WBAP's Steve Lamb Saying He's Hearing its NT vs Navy In Armed Forces Bowl

FirefightnRick

Very tough opponent, but I'm definitely all for it. Nice scheduling two days before Christmas on a Friday, and being a mid-afternoon game, the traffic MAY not be all that horrendous. I went to the game last year and had a good time.

11 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Their stadium seats 50K. If we get to this game with a service academy or UT this game will be a sellout. That has to be a selling point for the bowl. And on the attendance rankings on bowl games, 50K would easily be top 10 in attendance. 

We shall see, but I think they have Navy pretty much penciled in for the game.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

You also have to realize that was an 8 win team going into the HoD, and we have a 5 win team now... the draw is going to be less even if we where in the HoD.  

Not trying to be a wet blanket, but I agree here. Think lots of our hardcore fans are overestimating the excitement among the casuals by backdooring into a bowl game.

We all know the team progressed nicely this year, but to our casual fan, all they see is we have a 5-7 record and lost 4 of our last 5 games in pretty lopsided fashion. In 2013, there was a solid feeling of upward momentum, plus 8 wins, along with a bowl on New Year's Day to create an ideal scenario for the attendance we had.

I think it'll be tough to come close to replicating that in either Dallas or Ft. Worth this year, if we're even lucky enough to land in one of those bowls. Would love to be wrong though. I'll be there in any scenario.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

With a team like Navy, you really can't look at how they've beat other teams and what that means for you. You can either slow them down or you can't. With them, it's not a question of athleticism, it's a cerebral game. Scores reflect that. If we can play them like we played Army (forcing turnovers and playing disciplined ball), we have a chance to play a close game or even win. We just can't play them like we played UTEP who by the way got pounded by Army (60 something to 10?) and we beat Army by double digits... 

• Upvote 5

5 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

If we can play them like we played Army (forcing turnovers and playing disciplined ball)

Army out gained us 302-202, averaged 4.5 yards a rush, and held the ball for 15 more minutes than we did.  If it wasn't for the SEVEN turnovers they would have beat us.

Navy has 9 turnovers this entire year. 

3 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Army out gained us 302-202, averaged 4.5 yards a rush, and held the ball for 15 more minutes than we did.  If it wasn't for the SEVEN turnovers they would have beat us.

Now in defense of the team, 3 or 4 of those were in the 4th quarter. Good, disciplined defense through the 1st three quarters forced their hand into doing things they don't like doing and that is when the onslaught of turnovers really started to happen. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

I was just looking at overall team rushing defense stats and Houston is number 2 in the country behind Alabama. Houston allowed 1175 total rushing yards (2.9 YPC, also 2nd behind Bama) all year but allowed 306 against Navy and 4.9 YPC. If it wasn't for 306 rushing yards, Houston would have beat them, right? The point of me bringing this to the conversation is strange things happen in any given game. Houston, who had a great run defense this year, had a bad game.

I'm sure you watched the game against Army. We FORCED most of those turnovers and if it wasn't for a knee or elbow down here or there we would have forced more. It's not like Army handed the game. Our defense was aggressive in going after the football. Army, like Houston against Navy, had a bad game. Let's make Navy have a bad game if we meet.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Pretty crazy stat, but our defense was well prepared for Army and it showed. Maybe some of those turnovers were anomalies, however we looked the part that day. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Houston, who had a great run defense this year, had a bad game.

Or... Navy has an incredible run offense that even Houston was not able to stop.  Houston held OU to 2.2 YPC, and OU averages 5.2 YPC for the season. 

Navy Averages 6.0 yards per rush.  They have 53 rushing touch downs.  When they pass, they are effective, with a 3 to 1 TD to INT ratio.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but this is not a favorable matchup, set your expectations accordingly.  

6 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Or... Navy has an incredible run offense that even Houston was not able to stop.  Houston held OU to 2.2 YPC, and OU averages 5.2 YPC for the season. 

Navy Averages 6.0 yards per rush.  They have 53 rushing touch downs.  When they pass, they are effective, with a 3 to 1 TD to INT ratio.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but this is not a favorable matchup, set your expectations accordingly.  

Could we beat the Vegas spread!!!! Kidding!! GMG

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

My expectations are set. My original post said IF we can play Navy like we played Army, the game could be close or we could even win. Key is, if we play them like we played Army. Lot of time to prepare if that's who we draw. Regardless, I think the benefits of played local and against a strong opponent will be better for us than playing some no-name far away from home. I pick Navy in Ft Worth if I had to. No shame in losing to this Navy team even if you lose by double digits.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, PRAK said:

While I see the exposure would be great, I don't see how the AFB is supposed to be one of the best bowl games in texas? Maybe I'm just not a fan of playin bowl games in other CFB teams stadiums. Oh well. I literally live 2 blocks from the stadium. AFTER PARTY AT MY PLACE 

We will all be there!???

47 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I would love love it if we played in FW or Dallas. It's the only chance I'd get to see us play.

Lots of people hearing different things. I hope this one or @SSP are correct.

It's been pretty quiet today and last night. 

From what I have been told... There is  no way to speculate where we are going at this point.  I KNOW that Heart of Dallas would love to have us BUT  there are so many trades and conversations going on right now so  who the heck knows... Everything has changed in the past 2 days and  my guess is that it will continue to change over the next 4-5 days. I keep getting information and then that information changes.  Lol

Edited by SSP
  • Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

My expectations are set. My original post said IF we can play Navy like we played Army, the game could be close or we could even win. Key is, if we play them like we played Army. Lot of time to prepare if that's who we draw. Regardless, I think the benefits of played local and against a strong opponent will be better for us than playing some no-name far away from home. I pick Navy in Ft Worth if I had to. No shame in losing to this Navy team even if you lose by double digits.

Army and Navy are not in the same class this year.  I don't think we're worried about the shame of losing to Navy by double digits, because that's almost a given...but I am worried about the shame of losing to Navy in a beatdown worse than what WKU did to us.

• Upvote 1