner than later, the big boosters will want to protect their investments instead of dumping money into players who leave every year.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Professor Lambeau said:

I wonder how many of these student athletes entering the portal will learn other programs are not interested and end up paying their own tuition because they are no longer on scholarships.

The big names have probably already been contacted by schools. I;m sure the big boys promise a lot of guys big NIL deals but they also have offers out to multiple guys and say the first one to sign up gets the money. They won't put all of their eggs in one basket. That puts pressure on them to sing with a new school quickly. The non starters and others may be dropping down to be able to play and some have been encouraged to move on. 

The only good thing is at least these players are entering the portal now instead of waiting until the second window opens in May. Coaches know what holes they will have to fill either in the portal/JC or with HS recruits. Guys like Nixon left us without a chance to get other quality guys in here. I think players should have to declare now before we get into spring practices. At least schools can plan out spring workouts knowing who they will have back in the Fall.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, 3_n_out said:

Now, could it be possible these kids are simply testing the market to find their value since they can’t hire agents? I know it’s highly unlikely, but in this day and age of NIL, there could be an agreement between the coaches/university and player. If the $$$ isn’t what they think, they can return. I see this as a way to entice younger, hopefully talented players, to still commit here, showcase themselves by playing a lot in a good, competitive G5 conference. We may not be able to keep everyone, but at least we may still have that window of opportunity before another group leaves. 

Since they haven't landed anywhere, are these players in the portal Schrodinger's transfers?  They are both transfers and not transfers at the same time.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, keith said:

Since they haven't landed anywhere, are these players in the portal Schrodinger's transfers?  They are both transfers and not transfers at the same time.

I have this question too. I'm not sure what the rules are on returning once they've announced. Even if most of them pull their names out of the portal I'd be nervous about the spring period.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

Not one single person advocated for getting rid of almost every offensive starter - even me who was never convinced this offense was that special. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, THOR said:

gonna be funny when north texas wins 9 games next year, including the bowl

YTD we have 23 players in the portal which is twice as many as any other program that I am aware of. This seems more like leaving a sinking ship rather then just testing the waters.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1