Guess I'm Not the Only Idiot

Caw Caw

While I knew this would stir the pot, I didn't expect this to be the hot-button issue it is lol. As i've said before, I'm happy for any sound and engagement that comes from inside our stadium on game day. Who cares if it's silly? if other people like it, it engages them and all is in order under the Athletic umbrella, why kill people's enthusiasm? There's not enough of it around the program.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 5

20 hours ago, Eagle-96 said:

No. Last years record was f'ing embarrassing. Benford's tenure at UNT is f'ing embarrassing. Our Endowment is f'ing embarrassing. 

We complain when we don't market and we complain when we do. 

200.gif#130

Agree with everything you said. But, must we, as an institution look and sound like idiots when we don't even know the sound our mascot makes? Should we change from an eagle to a crow? 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

Agree with everything you said. But, must we, as an institution look and sound like idiots when we don't even know the sound our mascot makes? Should we change from an eagle to a crow? 

I think we know the sound an eagle makes(and yes it does not caw). But the caw is already out there and students and the admin have already run with it. It's really hard to get the paint back in the can when you spill the whole thing on the garage floor. The powers that be have finally decided to market this program a bit and I will sit back and say, "maybe not the greatest effort but thanks, and here's how we can make it better in the future".

200.gif#1

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Won't be a popular opinion, but I have to say that I agree with meanrob and Caw, in that I find the issue harmless, and if the students pick it up and run with it, then fine. 

As a lover of puns and dad jokes alike, I'm in, as well.  I got a chuckle out of the "Find Your CAAAWS" at UNT" billboards, so this one is right there with it.

The other thing I'm in agreement with--if it doesn't work, it will go away.  If it does--then all the better for UNT.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

I just don't understand why we must try and imitate any sort of animal sounds to accompany our throwing up/flashing a Talon. As someone has pointed out earlier, Longhorn fans don't mooo, Aggies don't make a "gig" sound (unless whoop! is it....my wife suggested that maybe we could go WHOOPS in unison, we do it enough individually), Alabama fans don't trumpet like an Elephant, Baylor fans don't growl, and TCU fans don't spit blood.....whatever sound is associated with that......splat! perhaps? AND I have never heard the fans of any team who's mascot is the Tiger, Lion, Puma, or Wildcat try to make a growling sound. The Arkansas fans are calling the pigs, they are not trying to grunt/snort/squeal like a pig.

They obviously have much more common sense than whoever is promoting this stupid CAW stuff.

addendum: Someone also mentioned Husky fans "barking". Even that is incorrect. Huskys do bark some, but mainly they break out into a wolf-like howl. The rest of the time they are quiet. 

addendum(2). Come to think of it, maybe we should CAW. After all, it's one of the most irritating bird sounds in nature. Much like North Texas fans.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

Not sure about some of yall's experience with the "Caw" but when I hear it ...........it is in jest.  It has NEVER been portrayed as a symbol of school pride with the exception apparently being by our own young Talons and University guides.  Just because those idiots are teaching our freshmen to do it doesn't make it right. 

"Come See The Mf'in Eagles beat down Army in the HOD!"

I mean if it sticks right?  Get that on a billboard post-haste! 

On 12/15/2016 at 2:08 PM, Eagle-96 said:

I can spell it. It goes:

smuwillbesittingathomethisbowlseasonandtheirbillboardlookslikeablanksheetofpaperweontheotherhandwillbeplayinginthebestcasescenariobowlshortofthecfpandallmostpeoplecandoiscomplainabthattheydontlikethebillboardtoutingtheheartofdallasbowlappearanceagainstateamevencasualfanshaveheardof

At least that's i think how you spell it.

Part of UNT's problem is the line of thinking you just illustrated. Who should actually give a damn what SMU is doing? All of you that bring up SMU before UNT's actual achievement embarrass our school more than any ad campaign. I'm so sick of this SMU bs.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Whoever came up with 'Caw' or has gone along with it must have never seen and heard an eagle, whether live or on video. That is just sad.  I think the reason for concern about it being officially promoted, is that the more people become aware of it, the more people will think NT is just sad. We've had enough of that. When I see that there is a billboard like that, it makes me feel sad, and hopeless. Same reaction as #Dentoning.  Sad.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Aquila_Viridis said:

Whoever came up with 'Caw' or has gone along with it must have never seen and heard an eagle, whether live or on video. That is just sad.  I think the reason for concern about it being officially promoted, is that the more people become aware of it, the more people will think NT is just sad. We've had enough of that. When I see that there is a billboard like that, it makes me feel sad, and hopeless. Same reaction as #Dentoning.  Sad.

Or just stupid because we think eagles sound like crows.

19 hours ago, Eagle-96 said:

I think we know the sound an eagle makes(and yes it does not caw). But the caw is already out there and students and the admin have already run with it. It's really hard to get the paint back in the can when you spill the whole thing on the garage floor. The powers that be have finally decided to market this program a bit and I will sit back and say, "maybe not the greatest effort but thanks, and here's how we can make it better in the future".

200.gif#1

So, if we all know the sound an eagle makes, how and why did we start making the sound of a crow. It just stupid.

On 12/15/2016 at 1:51 PM, Ben Gooding said:

Wtf is in charge of marketing/advertising. This is pitiful and needs to immediately be taken down. Meanwhile, our goofy ass looking prez is out marketing our horrible attempt to market. Fml. 

Dude, go easy on our beloved President. He may be misinformed, but he is our greatest ally.

• Upvote 3