FIRE BENFORD NOW!

UNTLifer

6 minutes ago, forevereagle said:

Does firing him now do something that firing him closer to the end of the season doesn't? Just don't see the point in shaking things up now if there is no benefit besides making us feel good. I don't see the team being more competitive in conference play given how we have played to this point, so its not like he has any real chance of keeping his job.

Not just that but who on the coaching staff is capable of serving interim head coach? I know people will obviously point to Rob Evans but I think he is there more for Benford than anything else. The next obvious coach on the staff is Dan O'Dawd.

I doubt the team would do any better and would likely do worse if Benford were to be fired now as opposed to closer to or at the end of the season. Even if he were to be fired today it's unlikely a search for a new coach would get started until after the season has concluded anyway so the only possible "benefit" would be to get our name out there sooner to possible candidates.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, forevereagle said:

Does firing him now do something that firing him closer to the end of the season doesn't? Just don't see the point in shaking things up now if there is no benefit besides making us feel good. I don't see the team being more competitive in conference play given how we have played to this point, so its not like he has any real chance of keeping his job.

First bolded portion: provides certainty that we are finally removing the albatross.

Second bolded portion: I thought the same thing last season when he lost 20 games again, but this time in year 4 of a 5 year contract. He's made it this far and I won't  believe he really, finally, gone until he's gone and a new head coach is hired.

35 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Not just that but who on the coaching staff is capable of serving interim head coach? I know people will obviously point to Rob Evans but I think he is there more for Benford than anything else. The next obvious coach on the staff is Dan O'Dawd.

I doubt the team would do any better and would likely do worse if Benford were to be fired now as opposed to closer to or at the end of the season. Even if he were to be fired today it's unlikely a search for a new coach would get started until after the season has concluded anyway so the only possible "benefit" would be to get our name out there sooner to possible candidates.

Buzzkill.

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

First bolded portion: provides certainty that we are finally removing the albatross.

Second bolded portion: I thought the same thing last season when he lost 20 games again, but this time in year 4 of a 5 year contract. He's made it this far and I won't  believe he really, finally, gone until he's gone and a new head coach is hired.

So to make the fans feel better is the reason?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

30 minutes ago, forevereagle said:

So to make the fans feel better is the reason?

I don't really disagree with your other points, just disagree that their is "no benefit" & "no real chance of keeping his job".

Everyone has to know he should be gone, and is almost certainly gone at some point between now and April. The players are playing like they have already tuned him out so there might be some additional benefit other than "just" finally assuring the fanbase the Bendord era is over. 

Also, did you think Benford would be back after last season?

Edited by Army of Dad

14 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

I don't really disagree with your other points, just disagree that their is "no benefit" & "no real chance of keeping his job".

Everyone has to know he should be gone, and is almost certainly gone at some point between now and April. The players are playing like they have already tuned him out so there might be some additional benefit other than "just" finally assuring the fanbase the Bendord era is over. 

NT is currently 0-5 against teams with a winning record at the time the contest takes place. Next best chance to beat someone with a winning record will be Tuesday (SE Louisiana 6-5) followed by Thursday (USD 6-5). I don't have much confidence that NT can beat any teams in CUSA that currently have winning records.

TEAM             CONF	GB	OVR
Middle Tenn ..... --	--	10-2
Rice ............ --	--	8-3
La Tech	......... --	--	7-4
Charlotte ....... --	--	6-4
Marshall ........ --	--	6-4
Old Dominion .... --	--	6-4
UAB ............. --	--	6-5
North Texas ..... --	--	5-5
Southern Miss ... --	--	3-5
Western Kentucky  --	--	4-7
Florida Atlantic  --	--	3-6
UT San Antonio .. --	--	3-8
Florida Intl .... --	--	3-9
UTEP ............ --	--	2-7

1 hour ago, Ryan Munthe said:

IMO, the damage is done. Deal with the issues at the end of the year.

1 hour ago, Ryan Munthe said:

IMO, the damage is done. Deal with the issues at the end of the year.

the mean time....Go To The Games!!!!  Support the players....most of whom will be here next year with the new coach!!!!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 6

14 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

NT is currently 0-5 against teams with a winning record at the time the contest takes place. Next best chance to beat someone with a winning record will be Tuesday (SE Louisiana 6-5) followed by Thursday (USD 6-5). I don't have much confidence that NT can beat any teams in CUSA that currently have winning records.

Yeah, but I think we will beat one of them. We seem to have at least one "lucky" win each year. 

2 hours ago, Army of Dad said:

I really don't see how he keeps his job, but I also don't see what letting him go accomplishes. We probably don't win any more games than we otherwise would have, but may lose more. As was pointed out, there is not really a coach to turn to to take over.

I would guess that the decision has been made that he will not continue to be the coach here, but Baker is not likely to say so until the ax finally falls. If I were betting, I would guess that we do it in February. It happens at a time when the season has already been decided and puts us at the front of the line to sell the program to potential coaches. We can begin to have agent conversations and get ahead of other programs. 

I thought that there was a possibility since we had already let go of Peterson and Mac. RV didn't want to fire all three of his revenue sports coaches in a year since his own job was on shaky ground and that would give additional ammunition, as if much was needed. I was hopeful, but I also was (sadly) not overly surprised. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Why are you so angry?

Not angry at all, merely asking you a question since you have posted that it is 100% Ernies decision to keep Benford or not. Kinda undermines WB's authority and because you have mentioned it 5+ times recently, I figured you had a good reliable source.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, GreenMachine said:

Not angry at all, merely asking you a question since you have posted that it is 100% Ernies decision to keep Benford or not. Kinda undermines WB's authority and because you have mentioned it 5+ times recently, I figured you had a good reliable source.

I have a very good source. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

4 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

I'm sure we'll get a couple decent home wins in conference at some point, but the road games are the real question.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, GreenMachine said:

Don't we all. Well, your source is wrong because no way in hell WB and Smatty keep Benford after this season. We can revisit this thread after the season.

That's your opinion. What Ernie wants, Ernie gets, especially UNT basketball is concerned.

Believe it, don't believe it. Don't care.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 7

29 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

That's your opinion. What Ernie wants, Ernie gets, especially UNT basketball is concerned.

I have to believe someone with the $ Ernie does, that he is tired of this garbage product.  Surely WB can sit him down show him 8-10 coaches he could bring in right away and improve our program.  Something Ernie could again be proud of.  If not, surely WB can find the donors in bball to match ernies giving if he packs up and leaves.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

41 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

I'm not doubting you or asking you to reveal your sources.  (A lot of us have been hearing rumors of Ernie's affinity for Benford for years.) But, what could Ernie possibly be getting out of his undying Benford support at this point?  

I ask this while tentatively believing that we will have a winning season of some sort  this year but that Benford will still not do enough to atone for the failures of the past four years.

• Upvote 1