Who will Replace SMU in the AAC?

Clinetort

You guys are all assuming that SMU will be unable to renig on their commitment to join the imploding Pac 12.

Are any of you Seinfeld fans? Remember when George told off everybody at his office because he has going elsewhere?

"You're all losers, and I have better places to go!" and "You're only here because they knew they couldn't keep Me!"

Then he came crawling back into the office with his tail between his legs trying to pretend that nothing had ever happened.

That's their plan.

Well, they sure wanted to play hardball with the AAC entrance and exit fees when other people's money was being spent.

Now, it's their turn to live by the guidelines they set.

In reality, they'll be back without penalty because most other colleges abide by a code of honor. Until that moment though, they will spend every second trying every sneaky little trick to get any central time schools to join their new SDSU, WSU, OSU, and Boise conference.

They just can't say "Wow, that sure didn't work out" and come back.

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 6

SMU isn't a big fish, but the loss will require the AAC to add another member or risk having their media deal restructured to a lower amount. No way ESPN just will let the money stay the same.

Army should be target #1. They are a national brand and add a New York market. That has value and would probably increase the AAC's current media deal. 

Air Force would be target #2. They're also a national brand, but without a bigtime market. And still more valuable than SMU. The MWC is in a weakened position with the imminent departure of SDSU. Their media deal will be taking a haircut too, unless they can find a replacement CBS Sports finds acceptable. But they have zero good replacement options.

Target #3 is probably Boise State. They have a special deal with the MWC, and wouldn't get any special treatment from the AAC. But with the MWC's quality diminishing, they could view the AAC as the last life raft off the SS MWC.

Of course it is also possible that all three seek invitations to the AAC and conference balloons to 18 programs. ESPN would certainly bump up the payout for that, and the AAC would certainly solidify their position as the top G5 conference. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

Of course it is also possible that all three seek invitations to the AAC and conference balloons to 18 programs. ESPN would certainly bump up the payout for that, and the AAC would certainly solidify their position as the top G5 conference. 

I don't expect MWC schools to consider an AAC invite initially while the PAC is still searching for replacements.  The PAC name has value, even if it is devalued, until it implodes completely   The AAC may eventually get some MWC schools but I would start with Army to pair with Navy.

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I know some might not agree, but I would not mind seeing Texas State. They have similarities to UNT. Both are close to large market areas that have teams with arrogant and obnoxious fan bases. I still think the American's first choice will be Army.

No, I’m not feeling Texas State at all.  Much rather prefer Army.  If we allow Texas State in they will be competing with us for recruits .

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I know some might not agree, but I would not mind seeing Texas State. They have similarities to UNT. Both are close to large market areas that have teams with arrogant and obnoxious fan bases. I still think the American's first choice will be Army.

Why would you want to elevate a program that is relatively close and going after the same recruits?

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, GrandGreen said:

Why would you want to elevate a program that is relatively close and going after the same recruits?

I first and foremost support UNT, but I am a fan of college football. I'm not against G5 and FCS programs trying to improve. We should not be counting on others not doing well, but for us to keep improving. 

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

41 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I first and foremost support UNT, but I am a fan of college football. I'm not against G5 and FCS programs trying to improve. We should not be counting on others not doing well, but for us to keep improving. 

I am also a fan of college football, but my primary concern is NT.  Athletics is based on winning and that involves being better than your competition.  They generally don't give out participation medals in college sports.   

I am certainly not against, and it would not matter if I was, any team improving their program.   However, poor sport as I am, I don't see any upside for NT by having a recruiting rival get stronger.  I rather have UTEP advance to the AAC than SWTS.  

• Upvote 2

Dark Horse candidate:  Northern Illinois.

Big school in a huge metro area.  The Huskies have made a nationally-relevant run within the past decade, and are more than capable of doing it again.

Expands AAC’s footprint, yet Chicago is easily accessible via cheap flights (From DFW, it costs more to fly to Nashville to play MT than to fly to Chicago).

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 3

Who will replace the stature and presence of SMU in the AAC? UT-Arlington could if it revived football and asked students to wear popped collars and douchebro shades to games. They even have a horse mascot.

Edited by rcade
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

The AAC Comish already has the market down by SA locked up....... TSU is down the list to replace Smut.

Feel certain he knew Smut's arrogance about conference membership that they would hate and would buy their way into another conference. I bet he's ready to make the move when Smut does.

• Upvote 1

On 2/9/2023 at 12:35 AM, ForneyGreen said:

If Air Force or Colorado State petitioned to join, I'm sure they would get serious consideration. 

Air Force in particular makes a ton of sense with Navy already in the conference.  Air Force vs Navy conference game potentially frees up non-conference game slots for both of them.  Also gives me a reason to make Navy vs Air Force appointment TV when it doesn’t conflict with watching/attending a Mean Green game.  And trips to Colorado in early fall are beautiful.  

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

Air Force in particular makes a ton of sense with Navy already in the conference.  Air Force vs Navy conference game potentially frees up non-conference game slots for both of them.  Also gives me a reason to make Navy vs Air Force appointment TV when it doesn’t conflict with watching/attending a Mean Green game.  And trips to Colorado in early fall are beautiful.  

Colorado is too far a drive.  I like the idea of Aur Force a lot though.  Also what conference is Army in?  They could be interested.

• Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

14 minutes ago, GreenEggs&Ham™ said:

IMO...If SMU leaves....add (ranked):

1. Army

or

2. Air Force

or

3. MTSU -Nashville market.

or add all 3.

First, I trust Mike Aresco to make the right move. Also, I don't fault SMU and I would bet if we had the chance we would take it. If you look at what he did that brought us (CUSA 6) in.

• Rice and UNT to have the presence in the markets shared with Houston and SMU (SMU's desire to move on has not been a secret and they have deep pocket donors who are giving). UTSA opens access to probably the largest market with no P5 team. At the same time he has basically kicked CUSA out of the DFW/Houston/SA markets and kept the MWC from coming in.
  • UAB and Charlotte are in growing markets. FAU - Miami market. How can you screw that up unless, I guess you are FIU.

It would seem that Army would be the first call. Are teams from the MWC willing to wait and see if the PAC 4 (Cal, Stanford, SDSU, and SMU) absorb the MWC (Technically the PAC stays a P5 conference, like the WAC technically has an FBS charter). If you look at similar market access you have Georgia State (Atlanta), Texas State (Austin), and as mentioned earlier Northern Illinois (Chicago); although there was no mentioning that he looked at MAC teams last time. And before you look down on those schools a lot of people questioned most of the CUSA teams moving.

If you look at a map, is there a good fit closer to Tulane? If one of Aresco's strategies was to keep the MWC out of Texas does he think looking at Texas State might be in their future plans? So, if it's not Army does Aresco keep the same footprint, or in a different direction?

image.png.0bf4f4020a260c34279443ad183ecaf0.png

On 2/10/2023 at 7:33 PM, NT80 said:

I don't expect MWC schools to consider an AAC invite initially while the PAC is still searching for replacements.  The PAC name has value, even if it is devalued, until it implodes completely. The AAC may eventually get some MWC schools but I would start with Army to pair with Navy.

I agree. But I don't think SMU (and whatever combination of MWC schools) actually get invitations until after the Big12 has made their move. With no combination that can save their desire for a true P5 media deal, what's left of the PAC will probably not want to over-expand, but instead keep the number to 9 or 10 in an attempt to maintain as much of their quality as possible. So, the two MWC options I named could both be on the table for the AAC.

11 minutes ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

I agree. But I don't think SMU (and whatever combination of MWC schools) actually get invitations until after the Big12 has made their move. With no combination that can save their desire for a true P5 media deal, what's left of the PAC will probably not want to over-expand, but instead keep the number to 9 or 10 in an attempt to maintain as much of their quality as possible. So, the two MWC options I named could both be on the table for the AAC.

This brings up the question:  when does a P5 conference lose it's P5 status?   If over half a P5 conference is replaced with G5 schools is it still considered a P5 conference?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, NT80 said:

This brings up the question:  when does a P5 conference lose it's P5 status?   If over half a P5 conference is replaced with G5 schools is it still considered a P5 conference?

I thought about that too. The PAC is one of the Autonomous 5, and I don't think the others can or would revoke that distinction. The P5 label will fade as we begin the era of the 12-team playoff, where the top 6 conference champs earn auto-bids. 

• Upvote 3