7 minutes ago, UNT Mean Green said:

Facility Information on this tour:

Liberty University

Marshall

Miami Ohio and Miami Athletic Performance Center

Colorado

Oklahoma State

Dead on. 

That location wouldn't make sense. Needs to be as close as possible to Operations Building and ideally adjacent to Practice Fields.

I guess they could build it where the intramural fields are located.

• Downvote 1

I often wonder if some people really think that all the coaches and administrators do at road games is arrive, go to the hotel, go to the stadium for the game, then go immediately back to the hotel, then go home - all without ever meeting with any of the host school's administrators or seeing any of the host schools other facilities.

I am convinced that there are people who believe that...and, so, too could believe that Smatresk has never seen any of these types of facilities.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

11 minutes ago, UNT Mean Green said:

That location wouldn't make sense. Needs to be as close as possible to Operations Building and ideally adjacent to Practice Fields.

So you're saying to build over the DD practice facility?   We still need outdoor practice fields.  
If not on the DD fields, there is no room for a giant building except way back over there.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

I often wonder if some people really think that all the coaches and administrators do at road games is arrive, go to the hotel, go to the stadium for the game, then go immediately back to the hotel, then go home - all without ever meeting with any of the host school's administrators or seeing any of the host schools other facilities.

I am convinced that there are people who believe that...and, so, too could believe that Smatresk has never seen any of these types of facilities.

When has Smatty ever gone to Miami-OH, Colorado, or Liberty?    Maybe he recommended Marshall because he liked it last time he went there (if he even did)?

I am convinced that there are people who believe a University president would only be interested in touring another University's athletics facilities while visiting.

• Upvote 3

56 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Pssht!  Jerry Jones just built one in Frisco about 30-35 minutes East.  They couldn't have just driven over there and asked him a question or two?

The other thing I find laughable is that they have to spend money to go look at these things in person...as if none of them has ever seen one or been inside of one before.  Like they are a busload of Japanese tourists. 

Pointless.  Littrell and Baker have surely been in a dozen of these facilities before.  It isn't rocket science.  It's a little building, usually shaped like a small airplane hanger, with a football field and some office inside, perhaps a weight room.  These things are not earth-shattering pieces of architecture and engineering. 

And, to Lifer's point, I was within a ball hair of just posting a picture of Bear Bryant at the thought of a Texas football school wanting to shield it's team from the heat.  

It's things like this that convince me we are not evolving or adapting.  Far from.  Our grandfathers, grandmothers, and great grandfathers, and great grandmothers toiled in the sun on farms scratching out existences and feeding the nation.  And, they did it in the blistering heat, the withering wind, a through piles of snow, harvesting crops and tending to livestock, 365 days a year - no vacations, no sick days, no pension, no health care benefits, and no minimum wage.

But, here we are just four or so decades removed from it, and we're trying to prevent football players - not ballet dancers, football players - from having the sun touch their skin for too long and to keep them from being in the heat for an hour or two.

I'm here to tell you that my ancestors who lived into their 80s and 90s in spite of their "hard living" conditions will likely outlive most of this cupcakey generation of Americans.

Pete's pepper!  I'll bet Bear didn't even give the Junction Boys any sun screen!

Yea let's drop $10m and not research the hell out of it! As technology changes so does construction with big changes in construction procedures and materials. It wasnt that long ago that the Cowboys IPF was blown over by straight line winds! Make it multi, multi use and it would be great if it could also incorporate features that could be used outside of athletics. In looking at Boise based off some of their features they also use it for conventions!

Edited by Wag Tag
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Yea let's drop $20m and not research the hell out of it! As technology changes so does construction with big changes in construction procedures and materials. It wasnt that long ago that the Cowboys IPF was blown over by straight line winds! Make it multi, multi use and it would be great if it could also incorporate features that could be used outside of athletics. In looking at Boise based off some of their features they also use it for conventions!

That wasn't an IPF. It was basically a giant EZ-Up that you see people use at FB tailgates.

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, UNT Mean Green said:

I'm not certain how you would deduce that, but that's not to say that may not be the premise. I would say that if you take a minute to look at where they visited, these destinations were very well thought out (and some "nicer" than the car ride destinations you listed):

Liberty University

Brand new Indoor Practice Facility (possibly still under construction) and Liberty has the best athletics facilities in FCS (better than most G5 FBS) with money to burn

Marshall

Opened in 2014 with Academics and Training facilities, this looks to be the best (and possibly only) Indoor Practice Facility in Conference USA

Miami Ohio and Miami Athletic Performance Center

Indoor Practice Facility opened in 2015 and newly opened Athletic Performance Center looks to be best anywhere in G5

Colorado

Brand new Indoor Practice Facility and Champions Center easily in Top 3 facilities in PAC12 conference, and frankly a team that we compete with recruits on

Oklahoma State

New(er) facility in the Big XII (more recent than Baylor or TCU), and likely on the way returning to Denton for the jet

Absolutely. It's reasonable to think that Ryan Peck has contacts at Colorado and Wren Baker has contacts at Oklahoma State. 

I "deduced" it from your statement... And yes, these schools that were visited have newer and nicer indoor practice facilities than what is available 3-4 hours via car...which gives the assumption that there was something there that couldn't have been drawn from here simply because it's newer, and that's rediculous.

There was no reason worth the money spent flying around looking at glorified horse arenas when there are dozens, if not hundreds of them right here in Texas. Nearly every other high school has one.  Arlington Martin just opened one a month or so ago.  Southlake's is so nice that the Cowboys have used it, and it's gotta be over 10 years old now?  

I'm for us building an IPF.  I just think it's silly to blow money to look at ones so far away when there are plenty here to look at and countless resources through contractors to use.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Downvote 14

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Pleasantly surprised, I hope.    
I suppose he is championing a baseball program as Mr. Goldfield did before.  I would anticipate this donor to be a significant donor to that project.

Build football, MBB, and WBB into conference champions before diverting resources to baseball. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

26 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

I "deduced" it from your statement... And yes, these schools that were visited have newer and nicer indoor practice facilities than what is available 3-4 hours via car...which gives the assumption that there was a must see of something newer there that couldn't have been drawn from here, and that's rediculous.

Do you test drive the car you're going to purchase or do you basically buy it "unseen" because you've driven older models?

Also, there's no way the people who went to visit these IPFs was ever going to drive down to Waco and back when that would have cost them a day of travel. If they had flown, it would have been a half day away from the office at best.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

23 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Build football, MBB, and WBB into conference champions before diverting resources to baseball. 

Ain'tcho money.

I know this guy is on board with the IPF first, (obviously, or they wouldn't be flying around in his plane) but this guy loves baseball.   I don't doubt he'll be contributing to both, and I'm very grateful for his contributions.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Ain'tcho money.

I know this guy is on board with the IPF first, (obviously, or they wouldn't be flying around in his plane) but this guy loves baseball.   I don't doubt he'll be contributing to both, and I'm very grateful for his contributions.

He probably also knows that if Football aint making money (ala winning games, selling tickets, merchandise and concessions) then baseball will be a sinking ship because the Football program supports all other athletics in the NCAA.  Very few turn a profit, causing them to rely on money from football to keep programs afloat.  I assume he knows that and is ready to do what is necessary for football to be successful, then add baseball once that ship is fixed.  Just a guess on my part. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

I "deduced" it from your statement... And yes, these schools that were visited have newer and nicer indoor practice facilities than what is available 3-4 hours via car...which gives the assumption that there was something there that couldn't have been drawn from here simply because it's newer, and that's rediculous.

There was no reason worth the money spent flying around looking at glorified horse arenas when there are dozens, if not hundreds of them right here in Texas. Nearly every other high school has one.  Arlington Martin just opened one a month or so ago.  Southlake's is so nice that the Cowboys have used it, and it's gotta be over 10 years old now?  

I'm for us building an IPF.  I just think it's silly to blow money to look at ones so far away when there are plenty here to look at and countless resources through contractors to use.

Rick

So...you have personally seen the Oklahoma State Indoor facility and toured it?  I have...it is NOT a glorified "horse arena".  And, I was surprised that it was on the list as it cost way more than the numbers being thrown around for UNT's facility.  If UNT steps up and builds one anywhere near as nice as OSU's it will be a HOME RUN!

While at a game a year or so ago, a couple of their Advancement folks were heard to say....in talking about the newly opened facility..."Yea, we goy a nice large and significant (naming rights) donation to kick the campaign off, and then filled it in with a few small $5MM donations".  Yep...$5million donation = small???? And, yes, I heard that comment!

NOPE...not a "glorified horse arena". 

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Pleasantly surprised, I hope.    
I suppose he is championing a baseball program as Mr. Goldfield did before.  I would anticipate this donor to be a significant donor to that project.

Indeed pleasantly!  One reason they are flying around in this guy's plane is that he has indicated a willingness to make a sizeable contribution to this multi-sport indoor practice facility...AND to baseball.  So, yep...pleasantly indeed!

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Pssht!  Jerry Jones just built one in Frisco about 30-35 minutes East.  They couldn't have just driven over there and asked him a question or two?

The other thing I find laughable is that they have to spend money to go look at these things in person...as if none of them has ever seen one or been inside of one before.  Like they are a busload of Japanese tourists. 

Pointless.  Littrell and Baker have surely been in a dozen of these facilities before.  It isn't rocket science.  It's a little building, usually shaped like a small airplane hanger, with a football field and some office inside, perhaps a weight room.  These things are not earth-shattering pieces of architecture and engineering. 

And, to Lifer's point, I was within a ball hair of just posting a picture of Bear Bryant at the thought of a Texas football school wanting to shield it's team from the heat.  

It's things like this that convince me we are not evolving or adapting.  Far from.  Our grandfathers, grandmothers, and great grandfathers, and great grandmothers toiled in the sun on farms scratching out existences and feeding the nation.  And, they did it in the blistering heat, the withering wind, a through piles of snow, harvesting crops and tending to livestock, 365 days a year - no vacations, no sick days, no pension, no health care benefits, and no minimum wage.

But, here we are just four or so decades removed from it, and we're trying to prevent football players - not ballet dancers, football players - from having the sun touch their skin for too long and to keep them from being in the heat for an hour or two.

I'm here to tell you that my ancestors who lived into their 80s and 90s in spite of their "hard living" conditions will likely outlive most of this cupcakey generation of Americans.

Pete's pepper!  I'll bet Bear didn't even give the Junction Boys any sun screen!

There is one of TFLF usual, incoherent rants. He's back!!!

Edited by GreenMachine
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Rick

It's called due diligence. The trip destinations appear to have been carefully and strategically planned to see a nice assortment of newly constructed indoor practice facilities at a variety of universities. It is extremely small time thinking on your part to be critical of this type of trip, which on the surface, looks to be the first time we've done "big time" due diligence and research like this. I'm not certain how that's not encouraging and positive?

But they are horse arenas and we should be looking at high school facilities...

5 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

I guess they could build it where the intramural fields are located.

Or the existing practice field(s). 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, UNT Mean Green said:

I doubt that as those fields couldn't be used during the duration of the construction project, plus you'll likely then lose the option to practice on a grass field. I don't recall what the length of the practice fields is but if we go with a 100-yard field, the existing practice fields might not be long enough. Putting the IPF next to one of the fields also presents a challenge widthwise.

• Downvote 1

5 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Ain'tcho money.

4 hours ago, GMG24 said:

He probably also knows that if Football aint making money (ala winning games, selling tickets, merchandise and concessions) then baseball will be a sinking ship because the Football program supports all other athletics in the NCAA.  Very few turn a profit, causing them to rely on money from football to keep programs afloat.  I assume he knows that and is ready to do what is necessary for football to be successful, then add baseball once that ship is fixed.  Just a guess on my part. 

Lovelace is on the baseball committee, and looks like he played baseball at New Mexico as well.

Also, it would be good for them to get Football up and going before baseball, as it on avg. about a 2.5M drain on the AD Budget, in terms of recruiting, field maintance, flying, etc.. But what is nice, is that UNT would/could have a closer rivals in DBU and others as well around the area.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, UNT Mean Green said:

It's called due diligence. The trip destinations appear to have been carefully and strategically planned to see a nice assortment of newly constructed indoor practice facilities at a variety of universities. It is extremely small time thinking on your part to be critical of this type of trip, which on the surface, looks to be the first time we've done "big time" due diligence and research like this. I'm not certain how that's not encouraging and positive?

But they are horse arenas and we should be looking at high school facilities...

I never said it wasn't encouraging and I'm not being critical.  I'm pointing out an unnecessary expense regardless of who is footing the bill.  

This department has been poor stewards of other people's money for years.  Our audit last year showed just how badly this department had been run into the ground and how wasteful it was with resources...resources paid for mostly from the pockets of our students.  I'm simply pointing out what looks to me as another unneeded expense ok'd by the same group running things the previous 15 years.  

And isn't it funny...the same group of enabling, RV-stroking rubes here on gmg that criticized the few of us for pointing out such things the previous 15 years...are the same ones questioning me today.

Again....I want us to have an IPF also.  I just hope we're smart about it.  

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6