Jump to content
  • Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

    Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

My Coaching Wish List at the Moment


Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, dml7007 said:

But I hope that we win this week and go on a run that is the start of something special.

That would require one of the 8 QB on the roster to figure it out. The OC to show up before halftime. I hope you are right. I am just not seeing it at the moment. I see us being 1-6 before we get to a winnable game.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, dml7007 said:

But I hope that we win this week and go on a run that is the start of something special.

I was of this mindset.  It melted away 2 games ago.  We have too much evidence now to suggest it will never happen.

Would love to be wrong.

As of now, I'm just keeping an eye on Wren for any signs (speech/behavioral/ANYTHING) that indicates what direction he goes.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Holtz and Keller are tops on my list. I would love to duplicate what LA Tech has. If you watch the Sam Houston games they are very well coached in all phases of the game.

As far as P5 assistants I would prefer to have someone who has had to develop talent and not always working with 4 and 5 start players

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Traylor, Norvell ( FSU fires him) Todd Graham. I feel that Traylor will get other looks, but there is not a G5 program in his backyard geographically that can offer what we have. I believe the next guy must have head coaching experience. 

If you stipulate that it means we get a bounce back candidate.  Period.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Holtz and Keller are tops on my list. I would love to duplicate what LA Tech has. If you watch the Sam Houston goes they are very well coached in all phases of the game.

As far as P5 assistants I would prefer to have someone who has had to develop talent and not always working with 4 and 5 start players

This. We just are one mental error after another. Both these teams don't have anymore talent than we have. They are just some more better coached.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

After watching BYU Utah State the other day I feel Anderson is a solid personality for UNT. He and Wells are friends so when Sonny goes to Lubbock to replace Wells bring Anderson and Wells to Denton. The guy wins, is fiery and knows our part of the country well. 
 

Scott Frost can build a UCF juggernaut in North Texas. 
 

Keeler has sustainability, experience and that inspirational personality. 
 

I want hunger experience and big vision creation from our next guy. Scott Frost might lead my trio of 3.

GMG
 

 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

Traylor, Norvell ( FSU fires him) Todd Graham. I feel that Traylor will get other looks, but there is not a G5 program in his backyard geographically that can offer what we have. I believe the next guy must have head coaching experience. 

Traylor has been a favorite of mine since he was a head coach at Gilmer high school(about 25 mins from my hometown). He is destined for a P5 job. He could be a potential replacement for several of the names on my list. Alot of P5 schools would die for his txhsfb connections. No way he lands at UNT at this point. Todd Graham is one of the highest on my list if I had to rank them. I didn't put Norvell just for the reason I am not sure about his team building. He inherited a lot at Memphis.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Traylor has been a favorite of mine since he was a head coach at Gilmer high school(about 25 mins from my hometown). He is destined for a P5 job. He could be a potential replacement for several of the names on my list. Alot of P5 schools would die for his txhsfb connections. No way he lands at UNT at this point. Todd Graham is one of the highest on my list if I had to rank them. I didn't put Norvell just for the reason I am not sure about his team building. He inherited a lot at Memphis.

I think Traylor is best suited to coach in Texas with his HS connections. Think he might sit back and wait for Houston, Tech, Baylor, or TCU to open up. A flyer might be LSU if Coach is let go.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, dml7007 said:

All of those are good candidates.   But I hope that we win this week and go on a run that is the start of something special.  If not then we have faith that Wren will do what is best for the program.  

Keeping SL past a loss against Marshall this week (unless it is close loss on gimme FG, dropped TD pass, or turnover inside the 10 yard line) is pointless.  Start your formal search now and hire the best available.  I am not banking on hopes on P5 coach fired at the end of this season turning our program around.  Beyond tired of waiting for SL to win something significant.  An extension with a raise wasn’t warranted.  An extension with 2 years tacked on at the previous salary and some perks maybe.

  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Traylor has been a favorite of mine since he was a head coach at Gilmer high school(about 25 mins from my hometown). He is destined for a P5 job. He could be a potential replacement for several of the names on my list. Alot of P5 schools would die for his txhsfb connections. No way he lands at UNT at this point. Todd Graham is one of the highest on my list if I had to rank them. I didn't put Norvell just for the reason I am not sure about his team building. He inherited a lot at Memphis.

I think for Traylor to get the most benefit out of his recruiting connections staying in the SW area would be a big plus. The only P5 at this time would be TT. I think they will go after Dykes with a lifetime deal from all the oil money. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I’m sorry but I can’t see Holtz leaving La Tech. Him and Caldwell would move up to a higher rank, and sadly we aren’t higher up at the moment. 
The rest of the list is great, and I want someone with energy, passion, and no mumbles 

Passion can’t be understated. Feels like Littrell has been on auto pilot since he turned down K-State and got the big raise.

  • Upvote 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Carthel is intriguing. He's been very successful at the FCS level. He has to know almost every high school coach in the state. My nephew coached against him in the LSC, says Carthel has that edge about him. Will push the rules to the limit to win. I heard Carthel say in an interview last year that UNT would be a place he'd like to coach some day.

Edited by Marty
  • Upvote 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

A bounce back coach I’d be interested in is Kevin Sumlin. He recruits Texas extremely well and knows how to run a G5 program. 

I worry about coaches who are used to working with 4 and 5 star players. I'm not even close to understanding the whole star system, and of course 5 stars and 4 stars "should" have more "ready-to-go" potential, but with 3 stars it seems that the bigger key is to determine which players have the most potential for growth as opposed to players who might have, or been close to peaking in HS. I think it is more important than ever to have a coach and staff who can develop players

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, NM Green said:

After watching BYU Utah State the other day I feel Anderson is a solid personality for UNT. He and Wells are friends so when Sonny goes to Lubbock to replace Wells bring Anderson and Wells to Denton. The guy wins, is fiery and knows our part of the country well. 
 

Scott Frost can build a UCF juggernaut in North Texas. 
 

Keeler has sustainability, experience and that inspirational personality. 
 

I want hunger experience and big vision creation from our next guy. Scott Frost might lead my trio of 3.

GMG
 

 

Scott Frost didn’t build UCF, George O’Leary did. Frost rebuilt it after one down season.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Shawn Clark, Scott Frost, or Neal Brown would take the talent on this roster to the next level.  Too much ability on this roster to keep losing. I’m not sure what the problem is, but it doesn’t feel as if our current head coach is the solution. 
 

That being said, I hope I’m wrong and this team runs the table!  GMG!

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I worry about coaches who are used to working with 4 and 5 star players. I'm not even close to understanding the whole star system, and of course 5 stars and 4 stars "should" have more "ready-to-go" potential, but with 3 stars it seems that the bigger key is to determine which players have the most potential for growth as opposed to players who might have, or been close to peaking in HS. I think it is more important than ever to have a coach and staff who can develop players

That’s why I like that he had great success at a G5 program in Houston, and built them up to a 13-win season before heading to A&M.

  • Upvote 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I worry about coaches who are used to working with 4 and 5 star players. I'm not even close to understanding the whole star system, and of course 5 stars and 4 stars "should" have more "ready-to-go" potential, but with 3 stars it seems that the bigger key is to determine which players have the most potential for growth as opposed to players who might have, or been close to peaking in HS. I think it is more important than ever to have a coach and staff who can develop players

You're thinking A&M-Sumlin.  I'm thinking Houston-Sumlin.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




  • Tell a friend

    Love GoMeanGreen.com? Tell a friend!
  • What's going on Mean Green?

    1. 9

      Meanwhile: ULM & their $8 million athletic budget beat Liberty U last night.

    2. 6

      Harry, Evan, and JD (Podcast Team) - Question for the next Podcast

    3. 42

      From this point on every loss is on WB

    4. 0

      UTEP over LA Tech

  • Popular Contributors

  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      14,813
    • Most Online
      1,865

    Newest Member
    AFadminxyz
    Joined
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.