Should we be worried?

TheReal_jayD

1 minute ago, Aldo said:

It's a tweet. Who cares.

It would be nice if it did, but it won't and doesn't have to.

Alabama is winning national championships and people still have things to complain about. People are gonna complain whether it's deserved or not.

If you want to counter it, follow your own advice and create your own twitter account (I'm not being facetious here).

It is just a tweet, but again these things add up to recruits! When we all were younger we would find flaws and expose them way more than we should just to try and make ourselves look good for that one girl in class compared to the other guys. Colleges do that as well, and not saying they would use a tweet against us because it has nothing to do with the staff, but a recruit could read it and see oh maybe UNT doesn't have the budget for this or that like they say they do.

I'm not here to complain about the recruiting, I'm waiting till NSD for that. My complaint is people are here complaining, but they've offer nothing in terms of new ways to help change and just to bash the program. I could make my own and maybe I will, but this account went from promoting UNT in the past to now bashing it, so why the switch and whose running it? 

Also, I don't see Bama fans calling for the graphic design guy to be fired because some recruit picked another school like we do at UNT.. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

but this account went from promoting UNT in the past to now bashing it, so why the switch and whose running it? 

It's just a guy, and I am pretty certain that he hasn't had a change of heart. I complain after bad games just like any other fan.

Additionally, northtexaseagle shouldn't be the target of any of our frustrations.

But back to your point. Let's not complain about complainers, but at the same time let's not speculate how much someone can help because that's not fair, and we just don't know just how much they can help.

I will say recruiting isn't where we expected it to be (it isn't better than years past). But yes we need to wait till pen hits paper, though I certainly wish we didn't have to because we should already be winning recruiting battles.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Do we honestly think the coaches aren't out recruiting? The efforts in recruiting isn't by the guy doing the player edits, it's by the coaches but yet they don't get tagged in the posts. We see high schools saying thanks to UNT for coming by within the past week or 2, just because a kid doesn't commit doesn't mean they aren't trying. These coaches are having to change entire campus mindset and how UNT is viewed throughout the state.

Also, if your going to bash UNT bring facts and actual ways to fix I to compared to stupid tweets, saying fire the graphics dealing guy for no new commits. But most of all, if it's meant to bash and trash UNT then do it in a private account and not one that would possibly add to recruits worries out in the public, and again bring a solution to the table! 

With people paying to consume a product, that see no results.. I'm not seeing people lining up to make donations left and right with the sole purpose of recruiting. I'm not seeing these people offering up student ticket donations, nor doing other things to aid these coaches either.. 

not trying to attack you or anyone @BillySee58but the bashin of UNT has to stop. We have to find what's I see wrong with UNT in terms of it being viewed by recruits, so it can be corrected in the future. The coaches are out or were out recruiting, but whatever they told kids wasn't clicking that is something we can complain about but this is a young staff that has only been around for 1 year. Yes, they need to produce but we need to find ways to aid and not potentially hurt them or undermine them. 

I don't often agree but I'm worried as well, but I'm going to hold back the sky is falling till signing day. But I'm not going to call for coaches to be fired or replaced yet.. 

No one is calling for anyone to be fired, but we have seen this level of recruiting before and know to where it leads. 

I agree with you about waiting till February 1 to pass judgement, but that doesn't mean concern isn't warranted when a very active period of recruiting just passed with zero new commits. 

We shall see.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 6

1 minute ago, UNT90 said:

No one is calling for anyone to be fired, but we have seen this level of recruiting before and know to where it leads. 

I agree with you about waiting till February 1 to pass judgement, but that doesn't mean concern isn't warranted when a very active period of recruiting just passed with zero new recruits. 

We shall see.

I totally agree about the past few weeks without any new recruit,and  the firing part was in response to a tweet from someone on this site, and how that could affect possibly current recruits that follow that user.

We also have to remember, NSD is no lock.. We were in shock after we landed Cody Haynes and William Johnson, and they never arrived on campus then we landed Eric Jenkins along with a few other guys after NSD. Yes we can be happy/worried on NSD for the high school kids, but the full class won't be completed till the Fall. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I totally agree about the past few weeks without any new recruit,and  the firing part was in response to a tweet from someone on this site, and how that could affect possibly current recruits that follow that user.

We also have to remember, NSD is no lock.. We were in shock after we landed Cody Haynes and William Johnson, and they never arrived on campus then we landed Eric Jenkins along with a few other guys after NSD. Yes we can be happy/worried on NSD for the high school kids, but the full class won't be completed till the Fall. 

Good point. Particularly if this staff continues the pattern of blue-shirting. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Aldo said:

It's just a guy, and I am pretty certain that he hasn't had a change of heart. I complain after bad games just like any other fan.

Additionally, northtexaseagle shouldn't be the target of any of our frustrations.

But back to your point. Let's not complain about complainers, but at the same time let's not speculate how much someone can help because that's not fair, and we just don't know just how much they can help.

I will say recruiting isn't where we expected it to be (it isn't better than years past). But yes we need to wait till pen hits paper, though I certainly wish we didn't have to because we should already be winning recruiting battles.

I'm not saying we focus on that twitter user either, but that user could have hurt us... I'm not saying that they did, but just planting that seed to possibly grow is the problem. We shouldn't be frustrated at all right now. Yes, we don't have the # of recruits that we should but UNT does this alot and SL even pointed this out and Vito did as well in his recruiting post today. There will be plenty of kids that come NSD, that can't go to a school because that class filled up and we can pounce on them while UTSA and TXST are full. Yes its very risky, but it could be huge as well possibly. We all should trust the staff that they are out doing their jobs, and it sucks that they haven't gotten any new commits in the past 4 or 5 weeks, but we have doubted this staff and they have surprised us with them putting together a solid class last year, then the record and a shocking bowl game bid this year..

Give it time and SL and the staff got a plan, and we have to hope its the right one.. but it has been good so far. Also, its possble that GH and SL are bringing in 2 or 3 of the best QB prospects that we have had in terms of Star ratings.. in Pearson, Izzy, and Auggie(if its true he will be here in the Spring)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

25 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

I agree with you about waiting till February 1 to pass judgement, but that doesn't mean concern isn't warranted when a very active period of recruiting just passed with zero new commits. 

^This

3 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Give it time and SL and the staff got a plan, and we have to hope its the right one

They pretty much got a pass last year, and so all eyes are on them for this cycle.

With so much opportunity at the WR position in this offense, it raises eyebrows when we're not landing WRs.

Edited by Aldo
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UNT Mean Green said:

How we should view Recruiting is in 3 cycles.. 

1- Mid-Semster JUCO/Freshman--- Izzy, Auggie(Rumored) but who else? 

2- NSD-- we should focus on the Freshman mostly since they should be a lock to attend UNT, with an idea of what JUCOs we need to follow

3- Fall Camp- Who did we pick up after NSD along with which JUCOs were able to make it to campus. 

------------

With that being said Izzy by various recruiting services have him in the top 5/10 JUCO QBs so that is solid start, but can we piece together 1 or 2 more Mid-Term guys at WR or OL which would calm alot of fears here

Pearson, Davis, Johnson and other HS recruits are a solid core, but can we add a few late.. Galvin Holmes and Beau Corrles are still out there and if a few bigger schools fill up we could shock some people. But I was looking at 1 JUCO WR ranking and we had offers out to 4 or 5 of the top 10 with offers to Guys at Trinity Valley, Naverro, Georgia Military Prep, among others which could be good but may not know till the summer.

We don't know who is left out there just like how Jenkins, Wyche, Hoston, Peters, were all out there after NSD. While only Jenkins out of these guys played a big role this year, all of them were thought/viewed as quality adds.

• Jenkins may have been the best CB that we had all year, and hopefully he is healthier for the bowl game because he didn't seem to play the same during his limited time vs SM and when playing vs UTEP.
  • Wyche never found his place in the back-field but has another 2 years following this year
  • Hoston would have been another body to rotate but we will never know what his impact coulda been to the DL this year.
  • Peters didn't play much this year(Believe he was on Special Teams), if he played at all.. But should rotate into the LB core with Scott and Finney leaving.
Edited by BTG_Fan1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I'm not saying we focus on that twitter user either, but that user could have hurt us... I'm not saying that they did, but just planting that seed to possibly grow is the problem. We shouldn't be frustrated at all right now. Yes, we don't have the # of recruits that we should but UNT does this alot and SL even pointed this out and Vito did as well in his recruiting post today. There will be plenty of kids that come NSD, that can't go to a school because that class filled up and we can pounce on them while UTSA and TXST are full. Yes its very risky, but it could be huge as well possibly. We all should trust the staff that they are out doing their jobs, and it sucks that they haven't gotten any new commits in the past 4 or 5 weeks, but we have doubted this staff and they have surprised us with them putting together a solid class last year, then the record and a shocking bowl game bid this year..

Give it time and SL and the staff got a plan, and we have to hope its the right one.. but it has been good so far. Also, its possble that GH and SL are bringing in 2 or 3 of the best QB prospects that we have had in terms of Star ratings.. in Pearson, Izzy, and Auggie(if its true he will be here in the Spring)

So, you'r suggesting taking the best of the rest is better than? THAT sounds super high risk and very low reward in trying to fill a roster. I'm pretty risk averse, but I don't think that's a good idea.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, UNT Mean Green said:

Blue shirting isn't a path to a conference championship. And you are taking about one or two players a class.,

4 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

How we should view Recruiting is in 3 cycles.. 

1- Mid-Semster JUCO/Freshman--- Izzy, Auggie(Rumored) but who else? 

2- NSD-- we should focus on the Freshman mostly since they should be a lock to attend UNT, with an idea of what JUCOs we need to follow

3- Fall Camp- Who did we pick up after NSD along with which JUCOs were able to make it to campus. 

------------

With that being said Izzy by various recruiting services have him in the top 5/10 JUCO QBs so that is solid start, but can we piece together 1 or 2 more Mid-Term guys at WR or OL which would calm alot of fears here

Pearson, Davis, Johnson and other HS recruits are a solid core, but can we add a few late.. Galvin Holmes and Beau Corrles are still out there and if a few bigger schools fill up we could shock some people. But I was looking at 1 JUCO WR ranking and we had offers out to 4 or 5 of the top 10 with offers to Guys at Trinity Valley, Naverro, Georgia Military Prep, among others which could be good but may not know till the summer.

We don't know who is left out there just like how Jenkins, Wyche, Hoston, Peters, were all out there after NSD. While only Jenkins out of these guys played a big role this year, all of them were thought/viewed as quality adds.

• Jenkins may have been the best CB that we had all year, and hopefully he is healthier for the bowl game because he didn't seem to play the same during his limited time vs SM and when playing vs UTEP.
  • Wyche never found his place in the back-field but has another 2 years following this year
  • Hoston would have been another body to rotate but we will never know what his impact coulda been to the DL this year.
  • Peters didn't play much this year(Believe he was on Special Teams), if he played at all.. But should rotate into the LB core with Scott and Finney leaving.

They were out there because of risks, academic or otherwise. Not a solid recruiting strategy... At all. 

You cite 4 players and then have to justify why 3 never started. Hardly an effective recruiting strategy.I know you are trying to be positive, but Littrell and staff did this last year because they were a new staff taking over a 1-11 disaster. That isn't the case this year. Recruiting should have already been better than we have seen. The grace period ends in 50 days, then we start to judge. Right now, it looks like that judgement will be harsh indeed.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Do we honestly think the coaches aren't out recruiting?

No. And no one has accused them of that. Maybe not being as relentless as other staff, but I haven't seen any accusations of them not being out there at all.

The efforts in recruiting isn't by the guy doing the player edits, it's by the coaches but yet they don't get tagged in the posts. We see high schools saying thanks to UNT for coming by within the past week or 2, just because a kid doesn't commit doesn't mean they aren't trying.

Sure. They're definitely trying. Not sure that helps a critical, unbiased evaluation of their performance (results) so far in recruiting.

These coaches are having to change entire campus mindset and how UNT is viewed throughout the state.

Perhaps. But I really think we overrate this. These kids are so impressionable, our coaches get to paint the picture of what UNT is and, more importantly, what it is going to be when they are here. Such a small amount of these kids have watched a North Texas game prior to our recruitment of them.

Also, if your going to bash UNT bring facts and actual ways to fix I to compared to stupid tweets, saying fire the graphics dealing guy for no new commits. But most of all, if it's meant to bash and trash UNT then do it in a private account and not one that would possibly add to recruits worries out in the public, and again bring a solution to the table! 

With people paying to consume a product, that see no results.. I'm not seeing people lining up to make donations left and right with the sole purpose of recruiting. I'm not seeing these people offering up student ticket donations, nor doing other things to aid these coaches either.. 

not trying to attack you or anyone @BillySee58but the bashin of UNT has to stop. We have to find what's I see wrong with UNT in terms of it being viewed by recruits, so it can be corrected in the future. The coaches are out or were out recruiting, but whatever they told kids wasn't clicking that is something we can complain about but this is a young staff that has only been around for 1 year. Yes, they need to produce but we need to find ways to aid and not potentially hurt them or undermine them. 

I don't often agree but I'm worried as well, but I'm going to hold back the sky is falling till signing day. But I'm not going to call for coaches to be fired or replaced yet.. 

This is a message board. This isn't a site affiliated with the athletic department or school where our goal is to paint as positive a picture as possible. It's for discussion.

Of course we love to talk good about our school. But intelligent, well-thought-out discussion is always welcome, even if the result is not favorable towards our school and program. As long is criticism is well founded, it has every right to be on this board.

And, back to my actual point from the previous post, you said that the Twitter account in question should be for promoting UNT. My point was that the owner of that account, and them alone, gets to choose what that account is for. That was all my point was there. Not that I condone them, or anyone else, bashing our results.

• Upvote 4

12 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Blue shirting isn't a path to a conference championship. And you are taking about one or two players a class.,

They were out there because of risks, academic or otherwise. Not a solid recruiting strategy... At all. 

You cite 4 players and then have to justify why 3 never started. Hardly an effective recruiting strategy.I know you are trying to be positive, but Littrell and staff did this last year because they were a new staff taking over a 1-11 disaster. That isn't the case this year. Recruiting should have already been better than we have seen. The grace period ends in 50 days, then we start to judge. Right now, it looks like that judgement will be harsh indeed.

Would you please explain this opinion further?

59 minutes ago, UNT Mean Green said:

Would you please explain this opinion further?

Blue shirting is a player who comes into the program as a PWO with kind of a scholarship waiting in the wings for X player once they start practicing. The scholarship can then be added to the following classes count. The rule to it though is that the blueshift player could not have been "recruited" as in they could not have taken a visit to your campus, a coach could not have visited the school or player, or a coach cannot do an in-home visit. It's practically based off of measurables and highlights. It's a spitball recruiting method that has grown some legs over the last 4 or 5 years. These guys typically aren't going to come in and contribute right away or make a significant impact at any point in time during their career (like everything, there are exceptions). It's to help build depth without having to eat away at scholarships right away. Though depth is important, only 11 can play the game at a time. That is my understanding of it. Maybe someone can bring a little more clarity to it. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Perhaps. But I really think we overrate this. These kids are so impressionable, our coaches get to paint the picture of what UNT is and, more importantly, what it is going to be when they are here. Such a small amount of these kids have watched a North Texas game prior to our recruitment of them.

Really solid post, but I want to point out your point and everyone elses counterpoint imo are flawed.

The only local kids we should be recruiting are guys who want to stay near home, a kid like Brandon Garner was. Otherwise, the opinion of everyone who knows UNT athletics, including most of it's alums which live locally is it's terrible. Regardless of facts. Anyone recruited to UNT from say Coppell is going to hear from everyone else around them that the school is terrible.

I'd rather we recruit outside the metroplex and Oklahoma, where people don't really have as much of an opinion.

The only type of person who could overcome that would be a football Jesus. Someone like Todd Dodge who was able to get good recruits because everyone in the state thought he was good and would win. Otherwise, it's a losing battle until perception changes.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Blue shirting is a player who comes into the program as a PWO with kind of a scholarship waiting in the wings for X player once they start practicing. The scholarship can then be added to the following classes count. The rule to it though is that the blueshift player could not have been "recruited" as in they could not have taken a visit to your campus, a coach could not have visited the school or player, or a coach cannot do an in-home visit. It's practically based off of measurables and highlights. It's a spitball recruiting method that has grown some legs over the last 4 or 5 years. These guys typically aren't going to come in and contribute right away or make a significant impact at any point in time during their career (like everything, there are exceptions). It's to help build depth without having to eat away at scholarships right away. Though depth is important, only 11 can play the game at a time. That is my understanding of it. Maybe someone can bring a little more clarity to it. 

And these aren't going to be guys with scholarship offers from other universities. At least not blueshirts at UNT (sure, Tennessee may be able to get a kid with resources and with other offers to wait a semester. That isn't happening at any CUSA school, especially UNT). 

It's a gray shirt that can participate in the fall practice. 

How has Caleb Chumbley worked out so far?

• Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

Really solid post, but I want to point out your point and everyone elses counterpoint imo are flawed.

The only local kids we should be recruiting are guys who want to stay near home, a kid like Brandon Garner was. Otherwise, the opinion of everyone who knows UNT athletics, including most of it's alums which live locally is it's terrible. Regardless of facts. Anyone recruited to UNT from say Coppell is going to hear from everyone else around them that the school is terrible.

I'd rather we recruit outside the metroplex and Oklahoma, where people don't really have as much of an opinion.

The only type of person who could overcome that would be a football Jesus. Someone like Todd Dodge who was able to get good recruits because everyone in the state thought he was good and would win. Otherwise, it's a losing battle until perception changes.

So we should just throw in the towel on one of the most talent rich areas in the country? Madness.

Bill Snyder would have never succeeded at K St with that attitude. When he got there, K State was a NATIONAL joke. Same for Mangino at Kansas. Those two changed that perception (Mangino temporarily, Snyder permanently) for those 2 universities. 

If you want a G5 comparison, look no further than Western Michigan. 

I also think that is more your perception as a long suffering fan than any high school kid who would only know about 6 to 8 years of UNT history (which now includes 2 bowl games). It isn't like UTSA has a much better reputation to work with, and they are slaying it this year.

• Upvote 1

Just now, wardly said:

Scout.com has UNT ranked 8th, UTSA 2nd behind WK. Rice is a spot or 2 ahead of us,UTEP is D.A.L.

247 is the most accurate and up to date recruiting tool for analysis. Let's not grab at imaginary straws because it says we're better. I understand your post is a fyi, but it's just not as accurate or in depth. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

Kinda weird to throw that out there in a discussion. Like saying, "this statement is rock solid fact, ignore the truth."

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

I have similar thoughts.  I know everyone likes to think of DFW and the surrounding region as a hot bed for recruiting (which it is for some), but try as we have over the years we just haven't been able to crack that nut.  Perhaps our reputation is so tarnished (not in the minds of the recruits necessarily, but in their parent's minds or grand-parent's or friend's parent's or grand-parent's), it will take years of winning in order to get to the point where we can convince the local kids to stay home.  If you've been around youth sports, you know that parents always think their son or daughter is better than they really are which means they probably think they are too good for North Texas.  Perhaps it's time for a different approach like trying to load up on Florida talent...somewhere that North Texas doesn't have as much baggage to deal with as we apparently have to deal with here. Some kids want to go away to school.  I'm sure Florida has some of those too.  I say find the money and darken the skies of Florida with recruiting trips.      

53 minutes ago, keith said:

I have similar thoughts.  I know everyone likes to think of DFW and the surrounding region as a hot bed for recruiting (which it is for some), but try as we have over the years we just haven't been able to crack that nut.  Perhaps our reputation is so tarnished (not in the minds of the recruits necessarily, but in their parent's minds or grand-parent's or friend's parent's or grand-parent's), it will take years of winning in order to get to the point where we can convince the local kids to stay home.  If you've been around youth sports, you know that parents always think their son or daughter is better than they really are which means they probably think they are too good for North Texas.  Perhaps it's time for a different approach like trying to load up on Florida talent...somewhere that North Texas doesn't have as much baggage to deal with as we apparently have to deal with here. Some kids want to go away to school.  I'm sure Florida has some of those too.  I say find the money and darken the skies of Florida with recruiting trips.      

The head coaches in the state of Florida, P5 and G5, are absolute stud recruiters. I wouldn't pour too much money in recruiting that state. 

We need to push La Tech out of East Texas and start diving into Louisiana while we're at it. Also, Arkansas every year has kids get overlooked time and time again. And Oklahoma pushes out pretty good talent as well. Lastly, snag up as many talented 3 star DFW recruits as possible. 

Get into these areas, set up shop, and let the kids filter through UA, OU, and LSU to eventually us. 

If, and big if, we can do that our recruiting classes will take care of themselves on an annual basis. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, keith said:

UTSA is doing fine. La. Tech also. The problem isn't UNT, it's been the PEOPLE that have been recruiting for UNT.

Again, I see a long suffering fan transposing what he thinks a recruit should think about UNT onto a recruit, actually all DFW recruits. This is much more your issue than theirs. Hire a staff that knows how to recruit and you will reap the benefits.

Ask UTSA

• Upvote 1