Breaking: DeShawn Gaddie enters Portal.

TheReal_jayD

1 minute ago, Venson said:

No we shouldn't apologize nor should they if they sign one of our kids, but at the same time, I don't expect them to wish them well either. I can see them being pissed about it and rightfully so after they spent time developing him.

Could not have said it better. Every kid is a different situation. The timing on this one seems a little strange. If he enrolls in another school this week it will be very suspicious. 

• Upvote 3
  • Ray 1

2 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

My main point on telling players how you feel, not that they should care, is the seemingly required "wish you well". Truthfully, while every situation is different and their attitudes towards UNT, and comments they make can make a difference. I don't wish everyone more success when they leave UNT. Not that I want to see thm get hurt, but if they don't perform well that's OK with me.

I think I see your point, but I disagree. I want the best for each player that comes through here. Now, I’m not hoping for career highs should we play against them, but I definitely want them to succeed. 

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 4

2 minutes ago, Glory to the Green said:

I think I see your point, but I disagree. I want the best for each player that comes through here. Now, I’m not hoping for career highs should we play against them, but I definitely want them to succeed. 

The nice thing is we can agree to disagree. Doesn't make me right and you wrong, or vice versa, just means we have different opinions. 

• Upvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

3 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

The nice thing is we can agree to disagree. Doesn't make me right and you wrong, or vice versa, just means we have different opinions. 

Right. I see your side, I just don’t agree with it.  Like another poster stated, he may come back. We’ll see. Just hoping that if he leaves, we find some talent to take his place.  Since he also seemed like a vocal leader, his departure opens up another opportunity for someone else to step it up in the locker room. This off season has definitely not been dull so far. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

If he announces a destination within the next 24 hrs = tampering. 

What's the NCAA going to do about it? 

Tony Soprano Nothing GIF

What's tampering in the age of social media?  Let's say some coach starts following a bunch of players at various positions and then a few days later puts out a generic tweet asking who's going to be the one to complete the puzzle.  Would that be tampering?  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

So is he "unenrolled"? Hopefully UNT is not paying for this semester.

Enjoyed the eyeroll above without the spine to explain why?

Why? He completed the full season of obligation to his sport this academic school year. Should fall sport athletes only be guaranteed a semester of scholarship while spring sport athletes get a full year? 

• Upvote 5
  • RV 1

15 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Why? He completed the full season of obligation to his sport this academic school year. Should fall sport athletes only be guaranteed a semester of scholarship while spring sport athletes get a full year? 

IMO, you finish the semester you are in, but the following semester shouldn't be covered. If they do pay for it it's their call. 

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 1

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Sorry, I know this is might not be the "correct" thing to say, but it is getting harder to wish players well in cases like this. UNT works with him to develop him and then he leaves. Before some of you jump in, yes I know he has every right. But I think you are going to start seeing more fans letting players know how they feel about their performances. As they say, changes happen, but if players want to be paid, maybe they should be open game for fan comments.

Preach on brother!  Agree.  These players, in some cases, my be leaving for money, or the chance to play for a P5.  Either way, I don't like it one bit.  I certainly won't follow Gaddy's career any time soon.

I say, "Bah fahn culla"!

• Thanks 2
  • RV 1
  • Confused 2
  • Eye Roll 1

31 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

IMO, you finish the semester you are in, but the following semester shouldn't be covered. If they do pay for it it's their call. 

But why should a fall athlete who enters the portal after the season only get one semester of the school year covered while a basketball player who enters the portal after the season gets both semesters covered? Both players fulfilled the same obligation to the lie sport for the academic school year in question.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

I agree a football player should be given a full academic year, including the spring semester "after" their eligibility has expired. 

But if he still has sport eligibility left, and enters the transfer portal, he should be treated as opting-out of his remaining scholarship, including the upcoming semester.

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

He played 4 years here and there was a coaching change. If not for COVID he would’ve finished his career here.

Also, if we want to talk about being subject to grown up treatment, let’s say you were hired by someone at a company and worked for them for 4 years, then they got fired, and then you decided to leave too. What if everyone at your company was bad mouthing/cold shouldering you on your way out?

Knowing you gave your company your best foot forward and decided to leave based on factors out of your control, what would be the lasting taste in your mouth on the company? How would that reflect on the company and your likelihood to recommend the company to others? 

Everyone acting like the players leaving deserve some less than favorable treatment aren’t exactly protecting their school in the way they think they are. I’d say the opposite, in fact.

This is not the same because we are not part of the company. The players and coaches are part of the company. We are customers of the company. If the players and coaches are bad mouthing him, then I see your point. However, if the customers are upset that one of the best employees leaves, then we have the right to be a little salty because we are the ones paying for the product that the company produces. Especially if we have money invested in that company.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

People complain that the kids today don't want to put in the work or don't have a work ethic meanwhile this kid busted his ass and put in the work to possibly have a better opportunity and those same keyboard warriors complain about it. The irony is fantastic.

As UNTLifer said (paraphrasing), the timing ain't great but the coaches need to roll up their sleeves and find a replacement(s). 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

He played 4 years here and there was a coaching change. If not for COVID he would’ve finished his career here.

Also, if we want to talk about being subject to grown up treatment, let’s say you were hired by someone at a company and worked for them for 4 years, then they got fired, and then you decided to leave too. What if everyone at your company was bad mouthing/cold shouldering you on your way out?

Knowing you gave your company your best foot forward and decided to leave based on factors out of your control, what would be the lasting taste in your mouth on the company? How would that reflect on the company and your likelihood to recommend the company to others? 

Everyone acting like the players leaving deserve some less than favorable treatment aren’t exactly protecting their school in the way they think they are. I’d say the opposite, in fact.

When do we get past this extra Covid year stuff?  I think this extra year along with the transfer portal has created a lot of what we are seeing.  In the case here, I believe he was class of 2019.  Under normal circumstances he would have 5 years to play 4.  I believe under the Covid-rule, affected players get an extra year...6 years to play 5?  He says in his tweet he says he has 2 years of eligibility remaining.  That gives us 2019 (1), 2020 (2), 2021 (3), 2022 (4), 2023 (5).  He must have redshirted in 2019 and 2023 would have been (pre-Covid rule) his 5th year to play his 4th.  So, he was here for 4 years, but he only played 3.  That means he has 2023 (5) and 2024(6) as his 5th and Covid 6th year to play his normal 4th and Covid 5th.  Yikes.

If it was anyone that was around in 2020 gets 6 to play 5, then to answer my own question, there's 2 more years of this. Class of 2019 has eligibility out to 2024 and class of 2020 has eligibility out to 2025.  Assuming they have not exhausted eligibility, 2019 can transfer to play in 2024 for one year and 2020 can transfer in to play 2024 for 2 years or in 2025 for 1 year.  Does the class that entered in 2021 go back to the normal 5 years to play 4?

Preach on brother! Hey just because some of us gray haired dudes can't figure out this NIL thing doesn't mean we shouldn't wish those who can make it work any less than the best. Besides, I have faith in our current coaching staff to infill. Isn't our new DC some kind of cornerback whisperer?

And hey, the College of Music has been working with this whole semi professional thing far longer than the Athletic Department. And honestly, if College of Visual Arts sculpture and ceramics students haven't figured out marketing well before they leave Denton, they should be questioned as to what they're going to do with all their projects.

Real question, do we really believe in the free market, or only when it benefits us directly and immediately?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

42 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

But why should a fall athlete who enters the portal after the season only get one semester of the school year covered while a basketball player who enters the portal after the season gets both semesters covered? Both players fulfilled the same obligation to the lie sport for the academic school year in question.

Using the academic school year logic, does that mean a fall sports player should not be able to transfer at mid-year and start practicing with his new team until the end of the academic year?

30 minutes ago, meanrob said:

People complain that the kids today don't want to put in the work or don't have a work ethic meanwhile this kid busted his ass and put in the work to possibly have a better opportunity and those same keyboard warriors complain about it. The irony is fantastic.

As UNTLifer said (paraphrasing), the timing ain't great but the coaches need to roll up their sleeves and find a replacement(s). 

My biggest problem is there is no longer a sense of loyalty and pride for the University that furnished you with a scholarship/education to begin with.  It's all about following the money trail.  Forget the education.

Sorry.  I'm just old school, finding it hard to adjust to today's college football environment.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1