Dallas Area Firefighters, Cops & Paramedics get 4 Free Tickets to SMU-TCU game

All About UNT

28 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

Do we laugh at SMU for having to give tickets away to what should be a premier game or do we envy SMU for having the gumption to give tickets away to fill the stadium for what should be a premier game? I need to know which direction to direct my ire.

We envy them. It's TCU they play. A local rival. They don't need to give out tickets to the game for a good showing. If the campaign is successful though they might build some support In Dallas.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

Do we laugh at SMU for having to give tickets away to what should be a premier game or do we envy SMU for having the gumption to give tickets away to fill the stadium for what should be a premier game? I need to know which direction to direct my ire.

An empty seat is lost opportunity! Fill Apogee! GMG 

3 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

So, what's laughable about it?  Great cause to recognize the fallen officers and first responders.  Help me understand what is funny or negative with a school getting the city officers, firefighters, and all first responders involved.  

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

5 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

How is SMU-TCU a premier game?  They probably couldn't even sell it out when both were in the SWC.  I don't think SMU-TCU has been a premier game since the late 1930s.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, TJC80 said:

So, what's laughable about it?  Great cause to recognize the fallen officers and first responders.  Help me understand what is funny or negative with a school getting the city officers, firefighters, and all first responders involved.  

It's SMU. It's all laughable. 

4 hours ago, Quoner said:

Pretty classy of SMU to finally return all the love @emmitt01 has shown them over the years. 

You are just so clever and hilarious.  

Let's be sure to make fun of a Dallas school that has the smarts to honor our men and women in public service...especially when the city lost 5 of its own just two months ago.  

Meanwhile North Texas has an alum who was a SWAT commander and was downtown during the events of July 7th...but no such attempt to recognize police and fire.  

Hilarious

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 11

22 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Let's be sure to make fun of a Dallas school that has the smarts to honor our men and women in public service...especially when the city lost 5 of its own just two months ago.  

Meanwhile North Texas has an alum who was a SWAT commander and was downtown during the events of July 7th...but no such attempt to recognize police and fire.  

Hilarious

Missed the part where I mocked the promotion or cause or praised UNT athletics, but point taken and thanks for your service to Dallas.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, GangGreen said:

Confucius say: Most people that like free shit, don't come back when shit ain't free.

Agree.  I think there probably situations where some free tickets can be distributed, but you've gotta be judicious about it.  Perhaps this is one of those situations.  You need to make sure the intended honorees are the ones using the tickets and not just flood the market with them.

30 minutes ago, kj86 said:

Agree.  I think there probably situations where some free tickets can be distributed, but you've gotta be judicious about it.  Perhaps this is one of those situations.  You need to make sure the intended honorees are the ones using the tickets and not just flood the market with them.

Yeah, this is probably one of those situations. Not sure the first responder honoree demo is the same as the random middle school parent, but the AD could probably find a consultant to help make sure. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

14 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

It is heads up ball for SMU to honor first responders. The city suffered a tremendous loss when those brave officers were killed protecting the citizen's they swore to defend. Additionally this game isn't against a FCS opponent. It is TCU, and it is at a nice stadium where the officers, fire fighters, and medics can hopefully have a nice time with their families.

I attended the memorial service for DART Officer Brent Thompson. It was a powerful send-off for a true hero. I don't know if a football game is enough to honor the men and women who lay their lives on the line for the communities they serve but it isn't a bad start. Especially since most who do that job don't want any recognition, they just want to serve.

I know those who are making fun of SMU needing to give out free tickets are in no way doing it at the expense of law enforcement, fire, or paramedics. I love to poke fun at the ponies, but I think this time they got it right. I would like our school to reach out and do something similar. Extend it to teachers, city workers. Concessions don't get purchased by empty seats, plus it fosters a sense of community.

Just my 2 cents...

45 minutes ago, GM1998 said:

It is heads up ball for SMU to honor first responders. The city suffered a tremendous loss when those brave officers were killed protecting the citizen's they swore to defend. Additionally this game isn't against a FCS opponent. It is TCU, and it is at a nice stadium where the officers, fire fighters, and medics can hopefully have a nice time with their families.

I attended the memorial service for DART Officer Brent Thompson. It was a powerful send-off for a true hero. I don't know if a football game is enough to honor the men and women who lay their lives on the line for the communities they serve but it isn't a bad start. Especially since most who do that job don't want any recognition, they just want to serve.

I know those who are making fun of SMU needing to give out free tickets are in no way doing it at the expense of law enforcement, fire, or paramedics. I love to poke fun at the ponies, but I think this time they got it right. I would like our school to reach out and do something similar. Extend it to teachers, city workers. Concessions don't get purchased by empty seats, plus it fosters a sense of community.

Just my 2 cents...

On July 15th, I went down to Southside Ballroom for a Slightly Stoopid concert.  I was there very early because I'm always first in line for this band.   I didn't realize that it was right across the street from the main Dallas Police station.  They had the patrol cars of the fallen officers out there and officers in full dress paying their respects. It was a sobering experience.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

Hilarious

What does smoo have to do with Dallas?