PAC 12 Realignment Talk Mega Thread (All 12 threads merged)

2 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

This is a great article.  

Now I wonder if the author can explain how Texas, who has every possible advantage, has a perpetual mantra of “this year we’re back…no, for real this time”

That may be the most annoying thig at the start to every season.  We have to listen to whorn fans and the media they pay off, tell us for 2 months that "they're back", and this is the season they win....".  It's really annoying having to listen to that BS until early September.

20 hours ago, NT80 said:

Source: Florida State among 4 ACC schools against adding Cal, Stanford

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/38175003/florida-state-4-acc-schools-adding-cal-stanford

Prediction - these four are negotiating and will come to an agreement where they get a larger share of the payouts and agree to let these two, and possibly SMU join

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

4 minutes ago, C Rod said:

1. If true, Aresco would open up the America to lawsuits and damages in the tens of millions of dollars by the teams kicked out.

2. Also, Why would Aresco negotiate a deal with Oliver Luck to basically put himself out of a job?

100% agree on both. Just a fun thought exercise. SMU still trying to walk out? Lol

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, C Rod said:

1. If true, Aresco would open up the America to lawsuits and damages in the tens of millions of dollars by the teams kicked out.

2. Also, Why would Aresco negotiate a deal with Oliver Luck to basically put himself out of a job?

Theoretically they won’t be kicking anyone out.  They will form a new conference.  So we will still be in the AAC but will have to backfill the teams that leave with CUSS and the Belch. Yuk!

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

17 minutes ago, Ross Hodgeson said:

Unfortunately this is not good for us.  They don’t need two teams in Dallas and SMU will screw us again. Ugh

I don’t know…

SMU has made it *VERY* clear they don’t value the American and are willing to do everything the can to get out—including foregoing conference revenue for up to seven (!) years. 

SMU has money, but they haven’t done anything impressive with that money recently. They’ve fielded okay football teams and really bad basketball teams. 

If I’m Aresco, I want the DFW market, and I’m probably annoyed with SMU publicly discrediting my conference recently. I probably see that North Texas has done more with less recently and will bring more eyeballs given the size of the school enrollment and alumni. 

There’s a chance he sees more potential value in UNT over SMU.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dannymacfan said:

But won't they have to kick out  the C-USA terms before any American ones?  Seems like any of the schools like us that just got in would be on the choppin block first.

Depends on how the “new” conference wants to align. If travel is the biggest concern, the furthest east teams should be the most worried.

• Upvote 1

Anyone else seeing these Tweets from USF fans, looking down us (and Charlotte)?  Kinda wild.  Wonder where it comes from.

Help me see past my Mean Green bias: why would a USF fan think we are droppable, giving preference to UAB/UTSA?

The tone suggests this is something bigger/deeper than simply travel costs.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

For some reason, people see UTSA as a sleeping giant despite the fact they don’t have an on campus stadium, play in a HS arena, and have one of (the?) lowest budgets in the AAC. UAB has some basketball pedigree and is the only show in Birmingham. Also it’s just unfamiliarity to a degree. 

This coming from fans of one of the most dogshit schools athletically in the AAC is funny, tho. 

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, ColoradoEagle said:

For some reason, people see UTSA as a sleeping giant . . .

UTSA football was almost undefeated in 2021 and was ranked as high as #15 in the nation.  They've won back to back conference championships, and have been ranked in the top 25 for the past 2 years, and they pull 30K people to their games.  Let's give them credit, they've created a lot of buzz around the brand very quickly.

More evidence that winning builds brands a LOT faster than facilities do.

Edited by TripleGrad
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

56 minutes ago, ColoradoEagle said:

For some reason, people see UTSA as a sleeping giant despite the fact they don’t have an on campus stadium, play in a HS arena, and have one of (the?) lowest budgets in the AAC.

I get what you’re saying, but they do have higher ticket sales numbers and higher donation $’s than us.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoEagle said:

For some reason, people see UTSA as a sleeping giant despite the fact they don’t have an on campus stadium, play in a HS arena, and have one of (the?) lowest budgets in the AAC. UAB has some basketball pedigree and is the only show in Birmingham. Also it’s just unfamiliarity to a degree. 

This coming from fans of one of the most dogshit schools athletically in the AAC is funny, tho. 

I like to dog^&* on our rivals, too, but I don't follow this.  Lacking an on campus stadium seems more like a credibility/perception thing.  When we talk about sleeping giants, I think of crowds and wins first, not facility location.

Do some of y'all have a hard time processing Memphis bball as a giant because they play in a city arena?

Just trying to understand.

• Upvote 2