North Texas Portal Entry Thread

TheReal_jayD

I think it time I jump in the portal and leave the fandom of college football.  Respect my decision. 

I really am losing my love for college football.  I dont watch the NFL and now with college football becoming the farm system of the NFL it no longer has its appeal.  I think the next step we will see is colleges tied to pro teams.  I wish the big boys would break away and be gone forever and they can eat their own. We dont have the financial backing to make  us a new player in the new world.   I wonder if we just did regional conference with the have nots would it make a difference in our attendance?  I haven't seen this year attendance numbers vs last years.

• Upvote 6

4 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I don't blame those kids at all. I'm just pointing out that some are messing up their one chance at a debt free college education which could also be used to generate wealth long term. Many are being sold on this idea that they can go get 500k+ as soon as they hit the portal but the reality is, most probably won't get that kind of money, especially when they've been a bench warmer their first year or two. 

These kids are being taken advantage of and I hate it for them. Enter the portal and secure the bag! Even worst is our coaches telling guys to hit the road because they won't have a spot. What if that kid doesn't find a home? No paid college education for them? All of this is BS and I hate it for the kids who end up losing their scholarships. I also hate it for those like Shorter who got paid a year and then was likely told to hit the road. I hope he at least got his degree because these coaches don't seem to give a damn. I want UNT to do well but this system is broken and the only real losers are the kids who just aren't quite good enough for the big programs.

I remember freshman year, I was walking back to my room at Maple Hall when I saw a friend studying in one of the common rooms. I was surprised because it was Friday night and he was usually out partying. He said he was failing his classes so his brother pulled him aside one day and told him "all these people you're partying with aren't going to pay your bills if you fail out of college. You'll just be the guy they partied with while their parents paid tuition so they could get a degree." He grew up in Garland and me in Dallas so I understood the message and got my grades up as well. My brother went to 3 Dallas ISD high schools and then the military. I got to go to college. Sometimes staying put and finishing your studies IS the way out.

No one criticized Willy Fritz when he jumped to Houston for more money and a better opportunity. Why are we bashing players for doing the same thing?

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

5 minutes ago, wardly said:

No one criticized Willy Fritz when he jumped to Houston for more money and a better opportunity. Why are we bashing players for doing the same thing?

The first sentence of the first paragraph: "I don't blame those kids at all."

The first sentence of the second paragraph: "These kids are being taken advantage of and I hate it for them."

I expressed concern that kids were being misled and were risking their educational futures every time they entered the portal. Where did I bash the players?

• Upvote 1

Been telling you fools for 2+ years but NO ONE wants to listen... take a page out of the Navy, Army, or even Harding University playroom and do THAT. Then, allocate the rest of the money leftover and put it in basketball. 

Matter of fact, fire the entire UNT football staff, hire the Harding University staff to do what they do. And put the rest in basketball. Zero reason to be chasing our tails. Be smart. 

Meanwhile,  @TheReal_jayD will continue to tell us all.of these guys were asked to leave...

blah blah blah GIF

Edited by NorthTexasWeLove
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 3
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 5
  • Puking Eagle 1

9 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

How did fall of 2023 go for us?

1. Lost to FIU

2. Lost to Navy

3. Lost to the top 4 schools in the conference in competitive games.

4. Lost starting QB, RB, WR, G, and C to the transfer portal.

I need something positive to happen in 2024.

This Sucks Season 3 GIF by The Office

Craponi is keeping most of his guys out of the portal?

💩

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

6 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Been telling you fools for 2+ years but NO ONE wants to listen... take a page out of the Navy, Army, or even Harding University playroom and do THAT. Then, allocate the rest of the money leftover and put it in basketball. 

Matter of fact, fire the entire UNT football staff, hire the Harding University staff to do what they do. And put the rest in basketball. Zero reason to be chasing our tails. Be smart. 

Meanwhile,  @TheReal_jayD will continue to tell us all.of these guys were asked to leave...

blah blah blah GIF

And for those of you down voting... give your 2 cents in fixing the situation as is... 

UNT football is dead and your plan is to roll eyes at people stating solutions... please... what's your plan? 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 6
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

7 hours ago, Old Denton said:

And the NCAA can easily do something:

1 - ONE free transfer for underclassmen, period.  Anything else requires sit-out year.  No fake medical/family transfer BS.

2 - all COVID-era freebies (extra year, etc) terminate after the 2023-2024 academic year.

3 - An additional free graduate transfer allowed, provided the player has spent 2 or more years at the current school.

Make it effective August 1, 2024.

Graduate transfers shouldn’t exist. None of these guys care about getting a graduate degree. It’s all being done to get a NIL bag. To prevent these mass exoduses, transfers should work something like this: 

First transfer: No penalty.

Second transfer: Miss 6 games.

Third transfer: Miss season. 

• Upvote 5

4 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

And for those of you down voting... give your 2 cents in fixing the situation as is... 

UNT football is dead and your plan is to roll eyes at people stating solutions... please... what's your plan? 

These are externalities our program AND MANY OTHER PROGRAMS are going through right now. We're just going to have to see what happens. If it falls apart next year, then it falls apart next year. There's nothing we can do about it immediately. 

We know the Light the Tower Collective was supposed to have a big announcement today and that never happened. We also know Rogers announced this afternoon that he's going to the portal. I'm going to guess the offer from Light the Tower to Rogers was inadequate, even if they offered the whole bag.

The damage is done this year. Unless the NCAA makes some changes to transfer rules this is how it is. It would have been this way if Littrell was here and he brought in good talent. This isn't a program or staff level issue at this point. We had one of the best offenses in the country and now that offense is being poached. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, emmitt01 said:

80S Dancing GIF

I expect nothing of real substance from you. And it's not your fault at face value, as a lifetime government employee, you can't help but not be useful. Typical predicament. 

3 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

These are externalities our program AND MANY OTHER PROGRAMS are going through right now. We're just going to have to see what happens. If it falls apart next year, then it falls apart next year. There's nothing we can do about it immediately. 

We know the Light the Tower Collective was supposed to have a big announcement today and that never happened. We also know Rogers announced this afternoon that he's going to the portal. I'm going to guess the offer from Light the Tower to Rogers was inadequate, even if they offered the whole bag.

The damage is done this year. Unless the NCAA makes some changes to transfer rules this is how it is. It would have been this way if Littrell was here and he brought in good talent. This isn't a program or staff level issue at this point. We had one of the best offenses in the country and now that offense is being poached. 

Lol. Reactionary bullshit. And I don't know you from Adam. But there is certainly something that can be done. I'm not sure when budgeting is examined, I would imagine during the late Spring. That's when fruit grows, budgeting season. OR we can keep operating as status quo and continuing getting an absolutely shit return year after after year after year after, etc. 

• Haha 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 2

Just now, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Lol. Reactionary bullshit. And I don't know you from Adam. But there is certainly something that can be done. I'm not sure when budgeting is examined, I would imagine during the late Spring. That's when fruit grows, budgeting season. OR we can keep operating as status quo and continuing getting an absolutely shit return year after after year after year after, etc. 

You know the collectives don't get money from the school right? Do you know how any of this works?

• Upvote 2

Just now, peanuts104 said:

You know the collectives don't get money from the school right? Do you know how any of this works?

You goshdam right I know how it works. You think our alum, in their current and former state, is giving a damn dime to 2-deep of football players to entice them to either come here or stay here. Have you seen our alum?!?!?!?! They're a part of the most laughable groups of human beings. Why am I constantly always the only one pointing this out? But, it furthers my point, football is dead. 

• Upvote 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 7

1 minute ago, Cr1028 said:

There is absolutely no reason to attack this man for the job he has done his entire postgraduate life. He is out there doing work most of us don’t have the stomach for. Talk all the smack you want about his opinion but do not attack the man for his profession or his character. 

I think I'll do exactly what I want to do. 

• Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 2

5 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

You goshdam right I know how it works. You think our alum, in their current and former state, is giving a damn dime to 2-deep of football players to entice them to either come here or stay here. Have you seen our alum?!?!?!?! They're a part of the most laughable groups of human beings. Why am I constantly always the only one pointing this out? But, it furthers my point, football is dead. 

What's your solution? All I see is bullshit and anger, WHICH I GET. I'm pissed that this is happening too.

• Upvote 4

27 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

You’re terrible!

• Upvote 5