Has Recruiting Improved Under Morris? Yes

I have always been a big Morris fan and started following him after the positive comments were made by Seth and Graham after we played them. He has proven to be an evaluator of talent and has on field success at WSU with a quick turnaround. Recruiting HS players has fallen off dramatically across college football ranks and will continue to do so. This could be an opportunity for UNT but only if they stick and produce. We will know come signing period and 2 years later. With the NIL monies and the transfer rules  I’m skeptical. I think the twins may be a sign of the future. With success on the field I am more excited on who he can bring in with TP. GMG 

• Upvote 3

Commit means very little these days. If you want to look at improved recruiting vs Traylor you need to look at signees that were offered by Traylor. Everything else is essentially meaningless until signing day. There are still several months left where we could have more major decommits. Only count the hatched chickens.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Commit means very little these days. If you want to look at improved recruiting vs Traylor you need to look at signees that were offered by Traylor. Everything else is essentially meaningless until signing day. There are still several months left where we could have more major decommits. Only count the hatched chickens.

Well the fact Traylor had his whole class signed prior to Eric hiring his first assistant we can just call it 1-0. Taylor Starling. We can revisit in December. 

• Upvote 3

It's a good question and there are many ways to look at it, but we won't really know until the class develops and produces on the field over the next 2-3 seasons.  A lot can happen between now and then and some of that will be completely out of the control of the coaching staff.  Here's how I look at it.

All things being equal, a player being recruited will generally go with the "best" conference or "best" school recruiting him.  Yes, there are exceptions and they are called exceptions for a reason.  It's just human nature to go with what you (or your family/fiends/coaches) think is the best opportunity.  There's a hierarchy (real and perceived) of conferences and programs.  If a player is offered by a MAC school and a B1G school, more often than not, they will go with the B1G school.  Between the Sun Belt and the ACC, they will go with the ACC.  Between CUSA and the AAC, they will go with the AAC.  What I'm suggesting is that by being in a better conference (the best we have been in since returning from the 1-AA desert), our recruiting is naturally going to be better than it has been in the past.  In fact it damn well better be better.  That's almost a given and expected.  The real question is it exceeding the expectations that simply come along with being in arguably the best conference outside of the "P5" conferences and how are we matching up against our conference mates.  Only time will answer these questions.

Edited by keith
  • Upvote 5

I expected more I will be honest. I have no idea what we're offering when it comes to NIL but I would assume that is what's holding us back. I think if we had made the same investment in recruiting staff size about 10 years ago we would have seen the results I thought were possible. I thought Coach O alone would bring in at least 1 very highly rated player based on what I was told about him. I'm not doggin anyone, coaches or commits, I just expected more to this point and that's probably on me for unrealistic expectations. I will say having ten commits with ZERO being OL/DL reminds me of the Dodge days and that's scary. Concerns me we will continue to struggle to recruit high school DL players as we did in the Littrell era.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

18 hours ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

I expected more I will be honest. I have no idea what we're offering when it comes to NIL but I would assume that is what's holding us back. I think if we had made the same investment in recruiting staff size about 10 years ago we would have seen the results I thought were possible. I thought Coach O alone would bring in at least 1 very highly rated player based on what I was told about him. I'm not doggin anyone, coaches or commits, I just expected more to this point and that's probably on me for unrealistic expectations. I will say having ten commits with ZERO being OL/DL reminds me of the Dodge days and that's scary. Concerns me we will continue to struggle to recruit high school DL players as we did in the Littrell era.

DL and QB seem to have always been a challenge. These are the 2 areas we should be spending NIL dollars on transfers.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

Morris got a pass for his first class. The current class has some great players so far, but my problem is with the players we can't get to commit. As long as UTSA is down in San Antonio getting the players we are targeting (QB: Lugo, DL: Robinson, & our former OL: Hurth), our recruiting efforts are failing. Games are won in the trenches, and with quarterback play. Coach O hasn't been able to deliver those players. Something is amiss. JayD, do you know why these players are committing to UTSA instead of UNT?

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2

Following recruiting nowadays is like watching a cat chase a laser pointer. A commit means nothing. A decommit means nothing. A transfer in means nothing. A transfer out means nothing. The more NIL takes a stronghold the less the individual player means something, ironically. We will have who we have on this year's roster. If it's good enough, great. Build another roster for next season that is also good enough. If it's not, change the methods and try again for next seasons roster. Names mean nothing anymore. Just, win. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Following recruiting nowadays is like watching a cat chase a laser pointer. A commit means nothing. A decommit means nothing. A transfer in means nothing. A transfer out means nothing. The more NIL takes a stronghold the less the individual player means something, ironically. We will have who we have on this year's roster. If it's good enough, great. Build another roster for next season that is also good enough. If it's not, change the methods and try again for next seasons roster. Names mean nothing anymore. Just, win. 

I can see your points, but it feels like it discounts how the vast majority of our roster has remained in tact. The transfers/de commits get a lot attention, but to say the individual players mean nothing is a little harsh.  I’m excited for the upcoming season. At the very least, it should be entertaining!  Hopefully we win enough to build some momentum/excitement for the bowl season. 

On 6/30/2023 at 9:23 AM, Side.Show.Joe said:

Morris got a pass for his first class. The current class has some great players so far, but my problem is with the players we can't get to commit. As long as UTSA is down in San Antonio getting the players we are targeting (QB: Lugo, DL: Robinson, & our former OL: Hurth), our recruiting efforts are failing. Games are won in the trenches, and with quarterback play. Coach O hasn't been able to deliver those players. Something is amiss. JayD, do you know why these players are committing to UTSA instead of UNT?

Hurth Hurt. Lugo wasn’t our top QB target. They liked Memphis and Rice QB better. UTSA and Traylor can recruit. Morris is holding his on much better than Seth did against Traylor. But the 2 conference championship rings are the key recruiting message at the moment for UTSA. Look at every picture when kids go on visits to San Antonio the trophies are in the photo. Not to mention playing 6 games a year in 72 degree weather helps. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Hurth Hurt. Lugo wasn’t our top QB target. They liked Memphis and Rice QB better. UTSA and Traylor can recruit. Morris is holding his on much better than Seth did against Traylor. But the 2 conference championship rings are the key recruiting message at the moment for UTSA. Look at every picture when kids go on visits to San Antonio the trophies are in the photo. Not to mention playing 6 games a year in 72 degree weather helps. 

Lugo might end up being really good for UTSA, but he seemed to be more of a run first guy. I wasn't too upset we didn't land him. With the new era of college FB, I wouldn't mind if we take a portal QB every year. I know the staff wants to build Texas HS relationships. I'm all for taking a guy that maybe had an offer from us in HS, then decided to leave the great state and immediately regretted it.

It's been said before, but this will be the first time in years that our QBs actually have a QB coach. For context, I am not bashing Quinn Shanbour.  He was put in a tough spot as a GA/Analyst, and I think he will be a rising star with more coaching experience. 

Edited by jtm0097
  • Upvote 3

13 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Agreed that Morris and crew are fairing better against Taylor than SL.  Wish we had secured Deuce Adams. This position, OT, DL and 1 - 4 ️ (any position) I think would be priority this cycle.