PPG Prediction

AustinFromUNT

54 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

If we open up the playbook? I'd say 28 ppg

If all we run is swing passes and QB draws? 24.8 ppg

Hard to do that when you can't block the basic plays you have.  

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

10 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Hard to do that when you can't block the basic plays you have.  

Many, many sacks were on the shoulders of the QB himself. I think the increase of swing passes were dealt as an extension of the run game in passing situations due to having a true freshman QB having a difficult time reading defenses. Sure, the OL has to improve. But so does Fine. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Ben Gooding said:

Many, many sacks were on the shoulders of the QB himself. I think the increase of swing passes were dealt as an extension of the run game in passing situations due to having a true freshman QB having a difficult time reading defenses. Sure, the OL has to improve. But so does Fine. 

I'll disagree that many, many were but yes he absolutely held onto the ball too long at times.  I'd guess 15-20% of sacks were on Fine. 

6 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

I'll disagree that many, many were but yes he absolutely held onto the ball too long at times.  I'd guess 15-20% of sacks were on Fine. 

And not just the sacks, but the ruining of plays because he's gotta break away from the line because of the breakdown of the pocket due to him chilling for 3 or 4 seconds. Those type plays also accumulated throughout the year. 

I say 27ish on O. 25ish on D. 

If we get 35 ppg we're doing big things this year. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Offense 35 

Defense 28

9 minutes ago, UNT Mean Green said:

In this range for sure.

That's essentially what ODU finished with last year.  Their record was 10-3 and they were #2 in the standings (if you take out divisions).  http://conferenceusa.com/stats.aspx?path=football&year=2016

If we make that big a jump we'll be competing for the conference title.

Offensively, I expect Littrell's trends to hold form & take a big step up this year.  At least 5 more ppg.  
Defensively, I worry about this retooled line & LB depth, but I hope to see a little improvement.

In my mind the Lamar & Iowa stats will offset each other.   There are some pretty explosive C-USA offenses, and then there's Rice & UTEP (I know what UTEP did last year, but Jones is gone now).

Give me:
Offense: 29.9
Defense: 29.8

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

And not just the sacks, but the ruining of plays because he's gotta break away from the line because of the breakdown of the pocket due to him chilling for 3 or 4 seconds. Those type plays also accumulated throughout the year. 

I say 27ish on O. 25ish on D. 

If we get 35 ppg we're doing big things this year. 

I agree with the throwing the ball away was an issue. As stated before his height is an issue as far as standing in the pocket and not being able to see the throwing lanes therefore holding onto the ball. I thought Graham coached like he had a 6'2" Qb. I hope see some growth in the OC and he adapts to the talent .on the field. Again slot play is critical for the quick passes along with some type of roll out. Fine could option on the roll out to throw or tuck it and run.  Offense 30ppg D 27ppg GMG

Edited by Wag Tag

If are able to increase scoring to 28ppg and keep the opponents under 30ppg, that would put us in the top 70 of each category, which does not seem like an unrealistic ask and represents a small improvement for each side of the ball.  

I will go with 28o and 29d.  Scoring 28ppg in a supposed air raid offense should be a layup, but we haven't done it yet, so baby steps.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

If we open up the playbook? I'd say 28 ppg

If all we run is swing passes and QB draws? 24.8 ppg

Same.

I'm going to guess we allow less than 28 per game on defense.  Littrell hired more experienced guys to coach that side of the ball, so it should keep improving in increments.

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

I agree with the throwing the ball away was an issue. As stated before his height is an issue as far as standing in the pocket and not being able to see the throwing lanes therefore holding onto the ball. I thought Graham coached like he had a 6'2" Qb. I hope see some growth in the OC and he adapts to the talent .on the field. Again slot play is critical for the quick passes along with some type of roll out. Fine could option on the roll out to throw or tuck it and run.  Offense 30ppg D 27ppg GMG

The other issues are timing, and as Littrell lamented a couple of weeks ago, the WRs fighting more to get open/consistently doing a better job in their routes.  Fine doesn't have the luxury of being tall enough to see the whole field over the line.  So, timing and route technique are very critical for us. 

• Upvote 1