Post game interview

19 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

We didn't block, we didn't tackle".

11 minutes ago, 3_n_out said:

”we have to look at ourselves in the mirror…as coaches and players. “

"We need to take a holistic approach." 

Please don't get me wrong - I want Morris to succeed because I care about UNT. I have been following the team since the 80s, and I will proudly wear the Green as long as I can. We are a textbook case study on how you get the same results when you do the same thing repeatedly. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

Locker room is changing.  Players are buying into what is being built and they know they should have won this game.   That’s what I recall. 

But that’s part of the failure. All this should have been implemented in Spring practice. I believe the most important step to make when establishing your culture is the first one. He already said he didn’t do it fully like he has done before. To me, that’s a massive failure which perpetuates itself from the start of the season on. Now you have to re-instill your philosophy and belief system instead of fully game planning for your opponents. Maybe I’m just speaking out of anger and disappointment, but it’s tough to see through this. Some, if not many, seem fairly inexperienced running these units. I just hope these mistakes won’t carry over for the next 2-3 years. By then, that may be too late for Morris. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

28 minutes ago, 3_n_out said:

But that’s part of the failure. All this should have been implemented in Spring practice. I believe the most important step to make when establishing your culture is the first one. He already said he didn’t do it fully like he has done before. To me, that’s a massive failure which perpetuates itself from the start of the season on. Now you have to re-instill your philosophy and belief system instead of fully game planning for your opponents. Maybe I’m just speaking out of anger and disappointment, but it’s tough to see through this. Some, if not many, seem fairly inexperienced running these units. I just hope these mistakes won’t carry over for the next 2-3 years. By then, that may be too late for Morris. 

I mean, then this failure would be on the players, right?  The horse(s) chose not to drink the water.  And, the thing is, they don't tell you that until the season unfolds.

The responsibility is still on Morris, but seems like a big reason to hold off on season 1 before making any big decisions about the staff.

Edited by greenminer

4 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I mean, then this failure would be on the players, right?  The horse(s) chose not to drink the water.  And, the thing is, they don't tell you that until the season unfolds.

Are we a legitimate football program? Do we hire legitimate coaches to run the program? Are the players we recruit a direct reflection of the school? And, if the answer is yes, then shouldn’t the coaches be able to put the players in the best position to succeed? Ask yourself, have they (coaches)?

if NO, then we are what we are…players AND coaches.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

Locker room is changing.  Players are buying into what is being built and they know they should have won this game.   That’s what I recall. 

In today's college football world where your entire roster (or a significant part of it) may change over every two years, I'm not sure "buying into what is being built" is going to be the difference maker it used to be.  By the time they fully buy-in, they will move on to their next stop on the college football carousel.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, keith said:

I'm not sure "buying into what is being built" is going to be the difference maker it used to be.

I think the difference is what coaches are trying to build. I think the players who went to Colorado bought into what Deion is building. It’s just not the long term dynasty we are used to seeing from Saban, Smart, etc.

Edited by DentonLurker

3 hours ago, 3_n_out said:

Are we a legitimate football program? Do we hire legitimate coaches to run the program? Are the players we recruit a direct reflection of the school? And, if the answer is yes, then shouldn’t the coaches be able to put the players in the best position to succeed? Ask yourself, have they (coaches)?

if NO, then we are what we are…players AND coaches.  

can we find better things to nitpick our coach about? I can probably look at any coaching change in history and find guys that didn’t 100% buy in year 1.

Observing this single shortcoming, then pointing fingers at the coach for and saying, “are we legit?”

I could copy-paste the above into every different complaint/thread.  Which, IMO, isn’t a good look.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 4

56 minutes ago, greenminer said:

can we find better things to nitpick our coach about? I can probably look at any coaching change in history and find guys that didn’t 100% buy in year 1.

Observing this single shortcoming, then pointing fingers at the coach for and saying, “are we legit?”

I could copy-paste the above into every different complaint/thread.  Which, IMO, isn’t a good look.

We’re UNT fans. We’re bowl eligible when it comes to nitpicking and pointing fingers. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

15 hours ago, greenminer said:

I think the part about Morris not implementing his culture strictly from the beginning is significant. He was saying he had to go back and enforce it now and that lost us time. IIRC he talked about discipline and players taking responsibility, and when we have looked poor in the games we've played it doesn't look like a smart choice on his part. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

I don't remember Morris saying that. He DID take responsibility for going for it instead of kicking a field goal. He did say that both the team and the coaches need to improve, but nothing about "3 phases of the game." 

I think it was parody.

• Upvote 2

On 10/8/2023 at 9:33 AM, 3_n_out said:

Don’t forget…

”we have to look at ourselves in the mirror…as coaches and players. “

Yeah, but while looking in the mirror, the coaches still cash those nice paychecks and the players still get at least a free education, room and board. 

Edited by meangreenbob

1 hour ago, Green Otaku said:

I think the part about Morris not implementing his culture strictly from the beginning is significant. He was saying he had to go back and enforce it now and that lost us time. IIRC he talked about discipline and players taking responsibility, and when we have looked poor in the games we've played it doesn't look like a smart choice on his part. 

I remember that.  I took it more as responsibilities/accountability,  not so much culture.  But I get it, they aren't exclusive.

Edited by greenminer