Calling This Before I Can Say "I Told You So"

rojomojo

3 hours ago, TIgreen01 said:

When you have a rotation of 8 guys, losing 2 of them is killer.  We desperately need more depth next season.  This has been an issue that we've managed to get lucky and dodge the last several years.  Maybe this is a limitation of our NIL funding/allocation?  Pulling in guys capable of contributing surely commands more funds.  

it happens everywhere, though...watching the Kansas/Kansas State game last night (TP with 8 of KSU's 11 in OT...closer) and KU, one of the top all-time programs in the country, is basically on a 5.5 man rotation...had 3 players go 43 of 45 minutes (and had 2 starters foul out super late in OT).

it's very abnormal...if not entirely unheard of...to have 12+ players significantly contributing (waiting for @NT80 to say every team is using their entire bench except for UNT)

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

it happens everywhere, though...watching the Kansas/Kansas State game last night (TP with 8 of KSU's 11 in OT...closer) and KU, one of the top all-time programs in the country, is basically on a 5.5 man rotation...had 3 players go 43 of 45 minutes (and had 2 starters foul out super late in OT).

it's very abnormal...if not entirely unheard of...to have 12+ players significantly contributing (waiting for @NT80 to say every team is using their entire bench except for UNT)

Agreed.  7-8 man rotation is what I’d think is pretty much the norm as far as players getting significant minutes. 

• Ray 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, NT80 said:

It’s crazy to limit this team to only 6 or 8 useable players.  We can carry up to 15 on the roster.  If the bench guys are not worthy then replace them with new recruits. 

I think it is probably pretty hard to fill out a roster when only 8-9 will ever see the court. Grant and now Hodge find guys that are high character and will bust their butt in practice everyday. From what I hear, their practices are brutal. I see guys on the end of the bench for Baylor, Houston, Duke, ect. that you never see in a game. Those guys are just glad to be there and probably aren't getting much if any NIL money. Hopefully some will develop into rotation players but some just aren't good enough but do their job at practice and don't complain. That is hard to find these days. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

I'm not talking 12-15 guys "significantly contributing" every game.  I'm talking about being ready and able to contribute something to the cause (in case of injuries).  We have guys that I've never seen in a real game, or maybe 5 minutes for the whole season. 

I don't claim to know all the coaching strategies(?) like some posters on this board.  But, again, why carry players you never intend to play except in practice scrimmages?   If your team has injuries, like a team I know, then your non-players will be forced to play anyway.  Shouldn't you want guys #9-15 that can contribute in some way in a real game more than as just a cheerleader on the bench? 

• Downvote 1

26 minutes ago, NT80 said:

But, again, why carry players you never intend to play except in practice scrimmages?   If your team has injuries, like a team I know, then your non-players will be forced to play anyway.  Shouldn't you want guys #9-15 that can contribute in some way in a real game more than as just a cheerleader on the bench? 

They are brought in with the intent to develop and play them.  But When none of them follow through and can contribute, you're stuck with them warming the bench.

It also IMO makes for fair criticism of the staff's recruiting efforts/strategies.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 2/5/2024 at 5:54 PM, UNTLifer said:

Did you project a string of injuries attributing to this?  Hope you lose your passport.

Read my first post... I said multiple athletes were injury prone

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

On 10/5/2023 at 7:30 PM, rojomojo said:

- UNT struggled last season with consistency and with an injury prone Rubin Jones, and an untrusted shooter with Matthew Stone, it's hard to see how this squad fares against improved competition 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

On 2/7/2024 at 3:56 AM, rojomojo said:

Read my first post... I said multiple athletes were injury prone

Looks like one, Rubin James, not multiple but you be you. 

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, greenminer said:

They are brought in with the intent to develop and play them.  But When none of them follow through and can contribute, you're stuck with them warming the bench.

It also IMO makes for fair criticism of the staff's recruiting efforts/strategies.

A player like Chris Morgan, 6-8 240.  Big body, probably great kid and teammate.  3rd year on the team and hasn't seen the floor.  We need more Robert Allen types for next season.  If Morgan is a starter next year shouldn't he be worthy of some time this season?  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

45 minutes ago, NT80 said:

A player like Chris Morgan, 6-8 240.  Big body, probably great kid and teammate.  3rd year on the team and hasn't seen the floor.  We need more Robert Allen types for next season.  If Morgan is a starter next year shouldn't he be worthy of some time this season?  

Yep.  It is time for Morgan to contribute or go.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I just don't think this is the banger "I told you so" you think it is.

This team is pretty good with our full lineup, and can compete for first place.

Now, if you are hanging your hat on saying "we have injury prone players", then congrats I guess.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

On 2/7/2024 at 9:20 AM, southsideguy said:

I was looking at lineup and I am really worried about next team.  Look at the players we lose and the guys behind the starters I am not sure can carry this team.  I guess I should worry about this year.

Can you elaborate? On our website’s roster it says the only seniors are jones and Allen.  

seems like we should have some pretty good talent coming back pending transfers.  We definitely need to find just a serviceable big man.  We really struggle at times when we play teams with size.   

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, southsideguy said:

So Scott has a year left?  I thought he was a senior.  we have seen the drop off when Jones is not in the lineup.  If they can bring in someone as talented we maybe ok,

Yes, Scott is just a junior. Has at least a year. Rubin is a senior, but I've heard scuttlebutt that he could come back next year, assuming he's got an extra Covid year. I don't know if Scott has the same thing. So hopefully both return.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, rojomojo said:

Wow... Looks like my predictions will be correct to even the exact record. I predicted them to finish 4 games above .500 and that is likely to occur. 

Dude go away. The team was missing 2 starters for all of conference play. Totally different team with & without - even you would admit that.

Record with full squad: 7-6

Record without full squad: 7-6

A blind man could see the difference!!!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, rojomojo said:

Wow... Looks like my predictions will be correct to even the exact record. I predicted them to finish 4 games above .500 and that is likely to occur. 

Are you really a fan?  Cause your posts don't really sound like it.  Why are you even here?

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

I've been pretty busy, but I wanted to post some observations. And I don't want to come off as sounding anything like @rojomojo, but there are concerns here...

1. Ross is getting outcoached more than he is out coaching. He let's runs go on and rarely interrupts them with timeouts. He leaves timeouts on the board in late game situations. He doesn't set plays for crucial pivot points of games, disrupting a momentum swing with a set bucket, out of timeout under our basket he seems content on getting the ball in bounds rather than running a set for an easy bucket, from a far he doesn't seem to demand perfection during games, doesn't work officials throughout games, etc. I'm not saying he's out of his element, but he clearly has a lot to learn at this level of basketball. I didn't expect to win conference, and I didn't even expect to be a top 4 seed. I did expect to flirt with 20 wins. That's the barometer in building programs, stacking 20-win seasons. 

2. I like Aaron Scott, his length, his hustle, but he has to be a more consistent producer offensively. He no shows too frequently. 

3. Jason Edwards: he's a bucket getting that plays with no efficiency. He has to be a volume shooter to be a volume scorer, because he doesn't know how to draw contact. He plays away from contact. In the NBA, that's fine. This isn't that. Also, he is a suspect ball handler that doesn't really need to be the 1, ever. 

4. Our bigs: They play well in spurts and then it's as if they aren't even on the floor in large portions of the game. 

5. Injuries have hurt us. No other way to put it. Rubin being absent has hurt the most, particularly for his defensive play. 

6. Defensively, we aren't the same team, because we aren't the same team on offense. It's very clear Mac dictated our pace when he was here, and Ross benefitted by that as the defensive assistant. 

7. Minimum goal from here on out: do not finish below .500 and go win a game in the conference tourney. NIT is probably out of the picture, so accept the CBI invitation and let's see if we can put together a run in that. 

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1