AAC not interested in Oregon State or Washington State.

Arkstfan

8 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

Not so with attendance and ticket sales. OSUs five year average is 35k, Wazzu is 30k. And that's when you've got UCLA, USC, Wachington and Oregon coming in. How many of the OSU and Wazzu fans are going to come for UNLV, San Jose State, and Wyoming? 

In the American, ECU's 5 year average is 36k, Memphis is 34k, Navy is 32k, and South Florida is 34k so they are roughly equivalent.

After afive or six years without P5 money coming in, the Pac-2 won't have a huge advantage anymore. 

Agree with this.  

It's better overall (for us and the AAC) that Cal and Stanford were picked up by the ACC (by 1 changed vote).   Otherwise, had the PAC remained viable they could have tried to purge several of the better AAC and MWC teams.   Trading Smut for Army could still be a win too.   

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Arkstfan said:

Why?

You want crappy football at least get someone who can play decent basketball too. UConn had AAC membership and made the calculation that Big East was a better fit for the sports Big East sponsors. The AAC membership said all or nuthin and they took nothing. 

I don't think Army will accept but that's the first call. Army last year 1/3rd of their schedule was Sun Belt and 1/2 their losses were to Sun Belt. They've sort of figured out a niche. They understand the bowl oversupply means they're going to find a slot. CBSSN gives them love. 

I had a senior moment . Forgot U Conn left the AAC.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

I'm not saying they will not be at/near the top, but let's see how big of an offseason hit they both take in recruiting and players hitting the portals. They will not be able to keep up the same spending levels, which will have an impact. Also, I know most of us focus our attention on football and Basketball, but there would also be a tremendous impact on the other sports, which would hit hard at the G5 level.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Green Otaku said:

People that are saying this isn't a big deal forget that if the MWC takes the PAC name they will have written autonomy and a piece of the CFP money by name.

Adding Washington State and Oregon State would unquestionable be huge for the MWC.  But they would not be nearly as much of an asset for the AAC.  I wouldn't mind having them in our conference; but if the numbers don't justify it, then I understand not inviting them.  We certainly shouldn't invite them just to keep the MWC from improving as a conference.

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

1 hour ago, Arkstfan said:

I don't think Army will accept but that's the first call. Army last year 1/3rd of their schedule was Sun Belt and 1/2 their losses were to Sun Belt. They've sort of figured out a niche. They understand the bowl oversupply means they're going to find a slot. CBSSN gives them love. 

“The realignment certainly gets your attention,” Army athletic director Mike Buddie said. “We weigh that option every year. We value our independence so much, it just hasn’t made sense for us up to this point. But the shifting tides of conference realignment, expanded college football playoff, all those things could play a factor in re-evaluating.”

https://apnews.com/article/college-football-sports-army-west-point-black-knights-navy-midshipmen-villanova-wildcats-22ec674cfc3e34d8a978e4340f743367

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Adding Washington State and Oregon State would unquestionable be huge for the MWC.  But they would not be nearly as much of an asset for the AAC.  I wouldn't mind having them in our conference; but if the numbers don't justify it, then I understand not inviting them.  We certainly shouldn't invite them just to keep the MWC from improving as a conference.

The ultimate plan would have been to add those two as a foothold in the west. Then add in someone along the lines of SDSU, CSU, BSU, AFA, and FSU to ease travel and gain a bump in media rights cementing us as the best of the rest. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

The ultimate plan would have been to add those two as a foothold in the west. Then add in someone along the lines of SDSU, CSU, BSU, AFA, and FSU to ease travel and gain a bump in media rights cementing us as the best of the rest. 

With it being unlikely that any of those other teams you mention would pay the MWC's mammoth exit fees to join the AAC, we'd more likely just be left with WSU and Oregon State as geographical outliers.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

I didnßt expect this. Espeically not this fast. I get Arrescos logic that those two may not be addititve to the american looked at only by themselves. And it might well turn out that this is the right decision. But I am worried about the opportunity cost of letting the MWC have them. If the CFP stays at 6 champions +6 at larges its not a big deal. But if that number changes to 5+7 (as seems likely), then losing SMU and letting MWC have those two might well create enough of a perception gap between the MWC and AAC that it might become very hard to get teams into the playoffs. If that happens, the AAC stops being the conference from which teams move up.

• Upvote 1

This was an interesting side-plot to the ACC travel issue for minor sports.   Let them meet in DFW to play?
Doesn't sound so great for any of their parents or fan participation, lol.

xR1WVjS9_normal.jpg

Cal Chancellor Carol Christ on non-revenue travel for sports like baseball, softball, volleyball and soccer. "The ACC is really interested in using Dallas as a place where teams may come together to minimize the travel."

I just feel like we didn’t really accomplish anything.  We just lost.  Hopefully Aresco has information we don’t and i guess we have to trust him for now.  But we have to stop pretending this was the outcome we wantedZ. AAC is weakened by losing SMU and the Mountain West is strengthened by the AAC steering clear of the PAC2.

https://x.com/mhver3/status/1697716106599825432?s=46&t=NF302_aIOAI3ysJWw9mToQ

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, meangreenfaninno said:

I just feel like we didn’t really accomplish anything.  We just lost.  Hopefully Aresco has information we don’t and i guess we have to trust him for now.  But we have to stop pretending this was the outcome we wantedZ. AAC is weakened by losing SMU and the Mountain West is strengthened by the AAC steering clear of the PAC2.

Apparently Aresco met with current AAC AD's and there wasn't enough support to see it through. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, NT80 said:
This was an interesting side-plot to the ACC travel issue for minor sports.   Let them meet in DFW to play?
Doesn't sound so great for any of their parents or fan participation, lol.

xR1WVjS9_normal.jpg

Cal Chancellor Carol Christ on non-revenue travel for sports like baseball, softball, volleyball and soccer. "The ACC is really interested in using Dallas as a place where teams may come together to minimize the travel."

Yeah, call me skeptical on that.  It seems like it would be a lot easier for everyone to keep a game at home and travel a little further for the away game than to make them both away games.

And then you'd have to pay to rent a facility.

And then you'd play in front of empty stands.

Sounds like a terrible idea to me.

EDIT:  Isn't this in the wrong thread?

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

With it being unlikely that any of those other teams you mention would pay the MWC's mammoth exit fees to join the AAC, we'd more likely just be left with WSU and Oregon State as geographical outliers.

The MWC deal is done after 2025, meaning it would be similar to the PAC where teams pay no exit fee. 

59 minutes ago, meangreenfaninno said:

ACC expansion accomplished a couple things.  It ended a P5 conference (we gained by attrition).  It also preserved the AAC from losing multiple teams to a rebuilt Pac, as Tulane, Rice, Memphis, and USF were all mentioned at one point.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

If the AAC landed the pac2 then they can raid 3 MWC programs. Now, we're standing in the middle of uncertainty. And better believe the likes of Memphis, Tulane, USF will be looking up skirts 24/7. 

11 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

If the AAC landed the pac2 then they can raid 3 MWC programs. Now, we're standing in the middle of uncertainty. And better believe the likes of Memphis, Tulane, USF will be looking up skirts 24/7. 

Honestly, if we can finally get things figured out on the football field (and improving attendance wouldn't hurt, either), we'll be higher on the pecking order than any of those other programs.

• Upvote 1

Word on the AAC board is that some of the eastern schools weren't interested in the long travel to WSU/OSU and told Aresco not to go any further in pursuing them. 

"While the conference showed interest in WSU & OSU and Aresco was invited to give a presentation and visit the schools. there wasn't enough support within the AAC membership to go further. The strain of travel from places like Boca Raton, Fl. to Pullman Wash was too much on athletes as well as cost. If the geography had been different, maybe this would have been a no-brainer, Aresco to The Athletic"

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 minute ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Maybe, but how it sits today we certainly are not. 

USF was only athletically relevant when Jim Leavitt was their head coach.  Tulane has to prove that last season was not an outlier.  But yes, Memphis would have been the next team in the Big XII.

Just now, Mean Green 93-98 said:

USF was only athletically relevant when Jim Leavitt was their head coach.  Tulane has to prove that last season was not an outlier.  But yes, Memphis would have been the next team in the Big XII.

USF is not good. However, they are allegedly building a 300M on-campus stadium and that will be a game changer for them. Meanwhile, we're trying to scrape cushion change together (relatively speaking) to expand our AC we've been talking about doing for 4-5-6-7 years.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1