FIRE BENFORD NOW!

UNTLifer

He has not shown the ability to coach college basketball in 4+ years.  Fire him and let Evans, Andrew or the coach of the intramural champions take over for the remainder of this year.  He is an embarrassment to North Texas and the young men on our team deserve better.

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 3

11 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

I'd be really curious t know how many times someone has started this exact thread over the last five years

First for the new AD.  Honestly, last night just pissed me off.  We can't beat Sun Belt or Southland teams, which is inexcusable especially after what JJ left him to work with and build on.  He has ruined this program.  Why young men want to sign up and play for him is beyond me.  Now recruiting will suffer because we have a coach that is lame duck and won't be here next year.  Time for change is now.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

Time for a change was 4 years ago. The damage to this program is catastrophic. It will take attendance years to get back to the 2011 levels, and that is with consistent winning basketball teams. Thanks, Hattiesburg Hustler. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 10
  • Downvote 4

32 minutes ago, GreenMachine said:

Nope, Benford is out of here anyway, no need for your infamous banner.

As a participant in that hallowed effort, I represent that!

But you're also right. This season is a sunk cost, IMO. All effort should be focused on finding, hiring and building the new staff.

It has now been four years since I last set foot in the SuperPit...and I look forward to being there next November.

Edited by EagleMBA
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Time for a change was 4 years ago. The damage to this program is catastrophic. It will take attendance years to get back to the 2011 levels, and that is with consistent winning basketball teams. Thanks, Hattiesburg Hustler. 

You are absolutely correct.  RV led us to believe either there wasn't money to buy him out, or he just needed more time.  Both reasons are ridiculous because keeping Benford has cost us much more in attendance revenue than his buyout.  Add in the time it will take to recover the fans he ran off and the $$$ loses just mount.  Keeping him when everyone else knew he was a lost cause was just RV trying to protect his image and not admitting to another poor hire.  The result will be 5+ years of terribly coached teams, lost revenue, lost fan interest, lost student interest and damage to our recruiting.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

23 hours ago, GreenMachine said:

Nope, Benford is out of here anyway, no need for your infamous banner.

"Infamous banner?" I didn't know it was famous in any context.

Also, it wasn't "my banner," it was a banner funded by a group of about 20 donors who were frustrated with a culture that accepted losing, and accepted it in epic proportions. I was just willing to post a gofundme and call a banner place once the money was raised. About an hour worth of work. 

I also wouldn't be so sure Benford is out of here at the end of the year. For that to happen, the biggest supporter of the basketball program will have to change his mind about him. Will that happen? We shall see.

EDIT: 22 donors. Don't want to shortchange anyone who helped change the course of UNT athletics...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 6

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

You are absolutely correct.  RV led us to believe either there wasn't money to buy him out, or he just needed more time.  Both reasons are ridiculous because keeping Benford has cost us much more in attendance revenue than his buyout.  Add in the time it will take to recover the fans he ran off and the $$$ loses just mount.  Keeping him when everyone else knew he was a lost cause was just RV trying to protect his image and not admitting to another poor hire.  The result will be 5+ years of terribly coached teams, lost revenue, lost fan interest, lost student interest and damage to our recruiting.

The only plus that is that Prez did not let RV hire a coach! Look forward to Wrens new hire!

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

I am on board for saying the TB needs to move on......just hasn't proven he can get the job done.  But we still need to show-up to the games to support the players that go out every night and do the best they can with what they have.  We have some good players; they just need somebody to put them in a position to win.  Boycotting the players and games does not support the effort to get TB fired, it hurts the program as a whole.  I hate losing as much as the next guy, but make as many games as I can to show support for the program.  Why would any kid want to come see UNT play with less fans than their HS or JC will bring in?  Losing will get TB fire, not the lack of a crowd.......  Let's fill the stadium every game and show the team we are behind them.....  That will also help attract a new coach..... 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

52 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

I am on board for saying the TB needs to move on......just hasn't proven he can get the job done.  But we still need to show-up to the games to support the players that go out every night and do the best they can with what they have.  We have some good players; they just need somebody to put them in a position to win.  Boycotting the players and games does not support the effort to get TB fired, it hurts the program as a whole.  I hate losing as much as the next guy, but make as many games as I can to show support for the program.  Why would any kid want to come see UNT play with less fans than their HS or JC will bring in?  Losing will get TB fire, not the lack of a crowd.......  Let's fill the stadium every game and show the team we are behind them.....  That will also help attract a new coach..... 

Gonna have to disagree with you on this.

If anyone is paying attention (and I'd bet someone is now) a quick glance at the plummeting attendance numbers would be a major strike against Benford. It could be argued that every possible data point against retaining Benford any longer is beneficial to the program in the long term. Every possible data point might be necessary since despite all reasonable standards he's still here after losing 20 games twice in his first four seasons.

Additionally, Benford has a bonus in his contract tied to season ticket numbers. Not buying or renewing season tickets can, IMO, quite fairly be used as a fan's vote of no confidence since the AD is using it as a metric of success.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

Gonna have to disagree with you on this.

If anyone is paying attention (and I'd bet someone is now) a quick glance at the plummeting attendance numbers would be a major strike against Benford. It could be argued that every possible data point against retaining Benford any longer is beneficial to the program in the long term. Every possible data point might be necessary since despite all reasonable standards he's still here after losing 20 games twice in his first four seasons.

Additionally, Benford has a bonus in his contract tied to season ticket numbers. Not buying or renewing season tickets can, IMO, quite fairly be used as a fan's vote of no confidence since the AD is using it as a metric of success.

I would counter that this AD has his own plans for our future and ways of getting there.  WB has done a nice job so far in putting things in place the UNT to succeed in total.....all in less than 6 months on the job.  How does an empty arena help seal the deal in firing TB?  Its not that BB is a huge profit center anyway.  If a recruit, or potential recruit comes to see a game, and there is nobody in the stadium, then goes over to SMU, or UTA or tCU, or La Tech...(name the school), and there are fans there making it a fun experience.  We have a responsibility as supports to support the program....that is my thoughts.  Let the AD take care of the rest.....Cant judge WB by RV's actions...not fair at all....

1 minute ago, UNT Five&Dime said:

201512_1933_gdcge_sm.jpg

DAAANNGGGG!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

I would counter that this AD has his own plans for our future and ways of getting there.  WB has done a nice job so far in putting things in place the UNT to succeed in total.....all in less than 6 months on the job.  How does an empty arena help seal the deal in firing TB?  Its not that BB is a huge profit center anyway.  If a recruit, or potential recruit comes to see a game, and there is nobody in the stadium, then goes over to SMU, or UTA or tCU, or La Tech...(name the school), and there are fans there making it a fun experience.  We have a responsibility as supports to support the program....that is my thoughts.  Let the AD take care of the rest.....Cant judge WB by RV's actions...not fair at all....

DAAANNGGGG!!!

Benford is still here. I think it's more than fair for fans to stay home until he's gone.

Men's basketball is one of two sports that some schools can actually make money and in the case a UNT, lose the least amount of money.

Recruits are far more likely to be concerned about committing to a coach that doesn't develop talent, loses far more than he wins, and isn't likely to be here next year than they are going to be put off by small crowds watching bad basketball. 

I can judge the department that has retained this failure years longer than reasonable. They just trumpeted the increase in football attendance on Twitter. If he can finally get rid of Benford and fans start to come back then he can trumpet that improvement as well. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

48 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

Benford is still here. I think it's more than fair for fans to stay home until he's gone.

Is that fair to the players?  It seems to be they still deserve our support even in this most desperate of times.

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

Is that fair to the players?  It seems to be they still deserve our support even in this most desperate of times.

Was it fair to the players that almost no one went to the last home football game last season?

It's not like the players had nothing to do with either situation...

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Does firing him now do something that firing him closer to the end of the season doesn't? Just don't see the point in shaking things up now if there is no benefit besides making us feel good. I don't see the team being more competitive in conference play given how we have played to this point, so its not like he has any real chance of keeping his job.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, forevereagle said:

Does firing him now do something that firing him closer to the end of the season doesn't? Just don't see the point in shaking things up now if there is no benefit besides making us feel good. I don't see the team being more competitive in conference play given how we have played to this point, so its not like he has any real chance of keeping his job.

This +1.  Wren made the decision to give him the season to evaluate and will make a decision after.  I think fans have the right to voice their concerns to Wren or not buy tickets.  I think Wren is deserving of our support of his decision on this.