For the 2 percenters

Harry

I have read a couple of posts from fans disappointed about playing Army in the bowl game.  Instead of slamming you as a disloyal, out of touch fan, I would like to take a shot at reason:

- Bowl attendance = program power.  Last years HOD bowl brought in 20,229.  Our last game there we brought 40K and they were all ours.  That was a powerful showing for us and likely the main reason we got invited back again at 5-7.  Another good bowl showing will really make a statement that could help us infinitely in the future.

- This is only the 9th bowl game in the history of the North Texas football program, a history which goes back to 1913.  If you care about the program you certainly want to be able to say you were able to attend when they played in a bowl.

- Recruiting -- we will most certainly have some key DFW area recruits at this game and a good crowd will help us in regards to landing them.

- City of Dallas -- we are trying to build ties into the city, and having another good crowd at the Cotton Bowl venue and Fair Park will only build on that.

- Seth Littrell is only the 2nd UNT coach in all time to have a bowl team in his 1st season as coach.  The last one was Odus Mitchell.  We need to show him our support as he is only going to continue to build this team into the program we have hoped for.

- It's a cheap date!  Most fans have to get hotel, flights etc to follow their teams to bowl games.  This is a game you can easily drive to if you live in the area. 

These are just some of the reasons and I am sure there are many more. 

GMG

That makes to much sense Harry..

Plus Army and UNT are on the same level.. Army vs LAT isn't a even match up nor is Navy vs UNT... nor is Western Michigan vs UNT... We can only play who they put on the field.. and this is a chance for us to get another bowl W and something that could give us a ton of positive energy and vibes going into the recruiting season.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, Harry said:

I have read a couple of posts from fans disappointed about playing Army in the bowl game.  Instead of slamming you as a disloyal, out of touch fan, I would like to take a shot at reason:

- Bowl attendance = program power.  Last years HOD bowl brought in 20,229.  Our last game there we brought 40K and they were all ours.  That was a powerful showing for us and likely the main reason we got invited back again at 5-7.  Another good bowl showing will really make a statement that could help us infinitely in the future.

- This is only the 9th bowl game in the history of the North Texas football program, a history which goes back to 1913.  If you care about the program you certainly want to be able to say you were able to attend when they played in a bowl.

- Recruiting -- we will most certainly have some key DFW area recruits at this game and a good crowd will help us in regards to landing them.

- City of Dallas -- we are trying to build ties into the city, and having another good crowd at the Cotton Bowl venue and Fair Park will only build on that.

- Seth Littrell is only the 2nd UNT coach in all time to have a bowl team in his 1st season as coach.  The last one was Odus Mitchell.  We need to show him our support as he is only going to continue to build this team into the program we have hoped for.

- It's a cheap date!  Most fans have to get hotel, flights etc to follow their teams to bowl games.  This is a game you can easily drive to if you live in the area. 

These are just some of the reasons and I am sure there are many more. 

GMG

Positive Pub, Pub, Pub in our home market! You have to wonder how the players feel from last years team! Most handle the situation with class and continued support for the school! I don't think it is asking to much from UNT fans and alumni for the same! GMG 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Harry said:

Bowl attendance = program power.  Last years HOD bowl brought in 20,229.  Our last game there we brought 40K and they were all ours.  That was a powerful showing for us and likely the main reason we got invited back again at 5-7.  Another good bowl showing will really make a statement that could help us infinitely in the future.

Not buying this.  The local FBS fans that don't care about UNT football aren't going to pause for this.  It might help in the "extended" local area outside of DFW.  With all that said I would rather donate $50 to the MGC than go to this game, sorry.   The goal shouldn't be just to have the HoD committee fleece fans that won't come to Apogee next the season.  That is what happened last time.

And I will donate instead of going.  Wow 30+ down votes for telling the truth.  

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 9
  • Downvote 59

4 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

Not buying this.  The local FBS fans that don't care about UNT football aren't going to pause for this.  It might help in the "extended" local area outside of DFW.  With all that said I would rather donate $50 to the MGC than go to this game, sorry.

We're 5-7, get ahold of yourself.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

So for the players on the team that were there for the 2013 season, are they excited about returning to the HoD Bowl or do they wish they were going someplace different?  Question, no info.

Truthfully, they are probably just happy to be going to a bowl at all and don't care that it's a return performance for them.

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

Not buying this.  The local FBS fans that don't care about UNT football aren't going to pause for this.  It might help in the "extended" local area outside of DFW.  With all that said I would rather donate $50 to the MGC than go to this game, sorry.

Changing the culture has to start somewhere, and a bowl game is a great place to start. If we want our coaches to get a better reception when they are out recruiting (the best way for our W/L record to improve), we better show up and at least act like a legitimate FBS program. 

To use a parenting analogy, if you want your kids to do their best, both as students and citizens, then it starts with you doing your best as parents. AND the most important part of parenting (besides unconditional love, modeling the behavior you value the most, and consistency) is ALWAYS SHOWING UP!

• Upvote 7

16 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

There's not even an ounce of You that wants to watch a college football game? A part of you that wants to have fun supporting your Mean Green?

no? If meaningful games are you're only interest, what are your metrics, and which games did you pick this season?

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

The university thanks you for your cash...but for 50 bucks you could actually go to the game...

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I am not sure why anyone thinks someone that is not happy with the bowl opponent is somehow disloyal and likewise assume that that person is not going to support NT.   All of your valid points really have nothing to do with playing a team the second  time, but rather point out the benefits of playing a bowl and it being in Dallas.   

I will attend just like the other 5 remotely recent NT bowls.  However, I do not like the opponent choice.  It has nothing to do with Army, but rather the fact that we played them this year and will play them next year.  

NT has absolutely nothing to do with the selection, I assume those decisions are left up to ESPN and the bowls.  Therefore I wonder why anyone takes so much exception to those that are less than ecstatic about playing the same team twice in a year.  

What he said. Now rain your -1's all upon me.

The defeated and weathered UNT fans are the one's getting ecstatic over this. My standards for this program are much higher and to hell with previous years and our history of irrelevance. The only thing that currently resonates with me is the backwoods curb stomping we received to the hands of a 3-8 team. Not this bowl invitation. Js. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 33

12 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

The defeated and weathered UNT fans are the one's getting ecstatic over this. My standards for this program are much higher and to hell with previous years and our history of irrelevance. The only thing that currently resonates with me is the backwoods curb stomping we received to the hands of a 3-8 team. Not this bowl invitation. Js. 

I've received 20 to 30 minus ones today for essentially saying the same thing he said minus the part where he says he'll be at the game lol. I support my school and always will but some things are out of my control. This is the busiest time of the year for my industry and I can't justify taking a day off work 4 days before 1/1 open enrollment to go see a bowl game against an opponent we've already played this year and will play every year through 2021. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 14

24 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

You could always go to the basketball blog!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I've received 20 to 30 minus ones today for essentially saying the same thing he said minus the part where he says he'll be at the game lol. I support my school and always will but some things are out of my control. This is the busiest time of the year for my industry and I can't justify taking a day off work 4 days before 1/1 open enrollment to go see a bowl game against an opponent we've already played this year and will play every year through 2021. 

I trust you'd have taken off to play notable opponents Idaho, Georgia Southern, or  South Alabama.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Really it came down to Army or Navy and  its right for La Tech to draw the better team of the two and thus we get the rematch.  I'd much rather play Army than Navy at this point anyways.  

Did Alabama or LSU complain when they had to play a rematch in their bowl game a few years ago?!?!  This is the same, right? 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

49 minutes ago, greenminer said:

There's not even an ounce of You that wants to watch a college football game? A part of you that wants to have fun supporting your Mean Green?

no? If meaningful games are you're only interest, what are your metrics, and which games did you pick this season?

I only missed Southern Miss game and that was not by choice.  I also went to 2 watch game parties this year for road games.  And I went several meaningless games at Apogee last year.  Maybe I should be more specific; I am not interested in the meaningless rematch in the same season.   

45 minutes ago, THOR said:

The university thanks you for your cash...but for 50 bucks you could actually go to the game...

No when you count parking or use DART. (Dart cost minimal but when you car is broken into like it was for the SMU game when I used it last year...)  And $50 seats are end zone  seat in stadium that pales in comparison to Apogee.  I find it ironic that people piss all over the idea of having a meaningful annual rivalry game in the Cotton Bowl in season during the State Fair think a "bowl" game there in bad weather with nothing going on in Fair Park is awesome.  Also to duplicate the view I purchase for Apogee home games the cost for this game is more than double $35 Apogee Sideline - $75 HoD Bowl Sideline.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 9

6 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I trust you'd have taken off to play notable opponents Idaho, Georgia Southern, or  South Alabama.

Like I said, not up to me at this time of the year. For any of those I would have tried. If you had read any of the posts of those who aren't happy with the opponent, you would have learned that it has nothing to do with Army's reputation. It has to do with the fact that we'll see them every year through 2021. Part of the fun with bowl games is matching teams up with opponents they don't play on a regular basis. That aspect was completely ignored here.

2 minutes ago, tmjerm said:

Really it came down to Army or Navy and  its right for La Tech to draw the better team of the two and thus we get the rematch.  I'd much rather play Army than Navy at this point anyways.  

Did Alabama or LSU complain when they had to play a rematch in their bowl game a few years ago?!?!  This is the same, right? 

Hahahahaa no! They played for the national championship. Stop being so naive. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2