Should we be worried?

TheReal_jayD

42 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

This is, and this was something that was brought up by many during this hire, the issue with bringing on almost an entire staff compromised of former P5 employees. At their old job they didn't really know how to get their hands dirty in the recruiting game. They are finding out that this is work here in the G5 realm, particularly at North Texas. 

*Same could kind of be said about all these new hires in the AD. 

sigh 

I mean Littrell has been at Indiana, Arizona, and UNC. Not exactly football powerhouses and huge destinations for football players. It has nothing to do with being at P5s before. Frank Wilson of UTSA was at one of the top programs in the country in LSU and he seems to be doing just fine recruiting to a G5. I think our guys are either just getting beat because they aren't as good or they aren't focused 100% on it yet. I guess we'll see. Regardless they need to up the tempo.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I mean Littrell has been at Indiana, Arizona, and UNC. Not exactly football powerhouses and huge destinations for football players. It has nothing to do with being at P5s before. Frank Wilson of UTSA was at one of the top programs in the country in LSU and he seems to be doing just fine recruiting to a G5. I think our guys are either just getting beat because they aren't as good or they aren't focused 100% on it yet. I guess we'll see. Regardless they need to up the tempo.

Still P5 and still, in theory, easier to recruit to in comparison to what is perceived by many to be a cellar dwelling CUSA team. But we still have FAR more to offer than the #1 ranked recruiting class in CUSA. 

Frank Wilson has high school roots. 

• Upvote 1

With the Baylor hire it could mean more competition for our recruits. Let's face it top rated talent is going to have a tough time signing with Baylor with all the unknowns. So he will have move a little lower down the food chain to find players that don't have P5 offers.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

A team can win with mid-tier ranked talent, but it doesn't happen enough for me to automatically give SL the benefit of the doubt. I would like to see more PR wins in recruiting now, but I do think there is some value in having a good season to sell to parents and players. Ex: recruit taking a late cycle visit or communicating with current staff/players now means they are taking to a team excited about bowling and having fun. That is useful. Not the only selling point, but a useful one.

I agree that a large part of this is selling  and I think Seth Littrell is probably not the best pitchman.  

Although Frank Wilson is getting talent in, it doesn't necessarily mean they'll win very often, or that these guys will pan out, or that they'll qualify, etc etc. The same criticisms we have of Littrell -- questionable offense, soft schedule inflating wins -- can be applied to UTSA, also. 

UTSA won with more of Coker's dudes than not -- returning starting senior QB! -- and had a soft schedule also. NT, Charlotte, Rice, a MTSU that lost Stockstill, and an up-and-down Southern Miss that didn't show up. 

His big Q was always his use of talent, not if he could get them to play well. I know there is disagreement here, but I think Littrell got a lot from the limited offensive depth chart he had. 24 points per game is more than what the previous staff got out of a deeper, fully recruited chart. 

TL;DR = I am a little concerned, but I think there is a chance Littrell still is the better coach but poorer recruiter and guys like Wilson are poorer coaches though better recruiters. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Wow, did our coaching/recruiting staff tweet this out? 

This goes with the theme of what people paying attention have been saying. We are getting torn to shreds on the recruiting trail. I guess this staff thinks recruits are just going to flock to them? I hope this is not how they are recruiting. This is, and this was something that was brought up by many during this hire, the issue with bringing on almost an entire staff compromised of former P5 employees. At their old job they didn't really know how to get their hands dirty in the recruiting game. They are finding out that this is work here in the G5 realm, particularly at North Texas. 

*Same could kind of be said about all these new hires in the AD. 

sigh 

No UNT did not tweet out.. some UNT fan recruiting site did.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

It's great seeing recruits looking at the page, but whoever is running it is bashing UNT non stop and trying to get the recruiting staff fired than keeping us informed and help display the school to recruits... 

What page are you talking about?

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

What page are you talking about?

The twitter page @northtexaseagle, someone had posted a tweet from this twitter account... but look at the # of recruits that follow it. Bashing and hating on the coaches for not getting commits makes the staff look bad and makes the recruits wonder as well. It should be showcasing the opportunities and what is offered by UNT, not asking to have people fired(which now those tweets have been deleted).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

The twitter page @northtexaseagle, someone had posted a tweet from this twitter account... but look at the # of recruits that follow it. Bashing and hating on the coaches for not getting commits makes the staff look bad and makes the recruits wonder as well. It should be showcasing the opportunities and what is offered by UNT, not asking to have people fired(which now those tweets have been deleted).

This is not good.

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

This is not good.

1 hour ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Nope it isn't and the bashing had been going on a week or 2... whoever is running it hopefully that have a come to Jesus moment since this is the dead period. A lot of kids are now digging deeper into the schools and narrow down lists..

Yeah this is a terrible tweet

Don't think a twitter handle is going to swing a decision.

28 minutes ago, Aldo said:

Yeah this is a terrible tweet

Don't think a twitter handle is going to swing a decision.

It wasn't that tweet, the tweets have since now been deleted after posts on this thread, but this twitter handle went on with a UTSA fan trashing/bashing about UNT and recruiting. Talking about replacing the recruiting coordinator/ graphic design teams, etc to give the Coaches gas money to go visit campuses.

It may not be a huge factor but look at # of our recruits that's follow it. It could put doubts into their mind if/when someone else comes a calling or visiting.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

It wasn't that tweet, the tweets have since now been deleted after posts on this thread, but this twitter handle went on with a UTSA fan trashing/bashing about UNT and recruiting. Talking about replacing the recruiting coordinator/ graphic design teams, etc to give the Coaches gas money to go visit campuses.

It may not be a huge factor but look at # of our recruits that's follow it. It could put doubts into their mind if/when someone else comes a calling or visiting.

It's a dude tweeting that has no official affiliation.

It's not going to factor in recruiting, and assuming it does really is unfair to a recruit's intelligence.

We can find more impactful things to be concerned about.

Edited by Aldo

2 minutes ago, Aldo said:

It's a dude tweeting that has no official affiliation.

It's not going to factor in recruiting, and assuming it does really is unfair to a recruit's intelligence.

We can find more impactful things to be concerned about.

Once again, this should be used to promote UNT not bash it nor the staff. This account can say whatever it wants but planting these small seeds can hurt. You gotta remember these are high school kids, and how it was when you were in school. You hear a rumor or hear it and makes you have a seed of doubt. Not saying this will lead to kids leaving, but you have enough things it could impact where they go.

Also, with the people on here complaining about the lack of effort made by coaches, I'm not seeing these people donating/paying for other designers to make stuff for these recruits.. 

but again, since this has been missed.. this isn't a big deal but it should be meant to promote the school and team not bash it, tagging people to be fired. 

11 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Once again, this should be used to promote UNT not bash it nor the staff. This account can say whatever it wants but planting these small seeds can hurt. You gotta remember these are high school kids, and how it was when you were in school. You hear a rumor or hear it and makes you have a seed of doubt. Not saying this will lead to kids leaving, but you have enough things it could impact where they go.

Also, with the people on here complaining about the lack of effort made by coaches, I'm not seeing these people donating/paying for other designers to make stuff for these recruits.. 

It should be used for whatever that person wants. It's their own Twitter account and they can tweet what they want.

The coaches get paid to recruit, and we pay to consume the end product. That's why their supposed lack of effort in recruiting is complained about. 

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

It should be used for whatever that person wants. It's their own Twitter account and they can tweet what they want.

The coaches get paid to recruit, and we pay to consume the end product. That's why their supposed lack of effort in recruiting is complained about. 

Do we honestly think the coaches aren't out recruiting? The efforts in recruiting isn't by the guy doing the player edits, it's by the coaches but yet they don't get tagged in the posts. We see high schools saying thanks to UNT for coming by within the past week or 2, just because a kid doesn't commit doesn't mean they aren't trying. These coaches are having to change entire campus mindset and how UNT is viewed throughout the state.

Also, if your going to bash UNT bring facts and actual ways to fix I to compared to stupid tweets, saying fire the graphics dealing guy for no new commits. But most of all, if it's meant to bash and trash UNT then do it in a private account and not one that would possibly add to recruits worries out in the public, and again bring a solution to the table! 

With people paying to consume a product, that see no results.. I'm not seeing people lining up to make donations left and right with the sole purpose of recruiting. I'm not seeing these people offering up student ticket donations, nor doing other things to aid these coaches either.. 

not trying to attack you or anyone @BillySee58but the bashin of UNT has to stop. We have to find what's I see wrong with UNT in terms of it being viewed by recruits, so it can be corrected in the future. The coaches are out or were out recruiting, but whatever they told kids wasn't clicking that is something we can complain about but this is a young staff that has only been around for 1 year. Yes, they need to produce but we need to find ways to aid and not potentially hurt them or undermine them. 

5 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

In response to the question in the thread title:

Yes, very.

I don't often agree but I'm worried as well, but I'm going to hold back the sky is falling till signing day. But I'm not going to call for coaches to be fired or replaced yet.. 

16 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Also, if your going to bash UNT bring facts and actual ways to fix I to compared to stupid tweets

It's a tweet. Who cares.

17 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

but the bashin of UNT has to stop.

It would be nice if it did, but it won't and doesn't have to.

Alabama is winning national championships and people still have things to complain about. People are gonna complain whether it's deserved or not.

If you want to counter it, follow your own advice and create your own twitter account (I'm not being facetious here).

Look at what Justin Fuente did at Memphis. He sat and waited on a lot of guys who were looking for more offers that didn't come for the first two years of his tenure before they started really winning. His first couple of recruiting classes weren't great and he got a guy by the name of Paxton Lynch who was only a 2 star recruit and turned into a first round draft choice. Now Memphis regularly battles with and beats out P5 schools for recruits

I wont be surprised if Littrell and Co follow suit. Year 3 has always been my Go to for really evaluating a coaching staff. I wont be surprised to see us improving exponentially in the next two seasons and really blowing the lid off of things.

Trust this staff. I guarantee you they know what they're doing

• Upvote 1