Just Received A Verbal From Someone Out Of Houston

Eagle-96

It begins with a verbal.  Some kids keep their promise.  (Ask OU & OSU about an OK'ee who kept his).

Sometimes having your cupboard left almost bare by a prior staff has its percs? Just not many for sure but....you can play now?

We need to do a bunch of recruiting just to get to the scholly' minimum from all accounts. 

I've not given up on this Fall's North Texas football team, though.   They could very well jell.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

So question... I wonder if UNT will have him come watch the game when they play Rice?  Also, does anyone know if him or any of the other Recruits will be coming to any other games this year?

Not sure if Pearson had anything to do with helping recruit but Pearson does follow him, would be great if Pearson is talking to others about joining these guys at UNT

58 minutes ago, baberuthbomber8 said:

So question... I wonder if UNT will have him come watch the game when they play Rice?  Also, does anyone know if him or any of the other Recruits will be coming to any other games this year?

Not sure if Pearson had anything to do with helping recruit but Pearson does follow him, would be great if Pearson is talking to others about joining these guys at UNT

Yeah I would bet they invite every Houston area kid to the game. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Yeah I would bet they invite every Houston area kid to the game. 

I would EXPECT this.   However, I bet there are several guys in Houston with offers from both UNT & Rice, so some of them may be on the other sideline.   Need to win this one to impress these guys.   We've already slipped in DFW recruiting losing to SMU.

13 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I would EXPECT this.   However, I bet there are several guys in Houston with offers from both UNT & Rice, so some of them may be on the other sideline.   Need to win this one to impress these guys.   We've already slipped in DFW recruiting losing to SMU.

No doubt, and that is fine because at some point you hope we get them on our campus, and in our facilities and in front of our coaches.  Who we will see if they can out recruit people.  So far its up in the air, but I do like where we are headed.  We are going after guys with a decent offer list but not one that is so full of big time offers we have no chance. 

On 9/19/2016 at 0:30 AM, greenminer said:

Other FBS Offers

AF
Army
ECU
Fresno St
NMSU

With the service and rigor of AF & Army it is almost unfair to call them FBS offers.  That being said we should be the verbal choice over all these listed team for student athlete in Houston.  Fresno maybe nice but that is way too far away for a family to consider for a G5 program.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Fresno has been a good program for a while, but it is in a pretty crappy area of California.  I think the key is the kids meeting our coaches, getting on our campus, seeing the facilities, diversity of the student body, excellent academic programs, etc... and the coaches selling the vision of where we are headed.  I love the energy of our staff and really expect them to excel at recruiting.  I also take Littrell to be a selective person, really going after specific players for the system and not just throwing a net out there like I think the previous staff might have done.

• Upvote 1

On 9/21/2016 at 5:27 PM, GangGreen said:

I'm not following....

If you just want an education and play football Air Force and Army Academies aren't for you.  It is more than a commitment to play football and do military drills while in school.  The military and a career as an officer is still available to these guys if they want it with a degree in hand from any FBS school.  I have long thought it would be more appropriate for the Service Academies to play at the FCS level and skip the FCS playoffs like the Ivy League and HBCU Conferences.  But as an Army veteran I do love to see them play the "big boys" 10 weeks out of the year.

Edited by Mike Jackson

1 minute ago, Mike Jackson said:

If you just want an education and play football Air Force and Army Academies aren't for you.  It is more than a commitment to play football and do military drills while in school.  The military and a career as an officer is still available to these guys if they want it with a degree in hand from any FBS school.  I have long thought it would be more appropriate for the Service Academies to play at the FCS level and skip the FCS playoffs like the Ivy League and HBCU Conferences.

But they are FBS. The last time I checked we have lost to Navy, Army and Air Force. If they should drop down, so should we.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, GangGreen said:

But they are FBS. The last time I checked we have lost to Navy, Army and Air Force. If they should drop down, so should we.

No comparison they aren't competing on a level playing field.  Making a bowl game for them is near impossible for them most years.  And with the extra commitments they have as cadets/midshipmen they don't have time to employ "complex" defensive or offensive schemes.  Moreover unless they have changed things recently these future officers have to switch from "football shape" to military fitness every offseason.  And no good offensive lineman or interior defensive lineman are "fit" according to military standards.  "Congrats on a great season with 8 sacks DT Joe Smith now you have 4 months to drop 50 lbs and run 2 miles in 16 minutes for the Army Physical Fitness Test"   UNT has no excuses for their ineptitude that are hardwired into the school itself or extra requirements for their student athletes.  It all just years of bad perception, alumni apathy, administrative failure and poor marketing that causes the issues here.   And we have also have the worst lost to FCS school by an FBS school in history.  And App State beat Michigan and ranked Iowa lost to ND State so the point about us losing to them as some kind of justification for your argument lacks legitimacy. 

Facts are facts and while the recruiting staff and coaches deserve credit for getting this verbal it would be better if the some of competing offers were closer geographically to North Texas.  And if they are getting verbals from recruits with P5 offers that is even better.  Fresno State and ECU aren't conference rivals or regional rivals.  And NMSU is in horrible shape right now being kicked out of the "lowly" Sun Belt.  So a competent staff should win most of these recruiting battle with a competing offer list that looks like this one.  This kid lives in Texas, not New Mexico, Arizona, Georgia, California,  North Carolina, or South Carolina.  If he lived closer to one of those schools it would be bigger accomplishment.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

No comparison they aren't competing on a level playing field.  Making a bowl game for them is near impossible for them most years.  And with the extra commitments they have as cadets/midshipmen they don't have time to employ "complex" defensive or offensive schemes.  

What's the basis for the bold?  Air Force and Navy have over 20 bowl appearances each.

Navy has missed only 1 bowl game since 2003.  Air Force only 1 miss since 2007.

The service academies might not win a national title in this FBS environment, but they have had no trouble making bowl games.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_bowl_records

• Upvote 3