We're Going Bowling! But Where?

shaft

1 minute ago, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

Would be an absolute Dream.  But wont happen.

Not impossible, and I agree that I would love it. They obviously have plenty of pull and they might just like the idea.

Just now, tmjerm said:

You also wonder if the way it shakes out that TCU NT wind up in the hod...that'd be pretty sweet 

I like that also.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

I think UT has to get bowl eligible before they start dreaming of playing us in a bowl game. lol But seriously a 5-7 or 6-6 UT probably passes on a HoD Bowl against.  Scared of the PR blow from losing.

Agreed, but I am going to dream.

Looking at this WKU and MTSU are likely to switch.. WKU recruits heavily out of Florida.. Also, most conferences usually refund the schools that go bowling in terms of Travel/Hotels... Also as if you look down, it has UTSA playing in the Bahama Bowl, that will cost a nice bit of change. Having UNT and LA playing in close to home games will help offset UTSA

Having WKU playing in FL, LAT in NO, UNT in DFW, and then MTSU in New Mexico, with UTSA down in the Bahama's... 

I do understand the thoughts that the conference winner would like to go with the sexiest bowl, but from a cash-strap conference this would make the most sense.. Also, it would be very interesting to see the turnout in terms of attendance as well with us playing Army here during the holidays. Could be a descent sized crowd with Military Bases like Fort Hood, Bliss, and Sam Houston and the large # of Vets that live in the DFW area as well.

The funny thing is the weather here for the bowl game, could be nearly the same as it was at West Point as well lol, and I could only image what Ek and Reff could do with 1 month to plan for Army this time around 

• Upvote 1

IF we got a bowl,  getting smashed by UT or TCU would be a terrible situation - we aren't there yet, not even close.  Don't kid yourselves.  

best scenario is we get a manageable opponent in HOD, but manaheable opponent is far more important than which bowl - if we get a bowl.

• Upvote 11
  • Downvote 11

12 minutes ago, Mickey said:

IF we got a bowl,  getting smashed by UT or TCU would be a terrible situation - we aren't there yet, not even close.  Don't kid yourselves.  

best scenario is we get a manageable opponent in HOD, but manaheable opponent is far more important than which bowl - if we get a bowl.

Honestly I'm not totally convinced of that.  A more visible loss might be > winnable toilet bowl...some of these offshore bowls are so forgettable for recruits....But the impact a closer bowl can have on a fanbase is huge.  I think at this point rallying the sleeping giant that is our fanbase is really important.  HOD was a huge party for the casual NT grad and we can get that train loaded up again.  

• Upvote 3

We shall agree to disagree, but I understand your thought.  I feel like getting beat 56-3 in HOD is not going to awaken the sleeping giant.  Well, it might wake up but will go right back to sleep saying "same ole North Texas".

its nice to even think we have the possibility of considering this, much better problem than another 1-11 season.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 6

3 minutes ago, tmjerm said:

Honestly I'm not totally convinced of that.  A more visible loss might be > winnable toilet bowl...some of these offshore bowls are so forgettable for recruits....But the impact a closer bowl can have on a fanbase is huge.  I think at this point rallying the sleeping giant that is our fanbase is really important.  HOD was a huge party for the casual NT grad and we can get that train loaded up again.  

when you say sleeping giant and fan base, i got confused... When we were good back in the day going to the bowls in the Sun Belt and playing Baylor UT etc, we still didn't sale out Fouts...

and I agree with Mickey.. getting a beat down will not/won't help... We literally lost damn near half the crowd tonite and we were tied going into the 4th... being on the bad end of beat down will only hurt this team... we need to Win vs UTEP, and win the bowl game to build some real positive energy going into the off-season and next year. If that means laying another beat down on Army, lets do this.. but if it means playing TCU or UT nope sorry...

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

6 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

On what basis do you assume that UT--this year's UT--would beat UNT 56-3?  They just lost to KU, and we could probably beat KU 1 out of 3 games.

I'm just going to say the Big 12 has some very good, and if not great offenses... just look at what WKU did vs us or even LA Tech... or should I even bring up Florida? 

and my last comment... Have you seen our OLine... yea that should be even more reason to doubt us even getting to 3 points...

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2