Scrimmage open?

GreenBacker

Just now, UNTLifer said:

Hearing from who, or is it whom?

Multiple sources as of now. Many hinting that Earle indeed locked in the spot based on how he performed at the scrimmage. Just waiting for the OFFICIAL word. We shall see if we get the official word Monday or maybe sooner!

• Upvote 4

31 minutes ago, Jdawg48 said:

Multiple sources as of now. Many hinting that Earle indeed locked in the spot based on how he performed at the scrimmage. Just waiting for the OFFICIAL word. We shall see if we get the official word Monday or maybe sooner!

Thanks. I slid over to Twitter/X and see what you are talking about. Sounds like Earle separated himself. 
Does he remind anyone else of Baker Mayfield?  Playing style/swagger not personality. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

QB- Stone Earle (#3) is your QB. He made one incredible play scrambling and throwing a 30 yard TD across his body right before he went out of bounds. Later on he made a truly remarkable play throwing a 50+ yard TD after escaping the pocket scrambling to his left. I feel bad for Rogers, it's not like he did anything bad tonight, Earle is just the guy.

RB- We already know about the big 4. Farrar got plenty of reps and showed his patience and shiftiness, good player and his deceptive size helps him.

WR- Trey Cleveland is impressive, hopefully he can fill a good bit of the void Shorter left behind. Maclin/ Burns will be good, Ward/Horton/Jordan Smart should all get plenty of snaps. Landon Sides flashed a little as well and got time returning kicks.

OL- First unit looked solid enough, #67 Miner had a couple big blocks including one straight up pancake of #94 Marcus Moore. 2nd team RT Larry Brown looked really good, a little back story about him: At Tech Matt Wells wanted to switch him to DL, then the new coach swapped him back to OL and he lost valuable practice time during spring training one of the years he was there. When he transferred here this year he dropped a weight on his foot and again missed valuable practice time. He is just now getting a bunch of reps at his natural position and should something happen to Duncan we are in very good hands. The big kid from Ohio (404 lbs) looked more nimble than I expected for the 3's.

DL- We are extremely undersized for a 3 man front and I am genuinely worried. I saw the guy we made a priority to sign from JUCO #94 Marcus Moore get flatlined and pushed around on several other plays. If one of Mazin Richards or Brown go down for an extended period we are going to be in a world of hurt. The second unit did little to inspire me. We don't have experienced linebackers to count on to fill the gaps this is a big concern to me, maybe other posters aren't as doom and gloom about this position as I am but this is not a strength in my eyes.

LB- Lots of young and green players getting playing time. I like their hustle, I think Wesloski has got something, I'm going to wait and reserve judgement until we play but if I had to guess this will be a maddening group with some blown coverages and mistakes who is hopefully rounding in to form during the second half of the season.

DB- I think both Nakwaasah and Phil Hill have got something. Surprised at the length and athleticism of some of these guys. Loved the leadership I saw from this group. 

*Just my opinion, I am not an expert.

Thanks for the recap! 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

QB- Stone Earle (#3) is your QB. He made one incredible play scrambling and throwing a 30 yard TD across his body right before he went out of bounds. Later on he made a truly remarkable play throwing a 50+ yard TD after escaping the pocket scrambling to his left. I feel bad for Rogers, it's not like he did anything bad tonight, Earle is just the guy.

RB- We already know about the big 4. Farrar got plenty of reps and showed his patience and shiftiness, good player and his deceptive size helps him.

WR- Trey Cleveland is impressive, hopefully he can fill a good bit of the void Shorter left behind. Maclin/ Burns will be good, Ward/Horton/Jordan Smart should all get plenty of snaps. Landon Sides flashed a little as well and got time returning kicks.

OL- First unit looked solid enough, #67 Miner had a couple big blocks including one straight up pancake of #94 Marcus Moore. 2nd team RT Larry Brown looked really good, a little back story about him: At Tech Matt Wells wanted to switch him to DL, then the new coach swapped him back to OL and he lost valuable practice time during spring training one of the years he was there. When he transferred here this year he dropped a weight on his foot and again missed valuable practice time. He is just now getting a bunch of reps at his natural position and should something happen to Duncan we are in very good hands. The big kid from Ohio (404 lbs) looked more nimble than I expected for the 3's.

DL- We are extremely undersized for a 3 man front and I am genuinely worried. I saw the guy we made a priority to sign from JUCO #94 Marcus Moore get flatlined and pushed around on several other plays. If one of Mazin Richards or Brown go down for an extended period we are going to be in a world of hurt. The second unit did little to inspire me. We don't have experienced linebackers to count on to fill the gaps this is a big concern to me, maybe other posters aren't as doom and gloom about this position as I am but this is not a strength in my eyes.

LB- Lots of young and green players getting playing time. I like their hustle, I think Wesloski has got something, I'm going to wait and reserve judgement until we play but if I had to guess this will be a maddening group with some blown coverages and mistakes who is hopefully rounding in to form during the second half of the season.

DB- I think both Nakwaasah and Phil Hill have got something. Surprised at the length and athleticism of some of these guys. Loved the leadership I saw from this group. 

Slight correction--that's Larry Moore, not Larry Brown. 

Thanks for the insight!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

Should we be concerned the elite QB throws seem to be while scrambling?  I'm glad he can do that but would prefer he be protected in the pocket too.   

Your DL summary is concerning, especially if undersized.  I trust the coaches will get them all where they need to be, but the season is fast approaching in two weeks.

1 hour ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

Going to a 3 man front with our personnel was ALWAYS going to be a horrid idea, as if a 3 man front is ever really a good idea. 

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, NT80 said:

Should we be concerned the elite QB throws seem to be while scrambling?  I'm glad he can do that but would prefer he be protected in the pocket too.   

Your DL summary is concerning, especially if undersized.  I trust the coaches will get them all where they need to be, but the season is fast approaching in two weeks.

Hopefully our OL is just that good, that our DL is not so bad. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, NT80 said:

I don’t think so, he moved the ball well enough and made throws across the middle. The point I was trying to get across was he showed he’s capable of both moving the ball and making something happen when the play breaks down, he was pretty accurate in my opinion. 

I will say I’m not a HS football coach or anything there are people on this forum who know football better than me that may have a different assessment. 

Im excited to see Logan Wilson Phil Hill and Nakwaasah playing safety. Im not saying any of those guys will be all conference but it’s been a decade since that position has been a strength maybe they make enough strides to where that’s the case this year. I could be wrong but I think I saw #98 and #35 Chris Wright taking second team snaps on the DL with #9 Enoch Jackson inside. Kagden Roach and Vailea both rotated in with 1s and 2s. #22 Matthew Moore and #24 Juco signee Chavez Brown at second team LB as well. I didn’t pay attention to the corners all that much that’s all I can remember. 

I recorded 5 or 6 snaps on my phone but I don’t know if putting a video up of any of our plays on this forum two weeks before the season starts is a good idea or even allowed. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, NT80 said:

I for one am delighted that he makes throws while scrambling. 

• Upvote 3

IIRC, JayD was pretty excited about landing Stone two years ago.

This is a rough paraphrasing…“Had Stone entered the portal this last offseason from ACU, we would have had a much tougher time landing him.”

I’m excited to see what he can do.  And if the lights are too bright, which I doubt, Rogers as a #2 is an incredible problem to have. 

• Upvote 3