DRC: Where does UNT go from here? A look at the search as it begins, potential candidates

Brett Vito

13 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Other than Fuente and Patterson not another single one of these candidates makes any sense at all.

Graham Harrell and Emmett Jones give you great connections to the Texas High Schools - Maybe it doesn't help as much when the players are coming out of HS, but could make a difference in transfers. Both would also probably be able to attract QBs.

K.C. Keeler gives you a proven winner. He's not getting support in their transition.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

19 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Graham Harrell and Emmett Jones give you great connections to the Texas High Schools - Maybe it doesn't help as much when the players are coming out of HS, but could make a difference in transfers. Both would also probably be able to attract QBs.

K.C. Keeler gives you a proven winner. He's not getting support in their transition.

This was the same logic that was used when hiring Todd Dodge

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Just now, gordo nation said:

This was the same logic that was used when hiring Todd Dodge

IMO not a good comparison. Things were a lot different (and not on the good side) when they hired TD. He was allowed to bring in HS coaches who were nowhere near ready to coach in college. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I hope we are aiming a lot higher! I bet we are.

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

I hope we are aiming a lot higher! I bet we are.

I hope and have a feeling we get a real home run of a hire. Mainly because I would love to rub it in the face of everyone saying “we shouldn’t have fired Seth” and “how can we expect better than we he did for us since we are North Texas with a bad athletic history”

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

9 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

Give me Emmett jones or Garrett Riley.  Probably prefer Riley due to having a front row seat to watching him get player after player at smu and now tcu.  Both would bring huge upgrades in recruiting immediately.

Either of these guys and bring Ra'Shaad Samples in as your Co-OC (With Patrick Cobbs) and see how many good HS players and transfers we start getting. 

17 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

Give me Emmett jones or Garrett Riley.  Probably prefer Riley due to having a front row seat to watching him get player after player at smu and now tcu.  Both would bring huge upgrades in recruiting immediately.

They don't even have the resume that Seth had. Has to have head coaching experience

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Keeler seems alot like the Kansas hire, that was a home run for them

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

They don't even have the resume that Seth had. Has to have head coaching experience

I honestly go back and forth about whether or not our next coach has to have head coaching experience.  One thing I like about Riley is that even though he doesn't have head coaching experience, it would seem that he would have a great consultant in Lincoln.  

• Puking Eagle 1

30 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

NO!   We don't need to mess with any non-head coaches.   Too much of a learning curve.   We are beyond experiments with high school coaches and/or Coordinators with no HC time.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

"Smatresk had a hand in hiring Littrell, who enjoyed a successful run at UNT. He guided the Mean Green to six bowl games in seven seasons, including this year’s Frisco Bowl."

Really?   Seth was fired for NOT being successful.  No Championships, No Bowl wins, few OOC wins, etc, etc.....

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

6 minutes ago, NT93 said:

I honestly go back and forth about whether or not our next coach has to have head coaching experience.  One thing I like about Riley is that even though he doesn't have head coaching experience, it would seem that he would have a great consultant in Lincoln.  

Why didn’t SMU hire Garrett? Why didn’t USC give Graham the interim coaching job? We hired one of the best Assist Coaches at the time. We now need to hire a proven winner.

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

I hope and have a feeling we get a real home run of a hire. Mainly because I would love to rub it in the face of everyone saying “we shouldn’t have fired Seth” and “how can we expect better than we he did for us since we are North Texas with a bad athletic history”

I hope your right, but I have heard the same thing with the last nine hires and all got fired

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NT80 said:

"Smatresk had a hand in hiring Littrell, who enjoyed a successful run at UNT. He guided the Mean Green to six bowl games in seven seasons, including this year’s Frisco Bowl."

Really?   Seth was fired for NOT being successful.  No Championships, No Bowl wins, few OOC wins, etc, etc.....

Fired just like the last 8 or so for much of the same reasons 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, NT80 said:

NO!   We don't need to mess with any non-head coaches.   Too much of a learning curve.   We are beyond experiments with high school coaches and/or Coordinators with no HC time.

Every successful head coach was an assistant once.  Most were coordinators, but Traylor and McGuire weren’t.  If you can get the OC from one of the top ranked teams in the nation, are you going to turn him down?

11 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Why didn’t SMU hire Garrett? Why didn’t USC give Graham the interim coaching job? We hired one of the best Assist Coaches at the time. We now need to hire a proven winner.

I think his resume looks better now than it did a year ago.  Maybe their wishing the would have hired him.

I’m out on Harrell.  I don’t dislike him, but I wouldn’t feel good about being him in.  His resume looks worse than a year ago.

4 minutes ago, NT93 said:

Every successful head coach was an assistant once.  Most were coordinators, but Traylor and McGuire weren’t.  If you can get the OC from one of the top ranked teams in the nation, are you going to turn him down?

Yes.  We don't need that learning curve again.  Seth was an OC at North Carolina.   He didn't have to hire and fire as a coordinator, deal with media or fan fundraisers, many things a HC is responsible for.   Some grasp it, some resist it!

• Upvote 1