Louisiana Tech (1/11/23)

CMJ

The line on this game was NT -9.5.  The first half bears that out.  We have become a first half team.  If an opponent can hang on during the first, we tend to fold in the second.  Our defense is stellar early and we coast, hopefully, to a win.  Maybe our legs get tired late.  Perhaps start the second team second half and bring the varsity back to close things out.  

• Downvote 2

Just now, greenjoe said:

The line on this game was NT -9.5.  The first half bears that out.  We have become a first half team.  If an opponent can hang on during the first, we tend to fold in the second.  Our defense is stellar early and we coast, hopefully, to a win.  Maybe our legs get tired late.  Perhaps start the second team second half and bring the varsity back to close things out.  

Did you not watch the MTSU game and others, where defense locked down after an average 1st half?

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, kj86 said:

All of the above.  Let them in any way the want...app, physical ticket, student ID, wink and a smile.  Students shouldn't have to even think about what they might need to get into the place.

Correct, just make it easy at the last minute to decide to walk over after dinner or whatever. We need them all..

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTFan23 said:

Why not just reduce the ticket price 75% and call it a day? Also, if we're going to do that for every remaining game this season, should it still be considered a promotion?

It probably has to be considered a promotion because of the people who bought season tickets and single game tickets in advance. I bought season tickets and don't care if we lower the price now but some others might. I just want to see people in the seats. 

1 hour ago, greenjoe said:

Define fold.  We've lost one game since November.

Even in our loss against FAU the two teams scored the exact same amount in the second half.  Before the last four minutes we actually controlled the second half....that advantage was entirely in the first sixteen minutes of the half.  At the break the Owls were up two.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, CMJ said:

Before the last four minutes we actually controlled the second half....that advantage was entirely in the first sixteen minutes of the half.  At the break the Owls were up two.

And what occurred around that time?  Abou fouled and and Perry left with a calf injury.

• Upvote 1

Other ticket promo ideas:

Partner with a local Denton business, offer some kind of deal where you get something from your new partner if they have a game tickdt.  For example, take your ticket to B&Ms and get a small ice cream.  Or, the other way around: show proof of purchase from the local business to the ticket office, and get one ticket to the MBB game.

Or maybe make the UNT ticket good for entrance to another local sports game.  Partner with the Mavs or the Rangers.  Or have UNT honor a Stars ticket as a free pass to a UNT game.

...I like these partnership deals.  Continue to try and reach out and engage Denton and beyond.

8 hours ago, greenjoe said:

Against the MUTS we were down 6 at half after after having climbed up to that.  I'm sure our coaches made adjustments and offered inspiration at half.   

Against La Tech we up by 18 at half.  I doubt we made many adjustments nor needed inspiration.  I do think we relaxed and were coasting in the second half, instead of staying hungry.   Hopefully it was another learning experience for them!!

1 hour ago, CMJ said:

Top 10 teams can also nearly blow big 18 point leads as this writeup from a week ago says.  Just matters that you get the W.

https://www.si.com/college/ucla/mens-basketball/ucla-mens-basketball-escapes-with-tight-win-over-crosstown-rival-usc

Very valid point.  I don’t always agree but you have some vision of things.

• Eye Roll 1

15 hours ago, Shark84 said:

It probably has to be considered a promotion because of the people who bought season tickets and single game tickets in advance. I bought season tickets and don't care if we lower the price now but some others might. I just want to see people in the seats. 

Of course others might because they're mentally weak and only care for themselves. 

Also, since we're talking about seats, whoever you are in section 118 row 3... I was observing this scenario from like row 9. A fella had someone in his seat (let us not forget about the thousands of open seats, 4 or 5 on row 3 to boot) and he beta moved it and got the usher to have the person removed while he lingered around in the shadows until they were gone to get his seat back. 

Advice: "Hey man, you're in my seat." 

Soft. Soft. Soft. Soft. Soft. Soft. 

• Upvote 3

It’s a culture thing. The average North Texas person is not a basketball fan first. 

I mean when I was a student I lived at Maple and I rounded up like 10 people to go to the game. They had no idea 1) there was a game 2) it was free and 3) where the game would take place. 

It has always been that way with hoops in Texas. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, aztecskin said:

It’s a culture thing. The average North Texas person is not a basketball fan first. 

I mean when I was a student I lived at Maple and I rounded up like 10 people to go to the game. They had no idea 1) there was a game 2) it was free and 3) where the game would take place. 

It has always been that way with hoops in Texas. 

That is where the AD has to step in.  Market to the students, engage them, educate them, etc.  Offer a basketball camp with the coaches, similar as to what has been done with football in the past, to educate them on the game, what to look for, etc.  The three things you listed are easily overcome with minimal effort.

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

That is where the AD has to step in.  Market to the students, engage them, educate them, etc.  Offer a basketball camp with the coaches, similar as to what has been done with football in the past, to educate them on the game, what to look for, etc.  The three things you listed are easily overcome with minimal effort.

I got excited about UNT basketball because my orientation group leader talked up this one-and-done transfer that was expected to go to the NBA, Tony Mitchell, and talked up the basketball program as a whole. I don't know how much of that goes on overall, though. Would be nice if they'd do a bit more to get incoming students excited. Maybe raffles for both football and basketball jerseys each orientation session and a makeshift tailgate at the hill for one of the meals. I recall part of my orientation being at the Super Pit but I don't recall the basketball hype video being played and I think that would be good to add. Can't do everything but if you're already feeding the incoming freshmen and already doing stuff at the Super Pit, why not add in showing the hype video and doing a meal at the tailgate hill. A raffle is also easy to conduct.

Wonder what orientation looks like these days...