Breaking: New Commit 10/23

TheReal_jayD

On 10/25/2023 at 8:58 PM, TIgreen01 said:

At what point can we actually name the commits?  Only if they themselves post it first?  

If you mean “we” as in this board, yes. 

If you mean “we” as in the team, that would be not until they sign a letter of intent on national signing day.

• Upvote 1

A 6'5 265 DL playing at Denton Braswell. As @GMG_Dallas said above, he has another offer from UL-LA. I just watched his HUDL videos and I see why the staff went after him. He is a DL that is currently playing in the 3-3-5 in one of the biggest 6A districts (McKinney, Allen, Guyer, Prosper, etc..) in the state. It looks like they move him around on the DL. Some plays he lines up at nose and others he is lined up as a DE. It's nice to see him pushing the opposing OL around on the video. In this defense, if our DL do this, our LBs should swoop up behind them and make tackles (argument for another day). I did see he missed a couple of tackles on his highlight tape. However, the emphasis this off-season should be tackling fundamentals for the entire defense, so he will have plenty of learning opportunities. Additionally, with time with our strength and conditioning staff he get stronger/bigger . I think he will be a good rotational piece for the DL and it helps that he is already playing in a similar defense. 

https://www.hudl.com/profile/17981766/Matthew-Reed

• Upvote 4

32 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

A 6'5 265 DL playing at Denton Braswell. As @GMG_Dallas said above, he has another offer from UL-LA. I just watched his HUDL videos and I see why the staff went after him. He is a DL that is currently playing in the 3-3-5 in one of the biggest 6A districts (McKinney, Allen, Guyer, Prosper, etc..) in the state. It looks like they move him around on the DL. Some plays he lines up at nose and others he is lined up as a DE. It's nice to see him pushing the opposing OL around on the video. In this defense, if our DL do this, our LBs should swoop up behind them and make tackles (argument for another day). I did see he missed a couple of tackles on his highlight tape. However, the emphasis this off-season should be tackling fundamentals for the entire defense, so he will have plenty of learning opportunities. Additionally, with time with our strength and conditioning staff he get stronger/bigger . I think he will be a good rotational piece for the DL and it helps that he is already playing in a similar defense. 

https://www.hudl.com/profile/17981766/Matthew-Reed

If we still have this coach and scheme after this season...

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 1

3 hours ago, jtm0097 said:

I imagine he gets a hall pass for the year. It's unfortunate but what can we do.

What can we do? Not give him another contract. Bring in a DC that has some skins on the wall. Eric Morris' job relies on him righting this wrong. I can't possibly imagine it being much better in a year. We we still be in the bottom quarter of defensive statistics in the conference and triple digits nationally. Unless we just kill it in the portal, defensively. Two problems with that... Morris has directly said he's not a huge fan of the portal. And air raid coaches have a very long history of not prioritizing the defensive side of the ball in recruiting. If we think freshmen will save this D, you're wrong. 

• Eye Roll 1