This weekend: what do we want to happen, and why?

MeanGreenDan

Someone mentioned this in another thread, but its worth adding for the purpose of your thread:

The Navy game against Temple will, evidently, have huge implications. We want to root for Temple because if Navy wins it could potentially delay the announcement of bowl games for several days since they'd technically be in the running for the CFP. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, Tyler Maryak said:

Someone mentioned this in another thread, but its worth adding for the purpose of your thread:

The Navy game against Temple will, evidently, have huge implications. We want to root for Temple because if Navy wins it could potentially delay the announcement of bowl games for several days since they'd technically be in the running for the CFP. 

Exactly. I want to find out this weekend.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Scenario #1: we want La Tech to lose to WKU, so we have a much higher chance of landing a berth in HoD.

Scenario #2: we want Navy to win and Western Michigan to lose, so we don't have to be a sacrificial lamb to a T-Rex (Navy) in the AFB. since Navy looks like the best team in the G5.

Edited by PRAK
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

16 minutes ago, PRAK said:

Scenario #1: we want La Tech to lose to WKU, so we have a much higher chance of landing a berth in HoD.

Scenario #2: we want Navy to win and Western Michigan to lose, so we don't have to be a sacrificial lamb to a T-Rex (Navy) in the AFB. since Navy looks like the best team in the G5.

But if W Michigan loses and Navy wins, then the bowl announcements might be delayed until after Navy plays Army next week. I think W Michigan winning and Navy doing whatever is fine because W Michigan will make the Cotton Bowl. An undefeated G5 team shouldn't have to be dropped in ranking because a 2 loss team prevailed in a championship game. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

39 minutes ago, greeneagle1 said:

But if W Michigan loses and Navy wins, then the bowl announcements might be delayed until after Navy plays Army next week. I think W Michigan winning and Navy doing whatever is fine because W Michigan will make the Cotton Bowl. An undefeated G5 team shouldn't have to be dropped in ranking because a 2 loss team prevailed in a championship game. 

Just knowing how the Committee values SOS, and conference champs, I could see them leapfrogging WMU if the broncos lose. WMU's glaring inconsistency is their weak OOC scheduling.(similar to Marshall 2 years ago when they scheduled Purdue and some other crap opponent.)They have wins against NW and Illinois, who both have been pretty bad this year. the committees logic is they want the best teams, not the most deserving teams. Just look at how Michigan and Clemson stayed in place after losing 2 weeks ago. I don't like it, I think it's BS, but that's how this new Playoff committee  shitshow operates. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, PRAK said:

Just knowing how the Committee values SOS, and conference champs, I could see them leapfrogging WMU if the broncos lose. WMU's glaring inconsistency is their weak OOC scheduling.(similar to Marshall 2 years ago when they scheduled Purdue and some other crap opponent.)They have wins against NW and Illinois, who both have been pretty bad this year. the committees logic is they want the best teams, not the most deserving teams. Just look at how Michigan and Clemson stayed in place after losing 2 weeks ago. I don't like it, I think it's BS, but that's how this new Playoff committee  shitshow operates. 

Right so we need W Michigan to win so we actually know who we will be playing and not wait another week for Navy to finish their season. W Michigan will keep their ranking if they win. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, MeanGreenDan said:

Since we're not playing this weekend, but it seems like a number of the games will impact our bowl placement, I'm looking for some guidance.

What games are most important to us, who should we be cheering for, and what effect will the win or loss have on our eventual bowl placement?

Would like to see ULL win for a possible regional match up.

• Upvote 3

Are you guys serious that you want Navy to lose just because you're impatient?  Geez ...

I think Navy winning and moving into the top bowls would be the biggest help for us.   I'm all for waiting if it means a better bowl situation for us.  

That said, I don't know if they will have to wait.  You would think they could work it out so that they know exactly what will happen whether Navy beats or loses to Army.  They can hopefully arrange things so that there may be only two or three bowls affected by the outcome.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

48 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

Are you guys serious that you want Navy to lose just because you're impatient?  Geez ...

I think Navy winning and moving into the top bowls would be the biggest help for us.   I'm all for waiting if it means a better bowl situation for us.  

That said, I don't know if they will have to wait.  You would think they could work it out so that they know exactly what will happen whether Navy beats or loses to Army.  They can hopefully arrange things so that there may be only two or three bowls affected by the outcome.  

You would rather wait until December 10th to find out we might be playing on December 17th? That gives everyone including the players and team only 1 week to prepare for their opponent, make travel arrangements and get there early enough to even do the bowl activities before the game. 

P.S. I never said I wanted Navy to lose this Saturday. I did say I want W Michigan to win so they go undefeated into the Cotton Bowl. 

Edited by greeneagle1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

IF Navy beats Temple they should jump WMSU and go to Cotton Bowl,which leaves Armed Forces Bowl a choice between Air Force and Army.While no one likes a rematch[ hear that Big 12] , Army vs UNT would at least match 2 fairly even teams. We would probably be a 10 point dog, and can't expect 7 turnovers, while against Navy we would be 21 point dogs,and 14 against Air Force. I would like to see both So.Alabama and ULL lose, which would open 2 slots for 5&7 teams which MIGHT give us more options I would rather go on the road against an opponent that we can compete against that get embarrassed  by Navy or Air Force. The Midshipmen put up 75 on SMU, scoring on nearly every position[ like UTEP against UNT], and could drop 100 on the EAGLES. Of further note, Texas is 1st team in if USA or ULL stumbles, and certainly would be Armed Forces choice over us if they decide to play.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1