***OFFICIAL UNT vs TULSA In-Game Discussion Thread***

Coach Andy Mac

5 minutes ago, rcade said:

If the receiver falls to the ground they have to retain the ball throughout that process. It's a dumb rule but they always call it that way.

The rule is fine, it was improperly applied. This wasn't a toe tap reception. After the first step, you can see him direct his waist towards the endzone as he takes the second step. It was a catch but called wrong. Not their first mistake of the game. What's mind boggling is overturning the initial call of complete.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I disagree. That’s 100% considered a TD if in the end zone and would be ruled a fumble if it happened in bounds. 

It wasn't in the end zone, though. Watch the zebras on any catch where the receiver goes out of bounds. They focus on them all the way through hitting the ground before signaling catch or incompletion.

The rule should be that what happens out of bounds is irrelevant, and if you have possession when you go out it's a catch.

• Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, rcade said:

If the receiver falls to the ground they have to retain the ball throughout that process. It's a dumb rule but they always call it that way.

Late reply, but once he stepped out of bounds he is down.  He had control when he stepped out of bounds.  Honestly one of the worst overturned calls I’ve ever seen.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, GMG_Dallas said:

The rule is fine, it was improperly applied. This wasn't a toe tap reception. After the first step, you can see him direct his waist towards the endzone as he takes the second step.

I guess it's possible that, like Dez Bryant, he made a football move. But when do refs ever call it that way and say that what happened out of bounds did not matter?

28 minutes ago, rcade said:

I guess it's possible that, like Dez Bryant, he made a football move. But when do refs ever call it that way and say that what happened out of bounds did not matter?

Depends on their definition of a football move. Had it been one foot and out of bounds, I'd say incomplete but to me there was a football move. Had he reached for the endzone, it's a catch with no question. They just didn't determine what he did to be enough. It is what it is unless we lose by a score.

I also had a flash back to the Dez catch that everybody later admitted was a catch. That one was worst than this.