North Texas Portal Entry Thread

TheReal_jayD

5 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I don't know why people think this part is not still happening.  They're still student athletes.  All of them are still getting free tuition, room&board, attending classes (even if they're online), etc...   It's just that they're getting paid in-addition to that now.

A lot of these guys transferring out of UNT have degrees with their names on them like we do.

Well, I'm glad you set me straight on this subject.  In my mind all I hear about is players transferring from one university to the next.  Multiple times in some cases.  I couldn't see all off those credit hours/courses transferring.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

What you've posted about how money was spent is absolutely correct. I posted this in another thread but players getting paid initially wasn't even about "name image and likeness" in its current definition. The issue was schools were making all of this media money off the work of student athletes. The athletes wanted a piece of the pie just like pro athletes do in the sense that NFL/NHL/NBA salary caps are based on the media money figures. Instead, schools are still keeping all of the media money and players are getting paid from private donations.

I think unionizing and collective bargaining is certainly an option. It's going to take big players at big programs not getting paid the NIL money they believed they were going to get paid. The solution is going to force a revisit to the use of media money because that's the only true contracted source of external revenue. The NCAA needs to gain control of the conferences and there needs to be one TV media rights deal that splits the revenue equally amongst all programs. Somebody smarter than me will need to figure out how to address FCS, D2 and so on and if they get their own media deals based on their classification.

For years, the conversation on this board was should we have a coach focused on Jimmys and Joes or Xs and Os. To me, the Xs and Os coach is going to dominate this era of college football. Get the guys who can coach people up quickly to fit their schemes, plug, and play. No matter what talent you attract, you can't count on them staying year to year. Scheme and coaching needs to be the focus. We, as in NT, appear to have that on offense. Defense is yet to be determined.

Half of the six MLB division winners were in the bottom half of the league in payroll.

It's all going to be about roster management. 

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1

17 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Graduate transfers shouldn’t exist. None of these guys care about getting a graduate degree. It’s all being done to get a NIL bag. To prevent these mass exoduses, transfers should work something like this: 

First transfer: No penalty.

Second transfer: Miss 6 games.

Third transfer: Miss season. 

First transfer: Miss 6 games

Second Transfer: Miss season

No third transfers.  Better consider your NIL deal carefully.

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, Dentonborn79 said:

I think all portal entrants should be rated and assigned a grade, say Rogers is graded at a 80 hypothetically,an 80 grade has a compensation value of let's say 35000 dollars.,whatever school gets rogers has to compensate NT 35000, so schools don't lose entirely. This would help the smaller schools. hope that makes sense.

Not a bad idea.  However, you would have to be able to ensure that the rating system is done accurately and fairly, which as we've seen regarding the ratings coming out of high school, aren't always fair and unbiased.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

But in baseball you have them for the duration of their contracts and you can trade assets for areas of need. You don't risk losing performing players every year. This is not the same.

College athletes now have more power than professional athletes when you think about it....

to a point....

Teams still have to take them 

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

When a problem exists there is no better way to solve things than stripping individuals of their freedoms!

Re-enact the 1 year sit out rule and watch it change for the better. There has to be a balance between the fans, players, and sponsors for the sport to thrive and right now that isn't the case. Fans are going to leave because there's no reason to invest time into rooting for players, which means fewer viewers, which means less NIL money for players. 

• Upvote 6

Look....from a macro level.....I think the market will figure this out. I don't know why I'm not as fired up about it...I think the Littrell era gave me an "I don't really care" vibe.

But my goodness there are 500+ kids in the portal? A few years from now, someone will do a study on who the portal helped and who it hurt. There will be 100s of kids that will transfer, get their $$, blow their $$, get hurt and have no degree living back home....

Will there be more Caleb Williams making millions per year while in school and going to the NFL? Or will there be more Jyaire Shorters transferring and getting buried on the bench. Not sure where he'll end up...but he ruined his career with that decision. I hope he can find somewhere to resurrect it. 

I've said this all along....the market will figure this out. There are going to be a ton of kids seriously hurt by this. I can't get too upset or sad for them. People have to have to freedom to go and get hurt. But on the upside....those like Jamori Maclin are going to get big $$$. The game is definitely changed. The schools and multi-million dollar coaches have had guardrails put in place for years that gave them everything they wanted. Now the players on the field are taking that power away. With that power comes risk. 

Don't have a problem with the kids going out and getting theirs. Also don't have a problem with the kids flaming out and ending up living home or on the street.  

Welcome to the real world. The market will dictate what the market can handle and accept. 

• Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Exactly what freedom are you stripping away?  Voluntarily playing a game in a league does not constitute a freedom.  We're not talking about the right to free speech, right to a free press, etc.  The NCAA, as an entity, can set their own rules for their league.

Freedom - the power or right to act, speak, or think as one wants without hindrance or restraint.

Your proposition is to add more hindrance/restraint (transfer restrictions) on the individual athletes participating in the NCAA. More hindrance/restraint = less freedom. Doesn’t have to be a constitutional right.

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Eye Roll 1

3 hours ago, Dentonborn79 said:

I think all portal entrants should be rated and assigned a grade, say Rogers is graded at a 80 hypothetically,an 80 grade has a compensation value of let's say 35000 dollars.,whatever school gets rogers has to compensate NT 35000, so schools don't lose entirely. This would help the smaller schools. hope that makes sense.

You need to account for inflation.

https://www.on3.com/college/north-texas-mean-green/football/2024/transfers/

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

This argument reminds me of the sovereign citizens saying they don't need a driver's license because they have the constitutional right to travel. You can travel with your own two legs all you want but you're driving on a roadway you do not own and therefore must follow the rules. You can take your ball and play football alone if you'd like but if you're in a league you must follow the rules set forth. Nobody is entitled to be part of an entity without following the rules the entity wants to enforce.

That's exactly what it's like. Everything is a "right", and there are no rules. Perish the idea that a company or governing body of an entity has the authority to establish rules over its entity. 

According to their argument, the NCAA is infringing on my right to play football. Why shouldn't I be allowed to play?

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Rudy said:

That's exactly what it's like. Everything is a "right", and there are no rules. Perish the idea that a company or governing body of an entity has the authority to establish rules over its entity. 

According to their argument, the NCAA is infringing on my right to play football. Why shouldn't I be allowed to play?

I didn't use the word “right.” Not sure why you’re quoting that word like I said it when you were the one who brought it into the conversation. Just pointed out that your strategy is to restrict the players’ freedom, which it factually by definition is. 

2 hours ago, cdizzle86 said:

Re-enact the 1 year sit out rule and watch it change for the better. There has to be a balance between the fans, players, and sponsors for the sport to thrive and right now that isn't the case. Fans are going to leave because there's no reason to invest time into rooting for players, which means fewer viewers, which means less NIL money for players. 

I don’t fully disagree I just still don’t agree with going backwards on those transfer rules. I get it is often to our detriment, but I don’t think it’s right to restrict kids’ ability to transfer when the coaches who bring them in are under no such restriction.

I think a lot of this will correct itself once all these kids who got extra seasons because of the COVID year are fully out of eligibility. You bring in a guy as a Junior who has actually a 5th year college student like Rogers, of course they’re going to have the grad transfer option.

• Upvote 1

On 12/5/2023 at 2:48 PM, Jonnyeagle said:

Light the Tower has been a big disappointment.  Putting RV in charge was in hindsight a mistake.  Now we’ve farted around and lost our best player.  What a mess.

They were raising money and then Morris wanted to hire a company to do it and Light The Tired was done. Needless to say, the company Morris hired raised nothing. 

RV wasn’t the best at hires, but he did a lot for UNT and to this day loves this University 

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999
  • Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

5 minutes ago, GoMeanGreen1999 said:

... Light The Tired was done. ...

I don't know if this was intentional or not but I got a giggle.  I think we are all tired of this BS.

This week, college football died for 80 teams. The market will work out the rest. We are just too late to be a part of the big party.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

4 hours ago, untbowler said:

COVID has allowed it get out of hand, why is NCAA handing out 6 yr, 7yr, and in one case 9 yr eligibilities, just plain dumb. No waivers, you have 4-6 yrs to compete, do not care if injuries, etc... This is not the pros, Go to College Graduate and get on with life, whether pro material or not

Don't forget; that Austin Aune had 1 more year of eligibility.

37 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I didn't use the word “right.” Not sure why you’re quoting that word like I said it when you were the one who brought it into the conversation. Just pointed out that your strategy is to restrict the players’ freedom, which it factually by definition is. 

Whatever terminology you want to use, the NCAA, as the governing body of college sports, has every authority to set rules in place to ensure a better product. 

Not that they have the balls to do shit. But they do have the authority. 

• Upvote 2