SOC LB Jones Commits to ULM

TheReal_jayD

5 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

This was coming for a while. Before we start yelling at the kid for not following through with his commitment. North Texas pulled his offer after his OV. 

Well, something happened to him if we pulled his offer and he sank to ULM level.  Grades?  

I would just prefer we find a JUCO LB in the portal and forget about high school kids.  Too much risk to see if they adapt to college and then risk theft from P5s for them.  

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Lol.  Well, something happened to him if we pulled his offer and he sank to ULM level.  Grades?  

I would just prefer we find a JUCO LB in the portal and forget about high school kids.  Too much risk to see if they adapt to college and then risk theft from P5s for them.  

You'd prefer a JUCO LB? Maybe Raveon Hoston and William Johnson will finally make it to campus.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 5
  • Eye Roll 1

10 minutes ago, All About UNT said:

EJ Ejiya 

Josh Wheeler

Jalen Guyton

Kemon Hall

Saia Mose

DeAndre Torrey

Darrian McMillan 

While not all are LB... all worked out really well for us.

They sure did and plenty of HS players have worked out as well. Just pointing out how silly the reaction is to move on from high schoolers because some decommit before national signing day.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

They sure did and plenty of HS players have worked out as well. Just pointing out how silly the reaction is to move on from high schoolers because some decommit before national signing day.

JUCOs or Portal transfers are acclimated to college and the college game speed.  They have been on their own, away from mom, to deal with classes and time management, etc, all things freshman struggle with.  Portal transfers in to us cannot transfer via the portal away from us like a HS recruit can.  JUCOs and portal transfers are more mature and better adapted to adjust...QB Rogers is a great example.

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

This was coming for a while. Before we start yelling at the kid for not following through with his commitment. North Texas pulled his offer after his OV. 

At a time when many on here are very unhappy about how our defense is preforming and being mismanaged, this is unwelcomed news. Coach O and coach Caponi (or whoever will be running the defense next season) needs to go out and find a legit impact player to replace this loss. Portal, juco, high school.... I don't care. We need immediate help on the defensive side of the ball.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

27 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Is it really a loss when we pulled the offer and his next best choice is ULM? Feels more like a “we made space for someone else” situation rather than a “loss”. 

I really want to agree with you, but since we took Chandler Rogers from ULM, I can't knock the level of talent ULM has been able to lure. And to be honest, like every other defense in the FBS, ULM's defense is better than ours. I don't feel like we are in a position to turn our nose up at the talent any other defense wants to recruit.

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 2

4 hours ago, NT80 said:

JUCOs or Portal transfers are acclimated to college and the college game speed.  They have been on their own, away from mom, to deal with classes and time management, etc, all things freshman struggle with.  Portal transfers in to us cannot transfer via the portal away from us like a HS recruit can.  JUCOs and portal transfers are more mature and better adapted to adjust...QB Rogers is a great example.

I see your Rogers and raise you a Mason Fine.

And about the whole "transfers in to us cannot transfer via the portal away" deal, we are Rogers 4th school. I know there's new transfer portal rules but there's always new rules and exceptions to those rules. Get the best players you can get and worry about keeping them later.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

4 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I see your Rogers and raise you a Mason Fine.

And about the whole "transfers in to us cannot transfer via the portal away" deal, we are Rogers 4th school. I know there's new transfer portal rules but there's always new rules and exceptions to those rules. Get the best players you can get and worry about keeping them later.

The Murphy twins say “hi” to you from UCLA. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

29 minutes ago, NT80 said:

The Murphy twins say “hi” to you from UCLA. 

Burns, Ward, Ragsdale, Rod Brown, Patrick Smith, Loronzo Thompson, Kevin Wood, Adaway, Isaiah Johnson, Nwaiwu, Duncan, Blair, and others making up at least half of our 2 deep say "hi" back.

Yeah, we lose players to the portal like other schools. How many key contributors do we actually lose on a yearly basis who leave prior to graduation? Very few.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Downvote 1

I'm fine with this. Undersized linebacker at 5'10 170 that probably benefitted statistically from playing on all time great SOC teams.

Get a guy who can come in and produce next year. That's where the need is. Some developmental guys are still important but we need immediate impact at all three levels of the defense, especially the front 6/7.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I don't think they are moving away. But I think in todays age you have to be balanced. You have to use all avenues in roster building. Last staff was too HS dependent. This staff started that way.. but I think that has changed in quick amount of time

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 3

22 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

It seems there can be multiple ways to interpret what "pulled his offer after his OV" means.

Perhaps it doesn't matter, but for clarity, was it pulled immediately after or at the end of his OV maybe as a result of something discovered or that happened during the OV or was there some amount of time (days, weeks, months) after his OV that the offer was pulled?

3 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I don't think they are moving away. But I think in todays age you have to be balanced. You have to use all avenues in roster building. Last staff was too HS dependent. This staff started that way.. but I think that has changed in quick amount of time

I agree. We need balanced recruiting.