The portal is hurting kids and families

Considering we are a mid major, that means we are right in the middle, hurting from the losses and gaining from the higher tier programs.  Not sure what the end-all gain/loss is for us, though.

EDIT: Oh wait, yes I do know what the end-all gain/loss is for us: an NIT Championship.

BTW, The click bait has leveled up around here, since the addition of a few new regulars the last year.  "hurting kids and families", what is this a tabloid?

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 8
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Once again the impact of the extra COVID year is completely omitted from these type of conversations. 5 classes of college athletes were each granted an extra season of eligibility, and teams did not add extra scholarship spots on their teams. A huge bottleneck was created with players graduating high school but not having a proper departing class to make room. 

Of course not everyone who entered the portal was able to find a home. There was a huge surplus of players both in the portal and not in the portal. But that never seems to be taken into consideration with the portal panic.

This, combined with a lot of kids taking advice from the wrong people, has caused the problem to be magnified. I feel bad for some of those whose coaches pushed them out, but not so much for those who left schools because they felt they were too good to stay or for some of the other crazy reasons that have been mentioned. 

• Upvote 2

kids and families... what about the education side?  with all these transfers, are these student athletes still able to stick to a degree plan and graduate?  I know most credits transfer, but degree plans can differ from school to school.  I am worried that some players may sacrifice their possible educational achievements in order to play ball. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, MrAlien said:

kids and families... what about the education side?  with all these transfers, are these student athletes still able to stick to a degree plan and graduate?  I know most credits transfer, but degree plans can differ from school to school.  I am worried that some players may sacrifice their possible educational achievements in order to play ball. 

This! With schools requiring a minimum number of hours at that school and limits on how many transfer hours they will accept hard to see how this works. Surely schools are not making exceptions for athletes (sarcasm fully intended) 

• Upvote 1

On 7/11/2023 at 7:37 PM, BillySee58 said:

Once again the impact of the extra COVID year is completely omitted from these type of conversations. 5 classes of college athletes were each granted an extra season of eligibility, and teams did not add extra scholarship spots on their teams. A huge bottleneck was created with players graduating high school but not having a proper departing class to make room. 

Of course not everyone who entered the portal was able to find a home. There was a huge surplus of players both in the portal and not in the portal. But that never seems to be taken into consideration with the portal panic.

College sports is going to have a void of talent in a few years when all of the would-be junior and senior classes are small in size due to the limited scholarship opportunities their hs classmates had.

• Skeptical Eagle 1

• Harry unpinned this topic