Stone Earle Named Starter

TheReal_jayD

5 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

What do you mean "two QB system"?  Almost every team in the country has more than 1 QB take snaps during the course of a season.  Unless you have some insider information, none of us knows how Coach Morris plans to get Chandler into the game.

Lol I’m not meaning that no other QB takes a single snap all season? There’s still garbage time & then times with obscure packages (like stone last year) where QBs play. 

Two QB system meaning they split snaps in some capacity, switch out every other drive or every 3, something along those lines. From the interview that’s what Morris seemed to be hinting at. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

7 minutes ago, Graddean said:

The 1957 Rice Owls won the Southwest Conference with two Quarterbacks:King Hill and Frank Ryan.  I know the game has changed, but Rice made it work.

Respect for that incredibly deep cut but yeah that wasn’t the same sport basically. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, TheNewEra said:

Lol I’m not meaning that no other QB takes a single snap all season? There’s still garbage time & then times with obscure packages (like stone last year) where QBs play. 

Two QB system meaning they split snaps in some capacity, switch out every other drive or every 3, something along those lines. From the interview that’s what Morris seemed to be hinting at. 

Well, obviously they will split snaps in some capacity.  Again, that would refer to every team that plays more than 1 QB during a season.  But I guess I missed where Morris said they would switch out every other drive or every 3.  Could you give me the quote?

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

After watching the press conference I don’t think the QB competition is over. After saying “Stone will probably go out with the ones”, Morris immediately says we will see Rogers play. 
I don’t think Morris is comfortable rolling with one guy 100% until he sees how they perform under the pressure of a real game. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

After watching the press conference I don’t think the QB competition is over. After saying “Stone will probably go out with the ones”, Morris immediately says we will see Rogers play. 
I don’t think Morris is comfortable rolling with one guy 100% until he sees how they perform under the pressure of a real game. 

Yeah, you're probably right.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Well, obviously they will split snaps in some capacity.  Again, that would refer to every team that plays more than 1 QB during a season.  But I guess I missed where Morris said they would switch out every other drive or every 3.  Could you give me the quote?

Dude what are you saying???

You’re saying obviously they’re splitting snaps in some capacity but Morris never directly said that. So why would you ask me for a direct quote when we both are making inferences from what he’s saying???

and yes you’re correct, there are other schools that play multiple quarterbacks. One you would call a two qb system where they split snaps in some percentage or maybe ones a runner & ones a passer. The other being a where one QB plays 98/99% of the game & a guy comes in for garbage time for 2 min in the 4th or maybe one play on the goal line. That’s not a two qb system..

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I think Morris is keeping the cards close to his chest and making Cal prep for 2 QB’s while also trying to keep the QB who everyone expected to win the job happy so he sticks around as a very good back up.  Sure, Stone could lay an egg and he roll with Rogers, but I think Stone’s the guy and Rogers will be change of pace and mop up. 

Edited by GreenBacker
  • Upvote 4

4 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

The Green Room (Brune and Collin) really put a negative spin on this (it looks like they checked in with Mike Craven first to maintain the DCTF party line). It seems like a couple of guys who can't understand how the person the anointed (Rogers) was not given the job on a silver platter. I like the guys, but this was one of the worst Pods that have ever done. Both, especially Collin, very negative.

They were negative because it’s very concerning after all this time we still don’t have a clear QB1. It’s not their job to sugarcoat everything like some of you want.

If Morris would have come out and said something like, “It’s been a great battle this camp, but in the end Stone Earle has earned the right to lead us this fall as our starting Quarterback…” Brune and Collin wouldn’t have been as negative. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

If someone had done a poll at the end of Spring ball, how many votes would Stone have gotten as QB1 to start the season.  I love it that the coaches opened up a true competition to find the best QB.  

I’ve seen a few posts saying things such as “Stone has moxie”, “Stone has IT”, “ Stone is the dawg” and I tend to agree even though I admittedly have very little knowledge of him.  I just liked his presence in his limited action last season.  He gave off a vibe that he belonged on the field and that he was going to have success.

As others have said, I’m not crazy about the “both QB’s will play,” but until proven otherwise I trust this staff to use them wisely. 

Edited by NT93
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, TheNewEra said:

I would love to hear one good example of a time the two QB system has worked?? It’s notoriously been terrible in almost every instance. 

I guess what I’m assuming, until I see something different, is that there will be designed plays for Rogers, whether that’s options, particular passes or down and distance while Stone takes the majority of the snaps.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, TheNewEra said:

team america vomit GIF

• Haha 2
  • Oh Boy! 1

5 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

This is how I see it and it makes sense to me. Someone will probably establish themself as the true starter at some point before the toughest part of the schedule . 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

They were negative because it’s very concerning after all this time we still don’t have a clear QB1. It’s not their job to sugarcoat everything like some of you want.

If Morris would have come out and said something like, “It’s been a great battle this camp, but in the end Stone Earle has earned the right to lead us this fall as our starting Quarterback…” Brune and Collin wouldn’t have been as negative. 

I agree with this. And then adding something like, “We also have some packages for Rogers that will utilize some of the things he does really well.”  The framing would have an entirely different vibe compared to what Morris said. Maybe that’s why some coaches default to coach speak?  🤷🏽‍♂️

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Glory to the Green said:

I agree with this. And then adding something like, “We also have some packages for Rogers that will utilize some of the things he does really well.”  The framing would have an entirely different vibe compared to what Morris said. Maybe that’s why some coaches default to coach speak?  🤷🏽‍♂️

It's exactly why. People going to dissect everything anyways so why give more than needed. If he says Rogers will come in for special packages, that tells the opposing team to look out for number 4 under center and expect something different when he's on the field. Why give opposing teams anything like that?

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

It's exactly why. People going to dissect everything anyways so why give more than needed. If he says Rogers will come in for special packages, that tells the opposing team to look out for number 4 under center and expect something different when he's on the field. Why give opposing teams anything like that?

I see your point.  No benefit to giving out more info. 

• Upvote 4

The stats for Aune look really good until you are at the game and see how many third downs we lost to balls thrown at the feet of the receivers or over their heads.  Stats dont always tell the whole story.  UAB head coach has a Super Bowl ring and Romo not so much but who had the better stats?   I not exactly sure of his wins or lost but it is about 500 at best at starting qb for UNT.  I will give him a little room because we had no defense the last couple of years.  His day has past and as we look to the future I hope we have our next Mason Fine in the qb now.  Time will tell.

45 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

The stats for Aune look really good until you are at the game and see how many third downs we lost to balls thrown at the feet of the receivers or over their heads.  Stats dont always tell the whole story.  UAB head coach has a Super Bowl ring and Romo not so much but who had the better stats?   I not exactly sure of his wins or lost but it is about 500 at best at starting qb for UNT.  I will give him a little room because we had no defense the last couple of years.  His day has past and as we look to the future I hope we have our next Mason Fine in the qb now.  Time will tell.

That is an absurd argument. Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl because the Ravens had possibly the best defense in NFL history. I mean freaking Rex Grossman took the Bears to the Super Bowl with a good defense in his corner. If we had our 2013 defense last season I have zero doubt we’d have been conference champions with Aune at quarterback.

Also, even the great Mason Fine only won 4 games in his senior season while losing 8.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 5

14 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

That is an absurd argument. Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl because the Ravens had possibly the best defense in NFL history. I mean freaking Rex Grossman took the Bears to the Super Bowl with a good defense in his corner. If we had our 2013 defense last season I have zero doubt we’d have been conference champions with Aune at quarterback.

Also, even the great Mason Fine only won 4 games in his senior season while losing 8.

I am concerned that Defense does not seem to be a focal point in Air Raid systems. Even if we don't have an elite Defense,  I hope we can develop an "average to good" Defense.

3 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I am concerned that Defense does not seem to be a focal point in Air Raid systems. Even if we don't have an elite Defense,  I hope we can develop an "average to good" Defense.

Defense is certainly not emphasized. Look at our current recruiting class for starters... We have 37 WR and a QB. Also, getting in the stack basically screams we are praying for confusion that equates to turnovers. This sort of feels like Seth Littrell, tbh. It will boil down to can Morris' staff recruit better than Littrell's all the while developing high level QB play (starter and non-starters). 

During the SL era we struggled with big bodied teams that emphasized the run game. UAB and the likes were our achilles heel. We were often more talented than they were, but they would go into.our games and bully ball us because our coach couldn't land better defensive players. I just use UAB as an example. 

• Upvote 2