DRC: UNT offseason questions series No. 1 -- Can UNT compete right away in the American?

Brett Vito

8 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Sure NT can compete in the  AAC.  I don't think anyone sees a championship team, and unfortunately I think SMU with all their NIL contributions will dominate the league.  

There may be other league teams that can compete buying players with SMU, but I doubt it.  

If SMU is going to dominate the NIL like you stated how would we be competitive?  Seems to contradict.

• Downvote 1

Will they compete right away? NO!  I dont think the football program has properly prepared for next season, they are just now getting staff personal in place and haven't made any major improvements in the transfer window.  Next year is a throw away season, and looking at the conference schedule, UNT might get 1 win. 

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, cousin oliver said:

If SMU is going to dominate the NIL like you stated how would we be competitive?  Seems to contradict.

Not contradictory at  all.  NT can compete with most conference mates and play close games and not be competitive against one team (SMU).

I do hope I am wrong, but I think NIL is the most anti-competition factor ever in college sports.  Whose fans have and are willing to pay the most for players overrides good coaching, ability to recruit, academics and any other factors for success.

Citing SMU because they will be in the AAC.  However, they too will suffer against the really deep pocket teams like UT, OU, GA, etc.  

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1

Tulane is going to be good again next year with Pratt back as QB.  I fully expect them to be the early favorite to win the conference.  I could also see UTSA making some noise and getting some preseason #1 votes.

We'll see how SMU rounds out the roster in the portal.  Right now its a top five transfer class and potentially could be #1 or #2 if we land a couple of whales that we're heavily in the mix to land.  Big unknown at QB and a totally revamped defense through NIL/portal.  If we're anything less than 9-3 and playing in the AAC title game it should be seen as a disappointment.

• Upvote 1