Can we please come up with a unified ending to the “North…Texas” chant?

Tommy Gadberry

The biggest problem is the time when the people upstairs start it.  More than a couple were started last year after a big play for the other team or bad play for us or when we were already down multiple scores.  We need someone that isn't a sport idiot starting it in the appropriate times. No one wants to do a cheer when we've just been kicked in our sports nuts.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Green Crazy said:

The biggest problem is the time when the people upstairs start it.  More than a couple were started last year after a big play for the other team or bad play for us or when we were already down multiple scores.  We need someone that isn't a sport idiot starting it in the appropriate times. No one wants to do a cheer when we've just been kicked in our sports nuts.

Let's get Rob Coffee to start it. That way, everyone's on cue. NutsaK uses their PA guy and they have a good, loud, concise chant. Maybe someone can look that up.

Edited by Hunter Green
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Glory to the Green said:

It’s like the wave, man. It either fades over time, or a big play drowns it out. It’s up to our boys in Green to drown it out ala Fine in the LaTech 2017 game. Gives me goosebumps.  

Or what about the time when we got the sack against La Tech in that same game. I swear the NORTH - TEXAS cadence had La Tech completely shook. One of my all time favorite moments as a fan.... the roar of the crowd afterwards was immaculate

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

4 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

It should happen at the start of every defensive possession for us when the game is tied or if we're leading. As 1 poster eloquently put it, my sports nuts are tender when losing by 3 scores. 

Originally I never recalled the PA being involved.  And a few times I think I seen it start organically the cheerleaders, and spirit core jumping on the bangwagon once it started.  I prefer it that way or instigated by the cheerleaders/spirit core.  As for the ending I think we are worried about the wrong thing.  

Now everyone close your eyes and think of the clean ending of the "SEC" or FSU Seminoles War Chant.   I bet you can't.  Part of the charm of the War Chant is that it trails off to a low mumur just until a huge play for FSU is completed.  

The only thing I could suggest is FIGHT, Go-Mean-Green at the end.  But since you really can't fit all that on a board with big enough letters for everyone to see that is a manageable 2 people to handle waving, it requires a lot of fan, student, and alumni education.  It going to be very rough until everyone knows about it and buys in.   Having it look bad the first year we have more games that are available on traditional cable against higher profile opponents isn't worth it.   Maybe we can try to get a popularly known and used ending during 2024 and experiment with in in the spring portion of Basketball season.  

• Downvote 1

At the end of every NT score, after the fight song, I've always thought we should have the cheerleaders hold a piece of plywood up as a platform for Scrappy.  He does whatever to get the stands attention, the crowd yells "Gooooooooooo", then on cue, one side says "North", the other side "Texas", 5 times, then end with "Go Mean Green" in unison.  Chant over, then PA announcements, more band music, etc until resuming play.

• Upvote 1