DRC: UNT storylines at the halfway point -- Littrell in position to solidify return, Aune's rise, lack of a big win

Brett Vito

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

The problem is, if you ask him and any of the players, they'll tell you they put up a "Statement Win" less than 1 year ago against a ranked, undefeated UTSA team.

So that makes one statement win in 7 years. Cannot believe anything less than a conference championship and not losing in a Bowl would even be considered for bringing him back. Our move to the American is looking like a continuation of #hit6. Pathetic.

• Upvote 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 2

45 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

We give contract extensions based on the same….

Based on his writing over the years, Vito is on the camp of “UNT should thank it’s lucky stars anytime something close to positive happens” 

he’s an add “for UNT” behind everything.  

Nine wins is AMAZING! “for UNT”

Going to a bowl is awesome “for UNT”

Not getting blown out is great “for UNT”

Getting 15k to show up and actually watch a game is superb “for UNT”

That’s how that works….and why our standards are ridiculously low 

Just put “for UNT” behind everything and mediocrity doesn’t seem so bad….

I don’t like it either but is he wrong? 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

5 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Vito's got his own style.  Hated it when I was a student but have become rather indifferent towards his style now and can appreciate his perspective/insight.  I think he does a pretty decent balancing act in his role as a beat writer for UNT.

At the end of the day, "sports journalism" has been forced to move into the realm of entertainment media to survive.

It's more about garnering clicks, likes, and impressions, to pay the bills and make the advertising dollars.

Traditional coverage of teams/games that existed before social media came on the scene has little value now, as any player, coach, or "insider" can break news without going through a media outlet or channel.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

28 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Not really saying he's right or wrong....but like many around the program, he views it the way he views it and has a really low standard for UNT. (and yes...I understand it's been earned, would just like to see it changed)

Put another way: I just can't say "going to Bowl games with losing records is something positive because we haven't gone to many..."

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 3

5 bowl games in which only 2 were legit, but keep puff that smoke up SL's a$$

Little ole UNT just can not do any better. Yup let's celebrate doing the same as DD back in the day beating the lower 1/3 of FBS and crapping the bed against the rest. 

Bring on the extension and the AAC beatings

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

@NorthTexasWeLove @greenminer @UNTcrazy727

Is this the positivity you want? I mean the beat writer in the town, one of two people that cover the team, he strongly believes in the current coach and his future here...the fans here in Denton sure get the big picture!! Go Mean Green!!

Vito is clearly in the group of people that believes we all need to shut up and fan. I am not in that group. Clearly thousands upon thousands of empty seats of people are also not in that group. So, attenance speaks volumes regardless of Vitos agendadized drivel. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

Vito: “Take it all into account, and there is a lot to like about where UNT stands as it takes aim at its sixth bowl berth in seven seasons”

Or 

“Take it all into account, and there is a lot to like about where UNT stands as it takes aim at its sixth season out of seven with at least 5 wins”

Same thing…

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Vito: “Take it all into account, and there is a lot to like about where UNT stands as it takes aim at its sixth bowl berth in seven seasons”

Or 

“Take it all into account, and there is a lot to like about where UNT stands as it takes aim at its sixth season out of seven with at least 5 wins”

Same thing…

Cheers to that, well put!

page front GIF

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

I have to think this attitude of "let's not suck" as a standard has a lot to do why we don't get players from the top programs in Denton to stay. They have grown up in an environment where they expect excellence, not just being average. These same players and Coaches see UNT's message (even if only indirectly) that we just want our football team to be average. Not what these guys are looking for.

• Upvote 2
  • Ray 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

33 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I have to think this attitude of "let's not suck" as a standard has a lot to do why we don't get players from the top programs in Denton to stay. They have grown up in an environment where they expect excellence, not just being average. These same players and Coaches see UNT's message (even if only indirectly) that we just want our football team to be average. Not what these guys are looking for.

Excellent Point

• Upvote 1

To get curb stomped by other G5’s is ridiculous. 6-6 he should be replaced, 7-5 with a bowl loss he should be replaced with a win keeps his job, 8-4 with a bowl loss should get an additional 2 yr extension with a low buy out! I think one of the points that gives us optimism on replacing Seth is Wren’s track record on hiring coaches.

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

31 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

To get curb stomped by other G5’s is ridiculous. 6-6 he should be replaced, 7-5 with a bowl loss he should be replaced with a win keeps his job, 8-4 with a bowl loss should get an additional 2 yr extension with a low buy out! I think one of the points that gives us optimism on replacing Seth is Wren’s track record on hiring coaches.

I think 1 game of differential is splitting hairs. My opinion is my own and it's subject to change, but given the notion of the how SL keeping his job is gaining momnetum then he needs to basically win out to keep his job. Otherwise, more if the same should be expected if he's given an extension. I do not want more of the same. 

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

I think this is too lenient but that's just me. I'm probably expecting too much but if I were WB with SL on year 7, I'd expect 9 wins including a bowl win. Nothing less. I'm not interested I'm finishing 6-6 to play another 6-6 team in a bowl. Beating a 6-6 team from the MAC does nothing for me. At 8-4, you're probably playing another decent team in a bowl so, depending on the opponent, I can accept a win to to finish 9-4. I just don't see how finishing with 8 wins or less in year 7 should warrant an extension.

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, untbowler said:

5 bowl games in which only 2 were legit, but keep puff that smoke up SL's a$$

Little ole UNT just can not do any better. Yup let's celebrate doing the same as DD back in the day beating the lower 1/3 of FBS and crapping the bed against the rest. 

Bring on the extension and the AAC beatings

6-6 is a legit bowl birth. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 5
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1