Jared Mosley

wardly

4 minutes ago, wardly said:

There is an excellent article in Sunday's DMN about Jared Mosley and the energy he brings to UNT athletics. It also discusses the challenges he faces, especially financial. North Texas desperately needs to expand its athletic center but has not been able to raise the $20 million needed for the project. In addition, of the 8 public schools in the AAC, we rank last in donations at $2.4 million. We are 7th in ticket revenue at $1.3 million, and only have 1,419 donors to the Mean Green Scholarship fund , ranking behind UTSA,UAB,Charlotte, but 24 donors ahead of Rice. The good news is that Mosley seems to be the right man for the job and given time and support from our administration I would expect him to be successful.

I am 100% behind JM

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1

2 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

As a "former" season ticket holder and Club Level member, I find it interesting that I have never been contacted via mail by anyone from the Athletic Department other than the random student employee making telemarketing phone calls.  Why doesn't Jared send out a letter explaining the needed funding for the AD expansion?  Maybe some donation payment options.  Just saying.

Because fundraising has went away from the little guy, especially for places like UNT. Why waste effort and resources going after 5,000 little guys when you can go after 15 big guys. The 5,000 little guys see and understand that at UNT and choose to keep their wallets closed. Most of the people affiliated with UNT are not fanatics, rather just fans. Places like Bama, Ohio State, OU, UF, LSU, these athletic directors are getting the annual bump from their 25,000 little guys on top of their 1,000 big guy slush fund because places like that operate with actual fanatics. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 6
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Because fundraising has went away from the little guy, especially for places like UNT. Why waste effort and resources going after 5,000 little guys when you can go after 15 big guys. The 5,000 little guys see and understand that at UNT and choose to keep their wallets closed. Most of the people affiliated with UNT are not fanatics, rather just fans. Places like Bama, Ohio State, OU, UF, LSU, these athletic directors are getting the annual bump from their 25,000 little guys on top of their 1,000 big guy slush fund because places like that operate with actual fanatics. 

5000 little guys have friends and families.  They buy at least 5000 hot dogs, cokes and T-shirts at games.  It takes a village of fans to have more fans than just big shots watching games!  

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1

I'd send a letter to all that have been season ticket holders explaining that we have moved up to a better conference; one that will eventually have an annual revenue from media about three or four times the amount that we received when in CUSA.  But, for now, we are nearly last in giving even though we are the second largest university in the conference.  I'd also make sure that all of the ex-lettermen club received pleas to make a donation if they possibly can.  We need more season ticket holders which I seem to recall that JM gave a special deal for season tickets.  Maybe we could have a benefit and publicize the event throughout Denton.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

As a "former" season ticket holder and Club Level member, I find it interesting that I have never been contacted via mail by anyone from the Athletic Department other than the random student employee making telemarketing phone calls.  Why doesn't Jared send out a letter explaining the needed funding for the AD expansion?  Maybe some donation payment options.  Just saying.

I've had season tickets on and off since graduating. I have never once been contacted by anyone in the athletic department about donating. I get the "Get your season tickets now!" e-mails that go out to everyone but never spoken to anyone personally about giving money to the school or athletic programs

Couple that with the general apathy  and lack of student spirit/buy in (Maniacs has been the one outlier), and it's a recipe for long term disaster. As a student, nobody enforces school spirit or athletic support, and then after you graduate, it's more of the same

Instead of "Here's the reasons you should take pride in your alma mater, it's athletic programs, and how to support them both in the immediate and long term" it's: "Hey look we have sports teams!"

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Do letter winners need notification that football season is 5 weeks away ?  Did a former season ticket holder forget how to buy season tickets ?  Do we need to be reminded that North Texas Athletics rely on fan support to survive and receive no state support ?    Fans, I mean real fans step up and buy season tickets and support ($) NT programs.  People that don’t, don’t.  

Don’t blame the school.  You either support ($) NT Athletics or you don’t.

• Upvote 4
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 4

When it was apparent that RV would not continue as AD, I favored Mosley to be his replacement. I was disappointed when Baker was hired (I had never heard of him), but I couldn't believe that shortly afterward Mosley was hired as Assistant AD.  I took the opportunity at two different kickoff events to tell Mosley that he was my first choice back when Baker was first hired. 

I also couldn't believe that the North Texas administration actually made two competent hires in short order. 

Our administration has come a long way from the days of hiring the Bob Tylers and Craig Helwig's of the world. 

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

Do letter winners need notification that football season is 5 weeks away ?  Did a former season ticket holder forget how to buy season tickets ?  Do we need to be reminded that North Texas Athletics rely on fan support to survive and receive no state support ?    Fans, I mean real fans step up and buy season tickets and support ($) NT programs.  People that don’t, don’t.  

Don’t blame the school.  You either support ($) NT Athletics or you don’t.

Well, Historically I can......and I have.     

As I have pointed out an infinite number of times in the past. FUND RAISING was not part of the North Texas culture until the early 70's. 

The Mean Green Club (now called the North Texas Scholarship fund) was started by Hayden Fry when he arrived in 1973.

The North Texas endowment fund did not get established until 1974. 84 years after the school was founded. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, MGNation92 said:

You missed my point completely. It is very much the schools fault

UNT is generally seen and treated as a "low effort, low cost, local option" by the majority of students that attend. It's cheap, it's not particularly prestigious academically (a few program tracks are top notch but the university as a whole is not) and relatively easy to get into, and it's within an hour drive of 8+ million people

Generally speaking, people don't go to UNT for Basketball like they do Kansas, they don't go for Football like Alabama, they don't go for tradition like Texas A&M, they go because it's cheap, close, and easy to get accepted (Seen as a fallback option for many who don't get accepted to their school of choice)

With that perception, and the lack of student buy in because of said perception, it makes athletic support infinitely more difficult. Couple that with UNT's greater administration's lack to encourage/re-enforce these things in an impactful and meaningful way (something like fish camp for Texas A&M) to students and it's no wonder we have low donor numbers.

Throw in decades of losing at revenue sports, and only the diehards are left. The problem is we don't foster an environment to create/encourage diehards in the first place.

I don't know how many active users there are on GMG, but I would guess the numbers pale in comparison to something like TexAgs. 

i wouldnt use internet message boards as barometers for fan support..... 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

Well, Historically I can......and I have.     

As I have pointed out an infinite number of times in the past. FUND RAISING was not part of the North Texas culture until the early 70's. 

The Mean Green Club (now called the North Texas Scholarship fund) was started by Hayden Fry when he arrived in 1973.

The North Texas endowment fund did not get established until 1974. 84 years after the school was founded. 

If after 50 years we haven't established an effective fund raising program , which we haven't , then it may be too late. I was involved in the athletic department[ to the extent that a fan can be] when Rick was AD. I met Baker in the Club Hub , introduced myself, and told him that my dream was that someday the amount of money I donated towards athletics wouldn't warrant a phone call from the athletic director. I never spoke to him again, so mission accomplished.However, I never heard from anyone in the athletic department until recently I didn't renew my club seats. In sales if you are not careful you sometimes treat your new customers better than your existing ones.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, meanJewGreen said:

i wouldnt use internet message boards as barometers for fan support..... 

Sure it's less than ideal, but the point still stands. Diehards are more likely to support financially, and more likely to be interested in following/discussing athletics on places like message boards.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

The university does not do a good job of asking for money, I have had a few phone calls always at the wrong time.  A letter would be a good start, however I would like to see an app that we could donate directly through (no 3rd party BS), see how much is being raised, and other stats.  That way if I am at a UNT event or watching a game, and I get that sudden urge of generosity, I can pull out my phone and make a quick donation in a few seconds.  

OMG! What a great idea! Can you imagine at the end of Mason Fine's (and his very able WR assistants) "drive" against UTSA? My God! The NT fans would have crashed the web-site. It would have been the single largest donation event in North Texas football history!

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

The university does not do a good job of asking for money, I have had a few phone calls always at the wrong time.  A letter would be a good start, however I would like to see an app that we could donate directly through (no 3rd party BS), see how much is being raised, and other stats.  That way if I am at a UNT event or watching a game, and I get that sudden urge of generosity, I can pull out my phone and make a quick donation in a few seconds.  

https://meangreenscholarshipfund.com/waystogive.html

here you go. Donate now

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1