North Texas Portal Entry Thread

TheReal_jayD

2 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Hard to figure out if you really hate North Texas this much or you just hate people this much,  but you're one of the most negative people I've ever seen on any board. If you hate North Texas football so much why do you spend so much time on here commenting?

Says I'm a reactionary with no solutions, posts no solutions. 

Kristen Bell Idk GIF by Team Coco

• Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

When reasonable conversation is beyond the fray, jokes OR insults take shape. You need to stop investing your time into this football program. Energy could be spent elsewhere, fruitful energy. 

Funny coming from the guy that only shows up with things are going bad. I am ready for a run of ten win seasons for two reasons. 

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Arkstfan said:

I don't think Congress nor the courts are inclined to preserve the amateur nature of college athletics. The ship for that sailed when top coaching salaries grew 5 times faster than inflation, the building boom took off, and every program suddenly had money for at least three sets of jerseys, three types of pants, and three different helmet styles not counting decal swaps. There was suddenly money for "analysts" to beak down just how the receivers did and how opponent defenses attacked receivers and help with game plans. Player spaces that are basically a clubhouse/hangout with constant supply of food.

As I noted on the AState board. St Jude Research Hospital in Memphis has a budget of around $2 billion, ten times a top P5. They have TWO employees who make more than $1 million and none make $2 million.

If St Jude paid someone like Dabo or Kirby it would be a national scandal, yet we continue the pretense that college athletics are some charitable undertaking.  

College athletics aren't a business. If it were they'd pay cash dividends over to the owners (university) or the owners would cash out sell the business.

If Texas and Michigan and Georgia had been pouring the TV and fan largesse over to fund scholarships, faculty salaries, research, or fix the crappy HVAC system in the English department we aren't having these discussions about paying players.

No one is saving college athletics from itself. Athletic departments have grown like a cancer eating the things around them, growing in an uncontrolled manner. Who is going to step up and pass antitrust legislation allow it to continue on the same path? You want antitrust protection to cap athletic spending and put athletes in a better spot? Maybe you can pass that.

Right now players being employees, unionizing and signing a collective bargaining agreement is the best hope left.

What you've posted about how money was spent is absolutely correct. I posted this in another thread but players getting paid initially wasn't even about "name image and likeness" in its current definition. The issue was schools were making all of this media money off the work of student athletes. The athletes wanted a piece of the pie just like pro athletes do in the sense that NFL/NHL/NBA salary caps are based on the media money figures. Instead, schools are still keeping all of the media money and players are getting paid from private donations.

I think unionizing and collective bargaining is certainly an option. It's going to take big players at big programs not getting paid the NIL money they believed they were going to get paid. The solution is going to force a revisit to the use of media money because that's the only true contracted source of external revenue. The NCAA needs to gain control of the conferences and there needs to be one TV media rights deal that splits the revenue equally amongst all programs. Somebody smarter than me will need to figure out how to address FCS, D2 and so on and if they get their own media deals based on their classification.

For years, the conversation on this board was should we have a coach focused on Jimmys and Joes or Xs and Os. To me, the Xs and Os coach is going to dominate this era of college football. Get the guys who can coach people up quickly to fit their schemes, plug, and play. No matter what talent you attract, you can't count on them staying year to year. Scheme and coaching needs to be the focus. We, as in NT, appear to have that on offense. Defense is yet to be determined.

• Upvote 4

Maybe we can ask some of our local failed high school coaches how they handled adversity. I know some of them post on this board anytime there is a problem. Do we have any on this thread that can provide solutions for when the big 6A and 5A schools take their players? 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, MAX KOCH said:

Well now that we have lost so much of our offense, maybe it will suck as bad as our defense. 

Offensively, I trust Morris' system will truly be a "Next man up" scenario. 
I hope the guys who are already here know this, and are ready to step up and get their 1000-yd season for their opportunities to get paid. 
It's not the best scenario for UNT, but it's a positive one.

• Upvote 4

16 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

The majority of these kids are being misled with bad advice and don't give a second thought about their education.  As I have mentioned, the cost of tuition, room/board, books, meals, snacks, pre/post game/practice nutrition, tutors, clothing, healthcare, etc... is plenty.  Tired of the Me mentality that so many have, of them saying one thing and then turning around and doing the exact opposite.  What would be best for 95% of these kids is to attend a school that provides a  great education in the field of study that interests them because they aren't going to the NFL.

When you phrase it like this, then you have a complete and morally reasonable argument. I still don't think the anger and criticism should be directed towards college students however. Direct your feelings towards the NCAA and ESPN

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I hope the guys who are already here know this, and are ready to step up and get their 1000-yd season for their opportunities to get paid. 

I agree but a lot of the fun of following college sports was watching players progress and develop in your program.  I don't think we are the only ones belly aching about this either.  You have lower and mid P5's losing a lot of their key players as well.  This may be great for the players, and I am all for them being compensated but it is terrible for the sport they play.  If anyone should be punished it should be the coaches and University administrators who have pocketed billions off the backs of the players.  Let them share their TV revenue which goes into the billions with the players instead of the poor fans.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

The way college football is shaping up it may be just enough for people like me to say "sayonara".  What happened to the days of college athletes graduating and getting an actual degree?

I don't know why people think this part is not still happening.  They're still student athletes.  All of them are still getting free tuition, room&board, attending classes (even if they're online), etc...   It's just that they're getting paid in-addition to that now.

A lot of these guys transferring out of UNT have degrees with their names on them like we do.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

If anything, I think this will motivate Morris to produce even better offensive numbers next year to make the point that you will be noticed if you stay in his system.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

12 hours ago, jtm0097 said:

How did fall of 2023 go for us?

1. Lost to FIU

2. Lost to Navy

3. Lost to the top 4 schools in the conference in competitive games.

4. Lost starting QB, RB, WR, G, and C to the transfer portal.

I need something positive to happen in 2024.

This Sucks Season 3 GIF by The Office

Dont forget we kept the same DC for next year.  It is going to be a bad bad  year next year.  We dont have qb to take over for Rogers.  I just say that UNM hired Bronco Mendenhall as their new coach.  The guy has been to bowl games the  been to bowl games 16 times and he plays defense.   I think they made a home run hire and we a swing and miss.

• Downvote 2

12 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

The first sentence of the first paragraph: "I don't blame those kids at all."

The first sentence of the second paragraph: "These kids are being taken advantage of and I hate it for them."

I expressed concern that kids were being misled and were risking their educational futures every time they entered the portal. Where did I bash the players?

Didn't say you did. I was referring to the other posts that do.

The thing that sucks about being a fan is there's not much we can do other than donate money and hope enough others do it in order to keep good players here. Unfortunately I don't think that's realistic with the current state of our ahtletics program and that's not because we can't compete, but because NIL is setup to make the rich richer. 

If Jared Mosely expects fans to continue contributing and buying season tickets then he needs to speak up on behalf of us and shake the heck out of the NCAA tree about how change needs to happen otherwise we are just wasting our money. Anything less than causing an uproar is doing a disservice to fans.

Maybe all G5 schools need to band together to come up with a plan. Don't schedule P5's and let them them suffer the same fate. Or possibly another strategy. The root of the issue has to be addressed and no strategy isn't a strategy.  

• Upvote 5

I'm in favor of doing away with the red-shirt process.  When a student-athlete enters school, the clock starts ticking and they have a total of 4 years of eligibility, that's it.

How many are not doing it for the immediate NIL money (although that's obviously a bonus), but for a better chance to get drafted from a Px school than they do from UNT?

I'd like to see some of the locker room interactions when a 6-figure (or 7?) QB berates linemen getting $20K for not protecting him better.

• Upvote 4

I think all portal entrants should be rated and assigned a grade, say Rogers is graded at a 80 hypothetically,an 80 grade has a compensation value of let's say 35000 dollars.,whatever school gets rogers has to compensate NT 35000, so schools don't lose entirely. This would help the smaller schools. hope that makes sense.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1