My Coaching Wish List at the Moment

TheReal_jayD

27 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

He did have Paxton Lynch....but you know who Fuente sent to recruit Paxton Lynch?

Let's just say it's a coach that has made a career out of finding the diamonds in the rough....would love to have his eye for talent back in Denton on someone's staff.

And the way Lynch ended up at Memphis is somewhat similar to the way Fine showed up in Denton. Someone dropped a note on Fuente's desk and they were desperate for a QB.

https://apnews.com/article/2cb1556641aa4efdb600f21b3bef2b9f

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) — Desperate for a quarterback, Justin Fuente heard of Paxton Lynch thanks to a note an administrator left on the new Memphis coach’s desk.

Few video clips existed of the quarterback actually throwing a football, so Fuente sent assistant Darrell Dickey to Florida to meet Lynch. .......

Neat story, I had no idea.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

We need a guy with Texas ties.  Fuente does not have these especially coming from Va Tech.  Not saying he couldn’t be a good hire but these things must be taken into consideration.

He's from Oklahoma and coached at TCU for 4 years. I can guarantee you he has plenty of Texas ties

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

We need a guy with Texas ties.  Fuente does not have these especially coming from Va Tech.  Not saying he couldn’t be a good hire but these things must be taken into consideration.

Yeah, he does.
He was at TCU during their MWC dominance run and his Memphis recruiting classes had several Texas players:
2012: 5 Commits from Texas
2013: 7 Commits from Texas
2014: 3 Commits from Texas
2015: 3 Commits from Texas

I know his Memphis stint was 6-10 years ago, but a lot of TXHSFB coaches are still around from then, and I bet he can identify a strong supporting staff (ideally keeping coach Cobbs & Walerius) for recruiting Texas.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Did you research this or just spout the first thought that came to mind?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Only 2 Texas players on the current Va Tech roster:  https://hokiesports.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/justin-fuente/2514

Wow! What a resume for Fuente.

With the AAC in the (very) near future,  whoever is recruiting for UNT I think most would agree will need to raise the across the board quality of our recruiting.  
In 2019 when we played AAC member UH at Apogee that was a pretty big hint of that kind of quality.  
🐎 SMU pioneered the transfer portal (as to get immediate starters) like no other G5 program, but we have hardly even begun that process.  That process needs to begin soon (as in yesterday) since the American Athletic Conference is only 2 years away. 

In what will be our 3’rd season in a row at .500 & below (wins/losses) makes what Neal Smatresk & Wren Baker pulled off to get us out of CUSA into the American even more miraculous IMO.  I hope Smatresk will not retire & “In Wren We Trust” stays for quite awhile.  The dramatic Athletic Center expansion is on his “gotta get this done now” list because of its prime importance to all varsity athletes.

•••Watch for an announcement any day from SMU with their picking back up & continuation in the NCAA FBS venues arms race. It’s ongoing for all G5 programs who mean business & want to advance from where they’re all at now.

BEAT THE MINERS! ⛏

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Thanks 1