Gabe Brooks/David Smoak Segment About UNT Job

jtm0097

16 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Here’s how this seems to go with UNT coaches recruiting DFW, especially Denton County:

New UNT Coach: “Alright, time to build relationships with these local coaches at these great programs and get top recruits!”

DFW HS Coach: “Hey coach! I want to make sure every player of mine worthwhile goes to a P5 even if it’s their only P5 offer and they’re going to ride the bench there. But hey, will you please offer my FCS/D2 level players?”

New UNT Coach: “Ummm we will consider it.”

DFW HS Coach: “Man, I don’t really like that UNT Coach.”

Mccarney ended up having more success in East Texas and Littrell really pulled some impressive Houston area recruits. Hopefully the new coach can be the one to make it a cool destination for local recruits, but it doesn’t come easily as overrecruited as this area is.

This is 100% on target. 
Regarding Dodge, it was one hell of a hire and then we set him up to fail by not telling him he couldn’t bring the entire SLC staff with him. Then again, his ego probably said if they can’t come, I won’t either. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Just now, UNTLifer said:

This is 100% on target. 
Regarding Dodge, it was one hell of a hire and then we set him up to fail by not telling him he couldn’t bring the entire SLC staff with him. Then again, his ego probably said if they can’t come, I won’t either. 

I always assumed that was the case.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Green Dozer said:

FWIW, Mac said the same thing when he was here about relationships with the high school coache.  Said many were not interested in North Texas and wouldn’t give him the time of day.

Look who showed back up on the board. Good to have you back posting. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

26 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Here’s how this seems to go with UNT coaches recruiting DFW, especially Denton County:

New UNT Coach: “Alright, time to build relationships with these local coaches at these great programs and get top recruits!”

DFW HS Coach: “Hey coach! I want to make sure every player of mine worthwhile goes to a P5 even if it’s their only P5 offer and they’re going to ride the bench there. But hey, will you please offer my FCS/D2 level players?”

Mccarney ended up having more success in East Texas and Littrell really pulled some impressive Houston area recruits. Hopefully the new coach can be the one to make it a cool destination for local recruits, but it doesn’t come easily as overrecruited as this area is.

If we want to own east Texas again there is nobody better at kicking over rocks than Carthel. That man knows every town and diner within a 200 mile radius.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

If we want to own east Texas again there is nobody better at kicking over rocks than Carthel. That man knows every town and diner within a 200 mile radius.

Hell if we can swing it I would LOVE to bring in KC Keeler and Carthel on the same staff!  Keeler for the first 5 years establishing a strong hierarchy and culture.   Keeler retires in 5-6 years (or becomes AD after the younger hot AD that replaces Wren moves on) Cathel steps in to keep the momentum going and establishes a dynasty.  

• Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, MeanGreen13 said:

This is exactly what I think happens. Coaches are entitled as hell and think so little of UNT that they think we should beg for their 2nd tier talent. 

To many who didn’t go to UNT, all we are is a school that’s a chance for a kid to get ask FBS scholarship. For the most part, they want to be the coach that got as many kids signed to P5 schools as possible. They know it looks better to say they got a kid signed by TCU or Texas Tech than it does to say they got one signed to North Texas.

And many coaches are in it for the right reasons. I’m not talking about those guys.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

To many who didn’t go to UNT, all we are is a school that’s a chance for a kid to get ask FBS scholarship. For the most part, they want to be the coach that got as many kids signed to P5 schools as possible. They know it looks better to say they got a kid signed by TCU or Texas Tech than it does to say they got one signed to North Texas.

And many coaches are in it for the right reasons. I’m not talking about those guys.

hopefully the AAC move dilutes some of this.

59 minutes ago, meangreanmick said:

One of my closest lifelong friends is a long time HS coach in the metroplex, has won state championships at 5a/6a.   I can tell you for sure that while that may happen, that hasn’t been the main issue.   His comments have been fairly consistent thru the years at the various schools he has been at, and across many of our coaches - “they don’t really spend any time at our school like the other colleges do”’ and “ UNT coaches come in very cocky and don’t give us the time of day”.     This is from a coach that has discussed his players with Saban several times.

i don’t know if we just don’t have the resources and funds to cover sufficiently, or our coaches have red headed step child syndrome and think they need to act cocky to the high school coaches or what.  Probably both, and we need to get it fixed.

I’m wondering what school your coach friend considers a good relationship with. Reading some of Carthels (sfa) info  not only has sfa excelled in fcs recruiting but last year he lost a DC and 5 position coaches to La tech and TCU   There are also 2 grad assistants from “the Carthel tree” on TCU staff looks like the sfa coach that recruits the dfw area is their dline coach Faske. See what kind of relationship he has with your guy. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, TalonsUp said:

I’m wondering what school your coach friend considers a good relationship with. Reading some of Carthels (sfa) info  not only has sfa excelled in fcs recruiting but last year he lost a DC and 5 position coaches to La tech and TCU   There are also 2 grad assistants from “the Carthel tree” on TCU staff looks like the sfa coach that recruits the dfw area is their dline coach Faske. See what kind of relationship he has with your guy. 

I don't get why Carthel is not getting more serious consideration.  What he's done for SFA in terms of leadership is truly phenomenal.  He's also a good christian man to boot.  Good role model.

• Upvote 6
  • RV 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 2

3 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Yes, you are correct a lot of the negative thing from high school coaches is due to NT's lack of interest in their players that no other D1 programs had any interest in ether.   

Probably NT could have more delopmatic about these situations, but after pimping their best kids to other schools than they expected NT to be happy with their lightly sought players. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

In my scenario I want to emphasize that the main point is there are two sides to these stories, and when there is a large disconnect that’s where we start to divert our attention elsewhere.

I’m sure many HS coaches feel like we are being cocky for not offering their FCS level talent, and they think we’re being too good because their expectations of what caliber players UNT should be recruiting doesn’t align with the caliber players that UNT coaches want from that school. When there is that disconnect, it honestly makes sense for us to not be showing up in those schools as much as others.

On the flip side, if Saban comes into town, every coach in the state is rolling out the red carpet for him and they’re going to try and sell their top players to him, unlike they would with a UNT Coach. I’ve heard these conversations before of HS coaches saying “oh, yeah Baylor/Colorado/etc. already offered him” as a way of telling the G5 coach he’s not worth your time. Meanwhile, we don’t want those type of kids to be off limits. We can and have been signing those type of recruits every year, even if it’s after those offers dry up. 

All very fair points. 

When  I  talking to him its usually about true D1 kids.  For example, last season they had a running back that ended up in P5 pretty far away  but before that happened they tried to get UNT to talk to him - his family doesn’t have alot of money are very close proximity to Denton - those are more of the situations I’m talking about.   I think UNTs response was, we are set at RB.   But I sat with him and watched that kid as a freshman playing a major role this season - so you would think we could make a spot for that kind of talent.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TalonsUp said:

He is just comparing UNT to other D1 schools in Texas and nearby.  Schools like Alabama and Texas don’t have to have relationships (my words not his) HS coaches always bend over backwards for them - so it’s more comparing to SMU, Houston, UTSA, La Tech, etc.

His basic point is, you would think UNT would be working harder at recruiting and building relationships than their peers and the schools we aspire to be, but his experience has always been the opposite.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Coach Bill Lewis said:

I don't get why Carthel is not getting more serious consideration.  What he's done for SFA in terms of leadership is truly phenomenal.  He's also a good christian man to boot.  Good role model.

Sorry to offend probably everyone on this board, but I steer clear when I hear something like this. People who lead with this, or “god fearing” usually are full of s*** .

We’re not liberty. 

• Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 3
  • Confused 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 8

11 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

This is 100% on target. 

I've seen this mischaracterization about him on here over & over...    I really don't think he had a huge ego at all.  He was always very down to Earth any time I saw him out & about, and in interviews.  There have been numerous reports that Dodge wanted to have collegiate staff hired with him, but budget would not allow it, so he brought most of his SLC staff with him.

People say he had an ego because he remained confident in his coaching abilities when we were losing.   I would have hated him if he started beating up on himself or the team publicly.  Of course he had to remain confident!

11 hours ago, meangreanmick said:

One of my closest lifelong friends is a long time HS coach in the metroplex, has won state championships at 5a/6a.   I can tell you for sure that while that may happen, that hasn’t been the main issue.   His comments have been fairly consistent thru the years at the various schools he has been at, and across many of our coaches - “they don’t really spend any time at our school like the other colleges do”’ and “ UNT coaches come in very cocky and don’t give us the time of day”.     This is from a coach that has discussed his players with Saban several times.

i don’t know if we just don’t have the resources and funds to cover sufficiently, or our coaches have red headed step child syndrome and think they need to act cocky to the high school coaches or what.  Probably both, and we need to get it fixed.

Again, as Billy said... because it's true:
When Walerius or a staffer calls or visits to talk to the same kid that Saban is coming to visit, and is told something like, "Saban is sniffing around on him, but let me show you Kid Y!", and Kid Y has offers from FCS schools because he is not a FBS-caliber player, of course our coaches are going to say, OK, thx bye.   What should we do?   Offer that sub-par kid so we can keep the HS coach happy?

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

In my scenario I want to emphasize that the main point is there are two sides to these stories, and when there is a large disconnect that’s where we start to divert our attention elsewhere.

I’m sure many HS coaches feel like we are being cocky for not offering their FCS level talent, and they think we’re being too good because their expectations of what caliber players UNT should be recruiting doesn’t align with the caliber players that UNT coaches want from that school. When there is that disconnect, it honestly makes sense for us to not be showing up in those schools as much as others.

On the flip side, if Saban comes into town, every coach in the state is rolling out the red carpet for him and they’re going to try and sell their top players to him, unlike they would with a UNT Coach. I’ve heard these conversations before of HS coaches saying “oh, yeah Baylor/Colorado/etc. already offered him” as a way of telling the G5 coach he’s not worth your time. Meanwhile, we don’t want those type of kids to be off limits. We can and have been signing those type of recruits every year, even if it’s after those offers dry up. 

What you are saying is 100% accurate.

Also, what you are saying is 100% dated. Not dated as if it doesn't happen, but dated as in we don't need HS coaches to inform us of their top, mid-grade and low level talent. We should know names, top to bottom, and skillsets before even stepping foot in the school. 

I know if not organized properly it can be leg work, but every school in a ___ mile radius of UNT should be dropped in on during every recruiting period/cycle. Even if there is a player of interest or not.

Guyer - Argyle - Ryan - Braswell - LD - Denton High- Sanger/Krum - Aubrey/PP - Rock Hill/Prosper 

Go get on a name basis with a couple coaches at those places and show face with some regularity. 

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I've seen this mischaracterization about him on here over & over...    I really don't think he had a huge ego at all.  He was always very down to Earth any time I saw him out & about, and in interviews.  There have been numerous reports that Dodge wanted to have collegiate staff hired with him, but budget would not allow it, so he brought most of his SLC staff with him.

People say he had an ego because he remained confident in his coaching abilities when we were losing.   I would have hated him if he started beating up on himself or the team publicly.  Of course he had to remain confident!

Again, as Billy said... because it's true:
When Walerius or a staffer calls or visits to talk to the same kid that Saban is coming to visit, and is told something like, "Saban is sniffing around on him, but let me show you Kid Y!", and Kid Y has offers from FCS schools because he is not a FBS-caliber player, of course our coaches are going to say, OK, thx bye.   What should we do?   Offer that sub-par kid so we can keep the HS coach happy?

That's great. Talk to player Y. Thank that coach for the "heads up". But also satisfy your business being there.