PAC 12 Realignment Talk Mega Thread (All 12 threads merged)

8 minutes ago, outoftown said:

Slightly worried about the MWC getting stronger and trying to go big. Or splitting in two. Not worried about the PAC. Its a conference who is down to essentially 4 teams, 2 of which are still hoping to get into the B1G and, finally they also owe still about 50 to 70 million elsewhere (comcast etc). Why keep that albatross around if you don't need to? Much more likely teams will get absorbed by the MWC than the other way around.

Let those 6 pay their $32 million exit fees and merge with the AAC

I wish I was as optimistic as most on this board, but I don’t see how this is good for the MWC or AAC.  The PAC 12 brand has value, and presents the opportunity for the four remaining schools to align with the best academic schools in both the MWC and AAC.  What I see possibly happening is this.

California, Stanford, OSU, WSU, San Diego State, Air Force, CSU, SMU, Rice, and Tulane.  That’s 10 to settle things down and a start.  They could add a couple more now or later.  CSU and Air Force get games in the central time zone and in Texas, which they’re on record as wanting.  

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, UNTX said:

I wish I was as optimistic as most on this board, but I don’t see how this is good for the MWC or AAC.  The PAC 12 brand has value, and presents the opportunity for the four remaining schools to align with the best academic schools in both the MWC and AAC.  What I see possibly happening is this.

California, Stanford, OSU, WSU, San Diego State, Air Force, CSU, SMU, Rice, and Tulane.  That’s 10 to settle things down and a start.  They could add a couple more now or later.  CSU and Air Force get games in the central time zone and in Texas, which they’re on record as wanting.  

The problem for the MWC teams is they would have to pay $32 million if they wanted to play in the PAC in 2024 or $17 million for 2025. With these schools gone no way that Apple will keep the offer on the table.  Maybe they could merge the two and keep the PAC brand? I still would not be surprised to see Stanford go independent. 

• Upvote 4

• TheReal_jayD changed the title to PAC 12 Realignment Talk Mega Thread (All 12 threads merged)
On 7/30/2023 at 10:26 PM, Matt from A700 said:

As hysterical as this situation may be for SMU, I've been really turned off by how big these conferences are getting. I mean, how much more TV money is there to be given?

If the rumors are true of the Big 10 adding Oregon, Washington, Clemson, and Florida State, you're at 20 teams. You've gotten to the point where your basketball teams can't even play every school in conference play.

And think of the travel cost for Olympic sports. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

On another note, it can no longer be said Judy is the worst commissioner in FBS. 

Sad but true. Judy at least kept CUSA alive. George tanked one of the historic P5 conferences. Good luck finding your next job, bud. 

22 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

The problem for the MWC teams is they would have to pay $32 million if they wanted to play in the PAC in 2024 or $17 million for 2025. With these schools gone no way that Apple will keep the offer on the table.  Maybe they could merge the two and keep the PAC brand? I still would not be surprised to see Stanford go independent. 

Yeah the PAC really screwed themselves with no GoR and all these schools bailing next year. MWC schools can’t afford to join before 2025. I don’t see a fix for this. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Did ASU and Utah cause themselves not to get a full share?

Sound like they may have.  If the PAC is now collapsing, the Big 12 may be able to bring in ASU and Utah for less than if they would have if the PAC was going to survive.  You snooze, you lose.  Hopefully, the AAC isn't snoozing.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Two things to remember about the "who survives, the PAC or the MWC" discussion:

• The PAC is owed a lot of NCAA Tourney credits for the next five years.  
  • The  PAC is granted autonomy status under NCAA rules by name

A merger with the MWC, and they keep the PAC name?

• Upvote 3

Let’s be real, you can talk television deals and money all you want, but this is how it truly went down. 

George Kliavkof: “We have an underwhelming streaming offer from Apple TV and we’ll struggle to make the money the Big12 and Big10 make…and won’t even approach SEC money.   Is everyone still with me??!”

Pac12 Teams:

High Five United GIF by INTO ACTION

George Kliavkof: “Great!  Now we can move forward with expansion…first on the list is SMU…”

Pac12 Teams: 

Tv Land Reaction GIF by #Impastor

• Haha 7