A Fine Thought

TheReal_jayD

10 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Agree. But the coaching staff should be looking for a top notch backup or two in the next recruiting class.  Find another Fine.

With the continued success of Fine and the continued praise from the coaches, will this limit our prospects for Qbs in the next class? One of our biggest selling points is you can be a starter now! Houston has been unreal on how they continue to bring in talented qbs! GMG

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

With the continued success of Fine and the continued praise from the coaches, will this limit our prospects for Qbs in the next class? One of our biggest selling points is you can be a starter now! Houston has been unreal on how they continue to bring in talented qbs! GMG

I think that "QBs have great success under this coaching staff" is a better selling point to most of these kids. Typically, they are competitive and believe they can win the starting job.

• Upvote 3

Fine will  fine this season and then for the next 3 years. 

Hey folks, he's only played most of 4 games at the NCAA D1 level & I haven't seen anything that makes me think he will go backwards with his progress.                                        

He's a gamer & one that has played a part in re-sparking the interest in a football season that some on this board thought would be a win'less football season.   

He stuck with his commitment to North Texas when he could have bailed with a preferred W.O. situation at OU & OSU who reportedly made last minute efforts to change his mind. Those 2 schools were given a nice tip from someone who said they should get him on both their respective campuses.    How many kids have we seen change their minds in recruiting wars the last umpteen years who could have made a huge difference in our W/L records ?    Mason Fine stuck with us--we should stick with him.

GMG!  

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Why?  Just curious, but do you have some information worth sharing or was he someone Harrell connected with while at Washington State?

Well considering he is our recruiting expert and we've offered him I'd assume the staff is going after him pretty hard. After next year our QB cupboard is bare. Shanbour gone, Means converted, O'hara gone, Morris gone, Chumley coverted. As of right now the only other QB we have past 2017 besides Fine (and he's not a guarantee as a PWO) is Mitch Cason

I wouldn't be surprised to see this staff try to get 2 QB's this class

Edited by MGNation92
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Why?  Just curious, but do you have some information worth sharing or was he someone Harrell connected with while at Washington State?

2 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Well considering he is our recruiting expert and we've offered him I'd assume the staff is going after him pretty hard. After next year and QB cupboard is bare. Shanbour gone, Means converted, O'hara gone, Morris gone, Chumley coverted. As of right now the only other QB we have past 2017 besides Fine (and he's not a guarantee as a PWO) is Mitch Cason

I wouldn't be surprised to see this staff try to get 2 QB's this class

Just from talking to people involved in situation. And with Robbie he seems very interested with the program and the staff. Idk about Seth and his interest level at all. But he has never  really seemed that interested to me. I have been wrong before. But if i was a betting man I always thought our two best chances for QB have been Cade Pearson and Robbie Blosser.  

• Upvote 1

Through 5 games (via MaxPreps and @UNTLifer). Pearson has nearly matched his totals from last year.

Player       Comp            Att      %Cmp           Yds     Yds/Att          TDs       Yds/G
Pearson 75 118 63.6% 1237 10.48 15 247.4
Blosser 84 121 69.4% 1512 12.50 23 302.4

(hope formatting works)

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Aldo said:

Through 5 games (via MaxPreps and @UNTLifer). Pearson has nearly matched his totals from last year.

Player       Comp            Att      %Cmp           Yds     Yds/Att          TDs       Yds/G
Pearson 75 118 63.6% 1237 10.48 15 247.4
Blosser 84 121 69.4% 1512 12.50 23 302.4

(hope formatting works)

Blosser school is quite a bit smaller that Pearson. its almost a 1/4 of the size. I believe it actually smaller school than Mason Fines. i believe that could be hurting his recrui
ting

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Blosser school is quite a bit smaller that Pearson. its almost a 1/4 of the size. I believe it actually smaller school than Mason Fines. i believe that could be hurting his recrui
ting

I'm from Texas High. It's certainly big; Texarkana big. But definitely not DFW suburbs big.