Is Gunnell available to play.

untphd

57 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

There has been some talk due to him already transferring once. It seems the coaches are operating that he will be eligible, since he redshirted last year, therefore did not exhaust his one-time sit out free transfer.

I thought they were trying to change it to unlimited transfers with immediate eligibility, is that still in the works?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

10 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Y'all are taking this single website's word way too seriously. Nothing else has been said by any other outlet or team page. Don't know what these folks know that nobody else does...

Exactly, and even if you did take it seriously, it says questionable. It's not like it's saying he is out definitely.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Welcome to G5.  Think this would be an issue at UT, Ohio St., Alabama, etc...  My understanding was that he had graduated from Memphis and thus had immediate eligibility as a grad transfer.

He does not appear to have graduated from Memphis. Also, based on the NCAA one-time transfer FAQs, being a graduate transfer doesn’t provide for an additional one-time sit out free transfer by itself. “Grad transfer” is pretty much a thing of the past. It’s either a guy using his first one-time sit out free transfer, or a the guy has to sit out a season unless a waiver is granted. We’ll see in time if the NCAA sets a precedent for allowing grad transfers to have a second transfer without sitting out.

My guess from what I have read is that anyone transferring a second time has to apply for a waiver, which included Gunnell. But because he did sit out after the first one, even though it was due to injury, he was just about a sure thing to get the waiver.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/eligibility_center/Transfer/OneTime_Transfer.pdf

AAAB1B19-E4B9-4714-8F6D-939241424CCA.jpeg

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

He does not appear to have graduated from Memphis. Also, based on the NCAA one-time transfer FAQs, being a graduate transfer doesn’t provide for an additional one-time sit out free transfer by itself. “Grad transfer” is pretty much a thing of the past. It’s either a guy using his first one-time sit out free transfer, or a the guy has to sit out a season unless a waiver is granted. We’ll see in time if the NCAA sets a precedent for allowing grad transfers to have a second transfer without sitting out.

My guess from what I have read is that anyone transferring a second time has to apply for a waiver, which included Gunnell. But because he did sit out after the first one, even though it was due to injury, he was just about a sure thing to get the waiver.

Memphis' website says he redshirted last year. I think we're looking too much into this in regards to Gunnell. Seems pretty plain. He never used his one-time free pass and is using it now.

Based on Vito's post above, he's good to go.

• Upvote 1

Just now, GMG_Dallas said:

Memphis' website says he redshirted last year. I think we're looking too much into this in regards to Gunnell. Seems pretty plain. He never used his one-time free pass and is using it now.

Based on Vito's post above, he's good to go.

That’s exactly what I’m saying. Just that it appears the NCAA is making anyone who transfers a second time have to apply for a waiver, even if they sat out the first transfer. Which is why Gunnell even needed a waiver in the first place.

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

That’s exactly what I’m saying. Just that it appears the NCAA is making anyone who transfers a second time have to apply for a waiver, even if they sat out the first transfer. Which is why Gunnell even needed a waiver in the first place.

Gotcha. I misunderstood. My bad. Well that does indeed add a fun dynamic to the transfer then.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

He, at the very least, gives the impression that he graduated.

37 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Let's be clear: this is not a lie or a truth, this is Gunnell merely affirming someone else's (possible) truth, (possible) lie, or (possible) misunderstanding. lol

There was a photo of him on his Twitter at one point in his cap and gown, it may still be there, I’m not sure.