Wednesday at Noon, Hub Club: Joint Press Conferences and NIT Celebration

NT80

6 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

6D6DD447-9B47-4A52-B2F6-6D88FFB065AD.jpeg

I’m not as bothered by this situation as others but “media”?  How many members of the media show up, three or four? 

Feels old way of thinking to me. 

Also “amount of transition” doesn’t sound too good  😬

Edited by meanrob
  • Upvote 5

1 hour ago, meangreenfaninno said:

I agree that they should have done it on a Saturday but they typically don’t like to plan things on Saturday as it can trigger overtime which typically is not included in the budget. 

Overtime for who? Most of the department employees are salaried so I'm not understanding how that would be an issue. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

Two things.

1) Nobody will take this program seriously until this program takes itself seriously.  Winning the NIT may not be winning the NCAA Tournament (or even the same accomplishment that it once was) but it is damn sure the pinnacle of where this program has been.  If we celebrate it on a Wednesday in the middle of a work day, it communicates clearly that it is no big deal.  It certainly doesn’t say “this is worth taking note of.”

2) Which one is it?  Are we a program that needs to grow the fanbase and will use PERFECT opportunities like the celebration of a NIT title to “shake hands” and do so…or are we taking the tried and true North Texas approach?  The sit back and wait for people to come to us strategy has never worked since the days of “if you’re not a member of the Mean Green club, it’s because I haven’t called you or you haven’t called me”

Winning the NIT (a tournament of 11-16 seed quality teams) does not trump winning a conference title and beating Purdue in the NCAA tourney. 2022 might be our best TEAM ever, but the 2021 SEASON was more successful, IMO. 

Edited by UNTcrazy727
  • Upvote 3
  • RV 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 2

In my F&B trainings I tell servers “I want you to speak enthusiastically about your menu. If it sounds like you like your foods and beverages I’m going to be more enthusiastic to order your options, enjoy them, spend more on them. D Magazine said this was a big deal! UNT just won the second most important national basketball tournament in the country. I think LSU would disagree, 2nd or 3rd it’s still a big freaking deal. 

Two things: I love how business-like Jared is. I feel our athletics is safe under his watch. He is not a cheerleader. Hodge May be be amazing and I am excited he is leading us. Unless there is a big personality unleash I am not sure he is a cheerleader. They can’t be Grant. Be yourselves and continue us on this great trajectory.

But we need a Party. The players deserve a round of love from the UNT faithful. The Maniacs deserve another dress up day. With that said we are Denton. Parade takes planning. To Ricks point it’s too late. The super pit would look sad. Have a street party at Eastside. Have a maniacs section. Have a stage the team can raise the trophy on one more time. Bring business to a fan favorite. Have a food truck blowout. Have some local bands play make it a 3-4 hour event on a weekend or Thursday night to get the kids. 

If FC Dallas can sellout almost every game after years of empty stadiums we can improve in this area. They hired a Dallas Mavericks marketer and boom. “This person” needs to be hired for our athletic department. We’ve got the serious boardroom guys hired, ready to go. We need the unreasonable sales guru, cheer leader, fan link, maniacs follower, gomeangreen watcher…the type of person who might even make Jared a little squishy. 

Lastly, make the banner night something amazing to remember forever, until we get Big Dance banners ordered. A save the date please like a wedding invite.  I and many need to drop this into a calendar and schedule around it. 

GMG

• Upvote 7

19 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Winning the NIT (a tournament of 11-16 seed quality teams) does not trump winning a conference title and beating Purdue in the NCAA tourney. 2022 might be our best TEAM ever, but the 2020 SEASON was more successful, IMO. 

I believe the accomplishments are roughly equal.  Winning four games in four days including defeating WKU (a historical nemesis) in overtime and then taking out a top 15-20 ranked Purdue in the NCAA Tournament (again in OT) is tremendous and won't be forgotten.   

We had a better regular season this year in a better CUSA.  We also won five straight postseason games, one on the road at a Power League team (a former NCAA Champion at that), two on a neutral site (with one against a Power league school with two Final Fours in the last decade or so) and another avenging a loss that knocked us out of our Conference Tournament.   

Again, I feel like the two accomplishments are roughly equal.  The 2021 team was on the bigger stage, but I think this was the tougher task.  I give a slight edge to this year's team and season.

339293398_3300950316824566_7590192775820

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 4

I’m confused, is this celebration supposed to be for the basketball team or the few fans on this board that show up? Some of you seem to be taking this personally. Jared is right, media exposure is important to the future. Celebrating the NIT title while introducing our coaches is a great idea because they are tied together in the storyline. Random Wednesday means we have a better shot of getting in front of the eyes that will be watching sportscenter and the like that evening. The stories you don’t want spread are what you release on a weekend. 

• Upvote 5
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 3

2 hours ago, meanrob said:

I’m not as bothered by this situation as others but “media”?  How many members of the media show up, three or four? 

How many chairs does Vito need?

Seriously, NT needs to up it's Media game moving to the AAC.   Any DFW networks coming??   

Winning the NIT is a big deal.  We need to act like we appreciate it, and show media it's a valued title!

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, meanrob said:

Let’s see…. What would draw more media attention?

A big celebration?  
Or, a presser to introduce a WBB coach & a coach that is being promoted, so we already know him?

It just reeks of “convenience”.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1

55 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

hearing transfer portal could be busy next few days. Another reason the parade was cancelled. 

Hearing this, IMO makes sense; then again, some here seem to celebrate players who transfer away more than they appreciate those who stay.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 1

4 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I’m confused, is this celebration supposed to be for the basketball team or the few fans on this board that show up? Some of you seem to be taking this personally. Jared is right, media exposure is important to the future. Celebrating the NIT title while introducing our coaches is a great idea because they are tied together in the storyline. Random Wednesday means we have a better shot of getting in front of the eyes that will be watching sportscenter and the like that evening. The stories you don’t want spread are what you release on a weekend. 

Yeah might as well stay in CUSA and play on Tuesdays too. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

14 hours ago, CMJ said:

I believe the accomplishments are roughly equal.  Winning four games in four days including defeating WKU (a historical nemesis) in overtime and then taking out a top 15-20 ranked Purdue in the NCAA Tournament (again in OT) is tremendous and won't be forgotten.   

We had a better regular season this year in a better CUSA.  We also won five straight postseason games, one on the road at a Power League team (a former NCAA Champion at that), two on a neutral site (with one against a Power league school with two Final Fours in the last decade or so) and another avenging a loss that knocked us out of our Conference Tournament.   

Again, I feel like the two accomplishments are roughly equal.  The 2021 team was on the bigger stage, but I think this was the tougher task.  I give a slight edge to this year's team and season.

339293398_3300950316824566_7590192775820

I understand what you're saying, but every team starts the season with the goal to win their conference and make it to the NCAA Tournament. The 2021 team accomplished both and even gave us our first NCAA win. Winning the consolation tournament doesn't surpass those accomplishments, IMO. 

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

52 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I understand what you're saying, but every team starts the season with the goal to win their conference and make it to the NCAA Tournament. The 2021 team accomplished both and even gave us our first NCAA win. Winning the consolation tournament doesn't surpass those accomplishments, IMO. 

Would you say it passes the 2007 and 2010 teams who won their league and made the tournament, but didn't advance past the Round of 64?  After all, those teams did accomplish the goals of being conference champion and making the Dance.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, CMJ said:

Would you say it passes the 2007 and 2010 teams who won their league and made the tournament, but didn't advance past the Round of 64?  After all, those teams did accomplish the goals of being conference champion and making the Dance.

Probably. Those team played in a much worse league and were dispatched rather easily in the NCAA Tournament. I think once you win a NCAA Tournament game it trumps anything you can do in the NIT.

Regarding conference strength 2021 vs 2023:  You can argue CUSA was better top to bottom in 2021. This year it was better at the top, but there was a severe drop off. In 2021 there were 8 teams above .500 in conference. This year there were only 4. I don't think this year's team wins 31 games if they played our 2021 conference schedule. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1