Our Defense is TERRIBLE!!!

Green Lantern

5 minutes ago, Travis said:

I immediately felt this when it was announced originally. It doesn’t work here. And I don’t know how our AD allowed it. 

You think the AD should be coaching the team?

NT hired an inexperienced coach that got embarrassed today.  That easy non-conference schedule maybe too tough for this team.  

NT's defense is going to have to substantially improve to win one conference game. 

It does not matter what defense is played, you have to tackle the ball carrier.  I don't recall ever seeing a worst tackling college team than I witnessed today. 

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 3

I’ve been following this program for a long time. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a defense so teeny tiny. How is a defense this small supposed to compete. Why would anyone do anything but just line up and run over that defense. You can’t put a scheme in place to make up for a defense  full of 5’10” 190 lb players. And Booger Kennedy was in the stadium today but he sure wasn’t on the field. 

FB6AB28E-07B2-49EC-8298-170B161B8A20.jpeg

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I’ve been following this program for a long time. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a defense so teeny tiny. How is a defense this small supposed to compete. Why would anyone do anything but just line up and run over that defense. You can’t put a scheme in place to make up for a defense  full of 5’10” 190 lb players. And Booger Kennedy was in the stadium today but he sure wasn’t on the field. 

FB6AB28E-07B2-49EC-8298-170B161B8A20.jpeg

NT is for some reason, using actual heights unlike most of college football.  Did you think the players actually shrunk from last year?

I believe they lost because they were an inferior team not because they couldn't measure up with those California redwoods.  

• Eye Roll 1

3 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

You think the AD should be coaching the team?

NT hired an inexperienced coach that got embarrassed today.  That easy non-conference schedule maybe too tough for this team.  

NT's defense is going to have to substantially improve to win one conference game. 

It does not matter what defense is played, you have to tackle the ball carrier.  I don't recall ever seeing a worst tackling college team than I witnessed today. 

I think any AD should be eyeing philosophy, 100%. Why wouldn't they? It's their ass on the line, too. 

Eyeballing the CVs of our current coaches.  Consider giving Caponi a new role, stop the bleeding, and find a guy on staff that can hold serve while we find a more permanent option (external/internal).  Here is Clay Jennings resume, who is the only other guy we have that has some level of DC experience.

1996: UNT, student assistant
1997: UNT, graduate assistant
1998: Morehouse College, secondary
1999: Morningside College, secondary
2000: Southern Arkansas, secondary
2001-02: Sam Houston State, secondary/recruiting coordinator
2003-04: Louisiana, secondary
2005-06: Houston, safeties
2007: Baylor, corners
2008-13: TCU, corners
2014-15: Arkansas, secondary
2016: Texas, defensive backs
2017: Houston, co-defensive coordinator/secondary
2018: Texas tech, defensive backs
2019-20: UNT, corners
2021: UNLV, corners and nickels
2022: Texas State, passing game coordinator/defensive backs
2023-: UNT, safeties

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Venson said:

At this point Caponi has to go. I know I am an keyboard warrior and the HC should not over react, but this is on him. He has to make the hard decisions and this is one of them. Caponi's defense and his inexperienced staff need to go.

Inexperienced? Look at our LB coach. What experience? I posted about how bad our LBs are in a little defensive film study last week and a poster pointed out that our LB cosch didn't have any experience. It shows. It showed last week. It showed tonight. Pitiful, really. Caponi and whoever that guy is, and I'm trying not to knee jerk here, both need to go. 

So we hire a HC that hires a DC whose only DC job was as a DC at a D3 school. Other than that he has travelled the coaching circuit as a position coach and he thinks it's a great idea to give him a DC position because he has been a position coach on a defense that did well because their DC was better.

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Inexperienced? Look at our LB coach. What experience? I posted about how bad our LBs are in a little defensive film study last week and a poster pointed out that our LB cosch didn't have any experience. It shows. It showed last week. It showed tonight. Pitiful, really. Caponi and whoever that guy is, and I'm trying not to knee jerk here, both need to go. 

Continuously having 5 guys in the box when FIU was in 12 personnel was mind boggling.  

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

1 minute ago, Green Lantern said:

Continuously having 5 guys in the box when FIU was in 12 personnel was mind boggling.  

Same thing last week and people on here talking like Cal are CFB playoff contenders. Caponi has no idea what he is doing. I'm embarrassed for him, but most importantly, embarrassed for UNT. 

• Upvote 3